SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Ventura West Marina (Ventura, CA) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/92525-ventura-west-marina-ventura-ca.html)

gstej 09-28-2012 10:48 AM

Ventura West Marina (Ventura, CA)

Hi all,

Has anyone had any recent experience (within the last year or so) with Ventura West Marina?

Thank you

SJ34 09-28-2012 11:00 AM

Re: Ventura West Marina (Ventura, CA)

Yes, what would you like to know?

gstej 09-28-2012 12:11 PM

We will be moving our boat there from the Great Lakes and living aboard in Phase II. Just wondering if it is a safe area, (hopefully quiet during the week!), and the reputation of the marina among folks with a slip there.

Thanks very much!

overbored 09-28-2012 12:38 PM

have you contacted the marina yet? slips in So. Cal have been in very short supply with long waiting lists.

Brewgyver 09-28-2012 12:47 PM

I've been there since May, and I'm very happy with the marina. When I bought my boat, it was in Phase II, on E dock, but the marina said there was a wait list to get into Phase II, and I had to move it to Phase I. Have you been on a wait list?

Anyway, Phase II is on the West side of the harbor, with just a strand about a quarter mile wide between it and the Ocean, and Phase I is on the East side. But Ventura Harbor is relatively small, and Phase I is only a couple of minutes further from the entrance channel. Frankly, I like Phase I better - the (floating) docks are concrete topped, the Rest Room/Showers have been recently renovated, all new fixtures, floor, wall tile, etc. They look great, and are kept very clean by the staff. The management office is located at Phase I, so if I need to see them it's a two minute walk from the boat. In the four months I've been there, the management has been commendable. One day I inadvertently hit the flasher button in my truck, and didn't notice. One of the marina workers noticed, and the management called me to let me know. :)

There are several really good restaurants around the harbor, a boat yard with a great rep, several diving services, etc. Also several well maintained self-serve pump out staions, very handy.

I know several of my dockmates (live aboards) have been there for many years, and if they were'nt happy, they'd move.

Brewgyver 09-28-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overbored (Post 927635)
have you contacted the marina yet? slips in So. Cal have been in very short supply with long waiting lists.

Ventura West has quite a few available, but as far as I know there is still a wait list for Phase I.

SJ34 09-28-2012 01:06 PM

The marina is very safe and quiet, especially during the week. The live-aboard rate there is 50% and very much like a retirement community. I haven't heard of any theft or crime of any sort here, I'm sure due to several factors: the average age of the occupants, the fact that you have to be going there to get there, gated parking after hours, secure docks and security patrols etc etc.

Phase 2 is the closest marina to the harbor entrance, <than 5 minutes to open water, it's about 150 yards from one of the best beaches in the area, literally at the patio to the Channel Islands Visitor Center and Museum, close to shops and cafes so overall a pretty good marina.

What size boat do you have and when are you due to arrive?

gstej 09-28-2012 03:28 PM

One of the reasons we went with Ventura was the fantastic reputation of the yard there. :)

We were able to confirm a slip last week, and were pleasantly surprised to find that the wait list (at the time) was only a month or so, which worked out well for our timing.

We have a Pacific Seacraft 37 and will be arriving early November (although that may get pushed back a few weeks depending on work we have going on at our current yard)

Thanks everyone for the responses and info!

Brewgyver 09-28-2012 04:13 PM

Gstej, I'm sure you'll be happy in your new home! Hope you'll drop me a line when you arrive, I'll bring the Margaritas!

SJ34 09-28-2012 06:35 PM

Welcome to Ventura and some of the best sailing anywhere in the Country. Chances are we'll be neighbors so I'll keep an eye out for you and introduce myself when you get here.