Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road
Re: how long does it take you leave?

Liveaboard, on a dock, 30' sailboat : 15 minutes if nobody is sitting in my way, and it begins with closing all the roof hatches, tipping delicate things over/wedging them in tight spaces so they don't fall and break. Then I go up in the cockpit and remove the wheel cover, start the engine, go on deck and remove the mainsail cover, remove parts of my dodger windows, and the entire dodger cover, center the traveler, clip the main halyard to the sail, and then run my (roller furling) jib sheets aft to the cockpit. By then, I can unplug from shore-power, untie from the dock and motor out of the marina until I raise my sails.

In the midst of this, before un-tying I check to make sure the Fwd/Rev/throttle all work as they should...habit...

There's always a weird "I know I'm forgetting something" feeling when it all happens too quickly and too fluidly. It's usually that I forget to take my fenders up while underway, and the feeling goes away after that. Of course, now after stating that fact, it may never happen again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2012

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

We trailer our 25 footer . . . every weekend. On a GOOD day, from the time that I stop the truck to the time that my wife pulls the trailer out of the water to park it, is about 30 minutes. That includes stepping the 30 foot mast, rigging all the lines and warming up the motor while she saunters back to the dock. On a bad day, an hour. However . . . it take a little more time loading the boat in the driveway, especially if we're going out for a week.
Old 11-14-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

From where?

It is a 10 minute walk to the dinghy dock from my house. The oars, a pfd and a sponge live in the Avon. I enjoy the row to the mooring. Another 5 minutes. Open things up, remove covers, check systems, start the engine and relax. Decide which head sail to hank on and do that 10 to 15 minutes (if it isn't blowing 20 ssw). Cast off. I need lazy jacks and a simpler way to cover the main when I return. Flaking the main properly and covering it are the most time consuming tasks. I probably spend 10 minutes on that. Stow the head sail or put it into a sail bag that stays on deck, 5 minutes. Shut down systems and final check, dry up any water that dripped in at the shaft seal if I used the engine, 5 or10 minutes. Row back to the dock. (20 to 30 minutes each way?)

I do not hurry any more. It is all an enjoyable part of the day so I consider finishing the breakfast dishes and going out the door as my departure. Zero minutes!

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 11-14-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-14-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

My boat is about 100 feet from my office window/home.

From the time I get off work to the time the boat can leave the slip is somewhat under five minutes.
Old 11-14-2012

MikoBee is on a distinguished road

It takes me about 35 minutes to unload, assemble, and launch my boat, assuming I don't screw it up somehow or break my foot pump. Another 30 to put it all back into and on top of the car.
Old 11-14-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Takes me about 15 minutes to get underway.

Normally, it takes me 45 minutes+ when I get back before I'm walking down the dock to leave. I like to arrive at a clean and ready boat, so I do all my cleaning and tidying up when I get back to the marina at the end of the day. Depends on how long I was on the boat....a quick day sail and I'm out fast....several days over a long weekend? I gotta go dump the holding tank, wash down the decks and cockpit, clean up the cabin....you know, more work.

I always plan this into my sailing.....I don't come back from a few days out overnighting at sunset, tired. I plan to have a few hours of daylight left and plenty of time to leisurely clean up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 11-14-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

I've known some who are liveaboards, like us, that are burdened with stuff on the deck, on the dock, in storage boxes and cars, etc. We own nothing ashore besides our bank account. If we are stocked with provisions and full water tanks, we can leave for a day sail within ten minutes or leave for a six month cruise in the same length of time. We are usually underway more than half of each year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew