Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Does anyone else do this while refitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Absolutely. There is a special place in Hell reserved for the person who created those horrible things - right next to the inventor of voicemail.
Sad but true...

I just quoted a company for 15,000 titanium machine screws all in slotted. I begged the purchaser to switch at least to Phillips drive, but all he could tell me was that the engineers specced them, so he had to order them. I even had the project manager calling him to beg to switch to Phillips, but no dice.
Old 10-06-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Robertson did the world such a favour by inventing that screw head that it is incumbent upon us knowledgeable folk to educate the "square drive" ignoramuses.
Although the rules on export etc that he tried to enforce probably prevented a lot of the possible change over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Now if we could just get a global ban on slot head screws the world would be a better place!
Milwaukee makes a new bit that I found in a set.

Screw companies now make a screw that has both Robertson and slot in them, overlapping to allow for users to use whatever they have on hand. Milwaukee made a screwdriver bit to fit only these fastners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I'm still somewhere in the middle of our cruising while refitting. Up next are the watermaker install, SSB install, fix the solar panel wires, install floodlights on the bow sprit, finish the spreader lights, paint the cabin top, and on and on.
I haven't ever looked at yachtword to make me feel better but I'll be doing it now.
THANKS!
Works wonders.
Sounds like a great project :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
To the OP, I don't know what you consider to be a really long time but I once spent 798 days living in the boatyard doing a complete rebuild. When I would get really frustrated I would stop what I was doing and try and solve my Rubiks cube, after about 30 seconds of that the boat project seemed easy. Keep the faith my brother, there is always an end
And at the end, you start at the begining again.
Would be a bit easier if I could steal more than an occasional few hours to work on it, but it's better every day. How are things on your end these days?

Quote:
Absolutely. There is a special place in Hell reserved for the person who created those horrible things - right next to the inventor of voicemail.
Yup, I'll agree with that. doubly so those who use them in Brass or plated steel in boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Sad but true...

I just quoted a company for 15,000 titanium machine screws all in slotted. I begged the purchaser to switch at least to Phillips drive, but all he could tell me was that the engineers specced them, so he had to order them. I even had the project manager calling him to beg to switch to Phillips, but no dice.
Oh that's cruel.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Although the rules on export etc that he tried to enforce probably prevented a lot of the possible change over.
What happened was that he had earlier been involved in some sort of syndicated venture in England and he got screwed out of his share by his partners. It made him a control freak to the point that when he invented the screw head he wouldn't even license anybody to make them - they had to buy from him. The big manufacturers licensed Phillips instead and he lost out.

Quote:
Screw companies now make a screw that has both Robertson and slot in them, overlapping to allow for users to use whatever they have on hand. Milwaukee made a screwdriver bit to fit only these fasteners.
I've seen them a lot but only on electrical stuff - junction boxes, switches and receptacles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-07-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What happened was that he had earlier been involved in some sort of syndicated venture in England and he got screwed out of his share by his partners. It made him a control freak to the point that when he invented the screw head he wouldn't even license anybody to make them - they had to buy from him. The big manufacturers licensed Phillips instead and he lost out.

I've seen them a lot but only on electrical stuff - junction boxes, switches and receptacles.
And it was a real shame that he chose that route.

They are a perfect screw for the job, but making a specific bit for them is silly. From the side it looks like a large Phillips. Grabbed twice by mistake before I wised up and threw the bits out.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk