Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: Does anyone else do this while refitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Did that. Didn't fit. Tore it out again. ABS fittings at the top made for the neatest job short of tearing out the counter and making it taller.
That's what I did - I'd look at a problem like what you describe, justify replacing every single part - including the entire countertop (I mean hey, you need new counter tops right?). Refits can bring out a persons latent insanity, at least it did in my case. There are .... levels of the madness you must (I repeat must) fight at all costs.

Even though I escaped the refit nuthouse and am now free, I can still sense bronze calling if it's within 5 miles of me - and I still to this day can't pass good ground tackle without hearing it call to me to buy it, and I don't even own a boat anymore.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

LOL the thought did cross my mind... Until I realized that I'd be raising the counter too high to be useable by the time I got the vertical nature of the drain I wanted(not a bad horizontal section of hose under stress).
and that I'd be adding several more failure points below the waterline. My solution saved a pile of money on bronze parts I returned, and made for only one additional potential failure joint which is above the waterline vs below.
Funny! I'm replacing countertops too. My stove doesn't sit "quite" level, there's a little gap near the center. It is a nuthouse. My next goal is to find another nut, with a bigger boat and buy that one next time, save myself at least a bit of the headache :-)
I spent a happy day last week doing nothing but buying and organizing screws... I now have square drive in every size I use, pan and countersunk heads every size from 3/8-3.5" and correct finishing washers. Can't stand slightly stripped or incorrect fastners.
Old 10-02-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I now have square drive in every size I use, pan and countersunk heads every size from 3/8-3.5" .
No you don't - you have ROBERTSON drive fasteners. Being Canadian, you should know better than to use that ignorant "square drive" moniker for the best screw head ever designed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-02-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
American site primarily, half the time even here in town I get blank stares or a correction.
At least I know the story of Robertson and his drive design and the reason behind it. Gotta count for something right?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 10-02-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
American site primarily, half the time even here in town I get blank stares or a correction.
At least I know the story of Robertson and his drive design and the reason behind it. Gotta count for something right?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Robertson did the world such a favour by inventing that screw head that it is incumbent upon us knowledgeable folk to educate the "square drive" ignoramuses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-02-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

My sink drain leads to a bucket.
I'm tired of messing around with through hulls.

Dick
Old 10-03-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Robertson did the world such a favour by inventing that screw head that it is incumbent upon us knowledgeable folk to educate the "square drive" ignoramuses.
Now if we could just get a global ban on slot head screws the world would be a better place!
SloopJonB likes this.
Hull#101
Old 10-03-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

I'm still somewhere in the middle of our cruising while refitting. Up next are the watermaker install, SSB install, fix the solar panel wires, install floodlights on the bow sprit, finish the spreader lights, paint the cabin top, and on and on.
I haven't ever looked at yachtword to make me feel better but I'll be doing it now.
THANKS!

Old 10-03-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Now if we could just get a global ban on slot head screws the world would be a better place!
Absolutely. There is a special place in Hell reserved for the person who created those horrible things - right next to the inventor of voicemail.
rugosa likes this.

Old 10-06-2012

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

To the OP, I don't know what you consider to be a really long time but I once spent 798 days living in the boatyard doing a complete rebuild. When I would get really frustrated I would stop what I was doing and try and solve my Rubiks cube, after about 30 seconds of that the boat project seemed easy. Keep the faith my brother, there is always an end