Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012
Bathurst NB

PeterSailer is on a distinguished road
Re: Preparing to Beat Jesse martins World Record

I think that if you would be serious about this, you would have enough knowledge and experience to choose your own "ship"
Old 09-29-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Personally, I won't be impressed until a toddler pulls it off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2012

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

Summer jobs, 100K from sponsors.... Hmmm..... I think if you got a job at Bain Capitol, maybe you wouldn't need sponsors.
Old 09-29-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Personally, I won't be impressed until a toddler pulls it off.
I'm simply not impressed with circumnavigation, knowing a teenager can do it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-29-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I wanna know who the oldest person to do it is, that's the record I'm gearing myself up for.
sww914 and Minnewaska like this.
Old 09-29-2012
Bathurst NB

PeterSailer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I wanna know who the oldest person to do it is, that's the record I'm gearing myself up for.
77 years old, see the link for the article:

World's oldest sailor arrives home in Japan after solo journey around globe - Telegraph
Old 09-29-2012

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

If you really want to impress the hell out of us do it at age 16 in a 24' Gladiator with a sextant and no life raft or sat comm, then set sail with 200 ballpoint pens and 50 bucks as your budget. AKA Robin Lee Graham

Old 09-29-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSailer View Post

Quote:
Quote:
77 years old, see the link for the article:

World's oldest sailor arrives home in Japan after solo journey around globe - Telegraph
Saito is one of my all-time sailing heroes, but he's not the oldest... (although I believe he is the oldest to do a RTW non-stop)

Quote:

Heckel Completes Second Circumnavigation at Age 89

June 10 - Jacksonville, FL

That's right, for on June 4, 89-year-old Harry Heckel, frequently written up in Latitude 38, docked his Dreadnought 32 at Jacksonville, Florida, marking the end of his second circumnavigation.

"The event marked more than just the end of 16 years of solo sailing," said Heckel, "it marked time for me to get off the bridge and become a passenger. At age 89, it's best to let someone else do the heavy lifting aboard Idle Queen.

"The 10-year period of my second trip around the world has been a time of significant learning for me," continued Heckel. "It became apparent that people who travel to new places in small boats are, as a group, the finest in the world. They are interested in people, places, and events, cognizant of the need to be on the lookout for trouble, and always ready to assist a fellow traveler. My belief that on a one-to-one basis, people from whatever country can be friendly and helpful, particularly to the elderly, was amply confirmed. My traveling now will be limited to U.S. waters and with a companion. Regards to all my friends."

Well done, Harry!

June 10, 2005
Old 09-29-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
If you really want to impress the hell out of us do it at age 16 in a 24' Gladiator with a sextant and no life raft or sat comm, then set sail with 200 ballpoint pens and 50 bucks as your budget. AKA Robin Lee Graham
Nah, if he really wanted to impress the hell out of me, he'd do it in a boat he built himself, a la John Guzzwell...

Quote:

John Guzzwell first rose to fame within the sailing community when he sailed single-handed around the world in Trekka, his home-built 20-foot yawl. He never considered world records or looked for sponsors. He was in his early 20s when he began this project and was not yet 30 by the time he completed his circumnavigation. Trekka Round the World, his classic tale of this adventure, inspired many of today's sailors.

This wonderful tale by a talented, yet unassuming, young man is quite possibly the best book written about circumnavigating in the 1950s.
This guy is probably my favorite minimalist sailor, and TREKKA ROUND THE WORLD is a terrific read - highly recommended...

He was also sailing with Miles and Beryl Smeeton when TZU HANG was pitchpoled in the Southern Ocean on their approach to Cape Horn, and played a huge role in their amazing tale of self-rescue...

CalebD likes this.
Old 09-29-2012
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Noah?
Ferretchaser and Capt.aaron like this.

Tags
around the earth , circumnavigation , in need of help , jesse martin record

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.