Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: how long does it take you leave?

I do all the engine checks, etc..., before buttoning up the boat, therefore, the only thing I have to do is open the seacock(s), remove the mainsail cover, fire up the engine and cast off. Most of the time all this takes less than 10 minutes if I out for just a daysail. For weekends or week-long trips it takes a bit longer, mainly because of the time it takes to put the duffel bag filled with clothes away, and fill the refrigerator with food, ice and beer. (The hard stuff stays on the boat all the time. )

Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

for me i get on the dink. row about 2-3 mins to my boat. get on turn motor on and get the it ready. bring dinghy up to mooring then take sail cover off and raise the sail and then untie the boat and motor out with the mail sail up.
Old 09-27-2012

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road

I am with CCriders in that I take my time setting out and check all systems. My roller furling has a bolt to lock it in place to keep it from unfurling. Remove the main sailcover, the topping lift is the main halyard, so it has to be moved, remove the sail ties. Check all lines that they are free, remove multiple dock lines, unplug the charger and stow the power cord. Check oil, turn on blower, open seacock and start engine and let it run for a few minutes. Check water flow, check autopilot and tiller sensor, find gloves and cushions. Go back to the house and pick up the stuff I forgot; extra water, handheld radio, extra hat, sunglasses and eyeglass straps.

Fortunately I save some time because the dock is 100' from the house.

So there is not much travel involved. I figure this all takes me about 30 minutes and I usually solo daysail for 2-4 hours.

Coming back in the time depends on what we did. If it was just me daysailing then there is not much clean up and just a matter of putting everything on I took off. But if we had company and rafted with others or whatever, then there is more cleaning up to do. This is my time to enjoy a beer and put everything in its right place and tidy the boat up. So it if takes 30 mintues or an hour it is no big deal.
Old 09-27-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road

Now for something completely diffrent....

I count on at least two hours, both ways.

Yep.

But let me explain...

1 I have a wife and two young girls.
2 The boat is currently about a 5 hour drive from home.
3 Because of this, we can't really day-sail, so we go for weekend trips or longer.
4 Four people for a weekend, two of them kids have LOTS of stuff to move to the boat and store.
5 The boat is fairly well "put to bed" when we leave as we aren't around a whole lot, so it takes a while to get everything back how it should be. IE some sails and dingy oars and cockpit cushions in the cabin, settee cushions often tipped up to prevent mold under and protect from possible leaks if we're having issues, etc. etc. etc.
6. Always find someone to talk to for a while, and since we aren't around very often, we like to talk to people when we get a chance.

When leaving we have a lot to do, since we've been on board for several days, dishes, trash, cleaning, packing and usually a last minute small project I want to get done before we go.

Oh.... to have the boat only a few minutes away... that would be nice. When it was only an hour and a half drive, if i was solo sailing, I could get on and go within 20 - 30 minutes if I really wanted to.
Old 09-27-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Takes me about 30 minutes to depart, 45 to put her to bed.

I single-hand, I have hank-on sails, and I de-rig my lines to stave off UV damage.

I also liveaboard, so for a daysail, I have to stow my mini-fridge and microwave oven so that they stay put. If I go for a longer sail, I transfer my food to the icebox and stow those items in my car. I'm not interested in carrying those two things on a longer sail, even if I'm going to another marina where there's shore power.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 09-27-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

We have too much stuff. If we've been at anchor or on a mooring, 5 minutes. If we've been on a dock for awhile, 2-4 hours. If we've been working on the boat today, it takes until tomorrow to put stuff away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-27-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I have to update my numbers... took me 15 minutes to button up when my main and genny were still on deck and needing to be rolled/folded. SO if I do that out on the water, I am like 5 minutes and gone, to leave.
Old 09-27-2012
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon47 View Post
Fortunately I save some time because the dock is 100' from the house.
Lucky!

I'm probably under 20 min for leaving (single handed). Probably about 30 when I get back.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 09-27-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

30min to prepare to get out, 30min to button her back up....could do it faster but sailing to relax....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 09-27-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I'm in the generally speaking, longer to come back than take off! I do have to put on a headsail, do not have this roller furling something or other that some folks have, so that probably adds a moment or two. I try to be ready a the end to just take off the next time. If I need fuel or drain the poop tank, I try to do that before the next trip or race out. any where from 30-90 min. in reality.

Marty