Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road
Tall ship re-launched in NS

The iconic schooner Bluenose II, that is featured on the Canadian 10 cent coin, has been relaunched today after almost 3 years in refit. Purist decry the fact that little remains of the original ship - only the deck houses and spars were retained from the original - but the new hull is supposed to be a more accurate rendition of the original 1921 hull. The Bluenose II replica was built in 1963 of pine on oak frames, as was the original. The life expectancy of these hulls, under workboat conditions was perhaps 20 years. The 2012 version uses laminated frames, tropical hardwoods, and epoxy encapsulation, hopefully assuring a much longer lifespan. Sail on, Bluenose II !

Bluenose II relaunched | The Chronicle Herald
rikhall, rugosa, KIVALO and 2 others like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road
Re: Tall ship re-launched in NS

I have just done a service on my deck broom. Put a new head on it and a new handle and now it should be good for another 2 years or so. After that I may finaly splash out get a new one.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 09-29-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretchaser View Post
I have just done a service on my deck broom. Put a new head on it and a new handle and now it should be good for another 2 years or so. After that I may finaly splash out get a new one.
And that relates to the Bluenose...how?.....
Old 09-29-2012

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road

wow,absolutely beautiful......captg
Old 09-29-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

I think the original Bluenose was on the dime! I remember it as a child, before I ever heard of the replica. I always liked Bluenose II, seeing her in Lunenburg harbor in the winter, standing so light and proud on the surface and looking ready to roam the seas, that's what reignited my interest in sailing, many years ago. It struck a chord in my heart when I saw her.
Old 09-29-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
And that relates to the Bluenose...how?.....
Well they just buits a new ship and stuck the old name on it.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 09-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Purist decry the fact that little remains of the original ship - only the deck houses and spars were retained from the original -
In my experience, the woodenboat "purists" think the exact opposite. They constantly wax lyrical about the "longevity" and "ease of repair" of old wood boats. They talk about boats where nothing but a couple of scraps of original wood remain as being "rebuilds".

It's all Abe Lincolns axe in reality - 10 new handles and 4 new heads but it's still "Abe's axe".

It's even more absurd when you consider that it was a replica in the first place - the original Bluenose sank off Haiti shortly after WWII.

The opposite attitude seems common about glass boats - if it needs new wiring and an engine rebuild it should be ground up and put in a landfill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-30-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes, they built a replica using the same plans, and the same building techniques. There is no other ship like her, and she is a piece of Canadian heritage.

There are some great time lapse videos on YouTube following her construction if anyone is interested.
Hull#101
Old 09-30-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Aaahhhh! Forgive my failure to see the connection. Nice article summing up all of the work. I think I'll check out the other pictures mentioned above.
Old 09-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Yes, they built a replica using the same plans, and the same building techniques. There is no other ship like her, and she is a piece of Canadian heritage.

There are some great time lapse videos on YouTube following her construction if anyone is interested.
That's for sure. AFAIK Bluenose is the only racer of any kind that retired undefeated and that was after 20 odd years.

She also holds the record for racing & winning against the competitor with the ugliest name ever - the "Gertrude L. Thebaud".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.