Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Re: Any Ideas

Even if she surveys well, still figure on double your 3,000.
over next couple years...but have seen guys buy cheap old boats with working motor and old sails clean her up a bit and go sailing.
Also recognize the owner made larger black steel boat from cruise up to Deep River 2 weeks ago. The Morgan was not tied up
next to her at the time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Any Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
(snip) Prior to my purchasing the 33 everyone, including the owner, said on a good day, with 15 knots of steady wind, on a beam or broad reach, you might get 4 or 5 out of the boat. With a clean bottom, 15 knots, beam or better yet, a broad reach, 7.5 to 8.2 is not out of the question.(snip)
The max possible hull speed for the 33 OI is 7.07 knotts, no matter how good the day is. Might get a bit more from heeling (and therefor less drag), but an additional 17%? Not being a smartass, really want to know if that much over hull speed is possible (other than "surfing" down big swells).

Last edited by Brewgyver; 10-02-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-02-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
The max possible hull speed for the 33 OI is 7.07 knotts, no matter how good the day is. Might get a bit more from heeling (and therefor less drag), but an additional 17%? Not being a smartass, really want to know if that much over hull speed is possible (other than "surfing" down big swells).
Knot meter is set correctly?!?!?!?!? that would be my first guess on this.

The boat picture to me looked like a Bayliner buccaneer. I think they had one that looked like that. That one for a fact did not sail to well, despite the pedigree of Bill Garden the designer.

mart
Old 10-02-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I know what the calculations produce for maximum speed, but I'll go with what my instruments say. And, this was SOG on two GPS plotters - not one. Take a look at High Speed Morgan 33 O.I....

As stated in the post, we passed everything on the bay that day with the exception of a catamaran.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 10-02-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

boat is NOT a buccaneer.
morgan is a major sea going marque and is able to do that which no buccaneer owner is able to do with a boat.
hank mckune, owner and designer of yorktown yachts was proud to say he aided charlie morgan, and worked with him--he also bragged his yorkies were the ugliest boat designed and built, second only to charlie morgan's outisland. however--is beautiful to be ugly,and every design has its main uses. morgan outisland are roomy and they sail. dont know how well, as some folks owning morgans all em flying pigs, but then i own and love to sail my formosa--lol

ok so now i am in trouble with both buccaneer owners and morgan outisland owners..LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-02-2012

justified is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the excellent replies, as always sailneters have the answers. Even thou I'm boat less right now I'm always looking, but not quite ready to take the dive into another at this time. I may just for the fun of it go and look. And I would never buy one without a proper survey - even a free one. Before I bought my last boat I looked at several and paid for two surveys that I then walked away from.
Hugo - sounds like you know Deep river landing my brother sent me the pic, he captains the Becky Thatcher on weekends. Pm me if you would like to have a beer sometime or need an additional crew. Always enjoy meeting other sailors and new boats.
Peter
Brewgyver likes this.
Old 10-02-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

I am usually a bit skeptical when I see max speed readings off of a GPS. You can introduce an error by either having the sampling rate set too fast (a lot of factory settings have this at a second or less) and/or having the antenna mounted far from the center of motion. So, if the antenna sways and the sample rate is fast, the relative motion of the antenna is added to the speed of the boat. When I was campaigning my boat I wanted to measure the acceleration out of tacks so I set the sampling speed really fast which made the max speed pretty useless but did give me some pretty good data I could analyze on the computer. Normally, I set the GPS to sample at 30 second intervals. That said, I think that Travelin Easy’s over-all speed was pretty fair- averaging 5.6 knots over four hours nets out to running at 80% of hull speed for a good portion of a day.
Old 10-02-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

George,

On that particular day, the waters of Chesapeake Bay were nearly flat, the wind was steady for most of the day, which translated into very little fore to aft hull movement. That led me to believe the overall accuracy of the GPS SOG was quite reliable. That 10.1 maximum speed was held for about 20 minutes, which also leads me to believe it was a valid reading.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 10-02-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Easy, when you say that the GPS displayed the 10.1 kts max speed was held for twenty minutes –does that mean your boat was traveling at a constant 10.1 kts for that period of time? Or, was that the max recorded speed? If the latter, what was the new max speed after the twenty minutes? I know that on my GPS (both Garmin and Raymarine), I can adjust the sample rate which the unit uses to do the distance and rate calculations. And I know that the relative slow sailing speeds, it is easy to introduce an error with a fast sampling rate. Have you had the opportunity to download the stored memory into your computer for analysis? It is pretty illuminating. The algorithm is using the distance between two points of only a few feet to calculate velocity. It is amazing how much this data fluctuates and it is only after averaging over longer periods of time does the unit achieve it’s high degree of accuracy. On faster moving vehicles like planes and autos, the relative motion type errors become small and inconsequential. On my lowly Catalina, I regularly exceed 10 kts and I occasionally get up to 15. In fact, my max walking pace (as recorded by my Garmin Map 12) can get up to 12 MPH (but I must confess, to do it, I swing my arms while holding the GPS). I still say that your average speed over the four hour trip was admirable and your boat is the opposite of being a slug. But if you are sure you are getting those kinds of speeds over time, you ought to be racing because with your PHRF rating you would pretty much win every race you would enter.
Old 10-02-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Sorry, but there is NO WAY an OI 30 is going to do 10 knots through the water unless, maybe, surfing down a big wave in high winds.

I think there might be some confusion between SOG and boatspeed going on here. Around here, you can easily get some crazy SOG going with the tide through narrow passes.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.