SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Clothing optional sailing

66K views 153 replies 67 participants last post by  robodd 
#1 ·
Just curious how many others enjoy sailing while not getting tan lines? I bought my sailboat last year and it seems most dates I’ve taken sailing had no problems enjoying the sun au natural, now my fiancée is the same way we quite enjoy sailing while soaking some sun!?? :)

Thanks
The Irish American, GSL Utah

#113 ·
Two weeks ago I was out on Pensacola Bay and, unexpectedly, it became ungodly hot as the wind died down. I was the only craft out there, and because I'd worn jeans and a long-sleeve in expectation of a chill, was unprepared for the heat. Indeed, I started to strip down, and would have gone full Africa if I'd not been so paranoid that the motor-boaters would pull their usual act of blazing a path right to me just so they can be seen in their toy.

So, sure enough as I'm sitting there in my skivvies cranking the Buffett tunes, every 30 minutes or so an engine-head would come clear across entire square miles of open, unoccupied bay just to make sure they pass as close as possible to me so I could enjoy the gift of their rough wake.

The look on one lady's face as she gawked down from the pilothouse of a 45ft yacht was priceless, and made it abundantly clear that it would not have been a good social strategy to go full Africa that day.

It is coming soon, though.

#117 · (Edited)
I hardly think being naked while blue water sailing would warrant a public indecency charge. Plus your always on "private property" when your on your boat, although a few marina's may turn you down if you rock up butterball naked! You may also create a few dangerous situations by attracting peoples attention when they should be concentrating on other duties.(boat collisions, stepping of the edge of a wharf type stuff). Keep the hooks and fishing gear locked away and be wary of rope friction BURNS.....(umm, lower case "burns" looks like "bums"!!!) OUCH!!! Personally if I were nude sailing with a woman anything could happen, I certainly wouldn't be watching where i'm giong that's for sure.

#118 ·
We were anchored out one time in the Bay on a hot summers day with friends. Decided to cool off with a skinny dip. Sure enough, all the way across the bay comes a center console fishing boat that anchored about 30 yards away. We were two couples and they were two guys and a gal. Well after grousing about how come they had to come all the way over here and start fishing right next to us, we decided we had to get out of the water some time. So me and my buddy decided to get out and get a beer for us and the wives. As we're haulin' ourselves up the swim ladder, we hear a screach from the other boat when the gal said "Those guys are naked!" One of the guys on their boat says, "Well if you don't like it, don't look over there". LOL. We just raised our drinks to them and smiled. They left about 10 minutes later.

Kevin

#119 ·
While cruising the ICW, sometimes the gals like to lie out on the fore deck and work on their tan, this always elicits an appreciative toot from the tow boat operators and a lot of chatter on channel 13. Always makes their day and kinda makes up for the unattentive/ignorant pleasure boat operators they have to deal with all the time.

Kevin

#120 ·
It's purely situational. I have too much square footage covered in tattoos to be overly keen on roasting in the sun- but I sail in as little clothing as is practical. I find there are times when the company I'm
Keeping make it more practical to risk wrecking all the ink... Like most gratuitous hobbies- it's all about the pay off.

#140 ·
Ground control calling Donna :)

#141 ·
**Breaking news!!!**

According to Dr. Oz: wearing a bra *causes* sagging!! Something to do with the bra making the ligaments lazy and they stop "doing their thing" to hold the girls up.

At least it's news to me. I always feel guilty without one even though I go without frequently while at home or on the boat. I feel like I'm doing harm. NO MORE!!

Or, at least until the next scientific journal counters this one.

And this is NOT an invitation for the men who read this section to say "I've been telling you women that since you hit puberty!!" That was NOT your reason for wanting us bra-less.

#142 ·
Hey, if you're comfortable going without, go without. It should be your choice. No one should tell you you have to wear one. Women didn't wear them for thousands of years and survived quite well. I think it is all a plot by the fashion industry to sell us all more clothes we don't really need. No really! ;)

Kevin

#144 ·
I just found this thread. As a new sailor, it's a welcome respite from all the obsession I've been doing over learning the art, the gear, and the boat. We're still in the process of naming our boat, and every time we try to get serious about it, it turns into an all-night giggle fest. My favorite name will NEVER make it onto our boat; my wife has totally nixed it, and to be honest I wouldn't actually put it on either... I don't think... <grin>.

In any case, to add the boat-name portion of the thread, I present what I am sure is a clear winner, and hereby offer it to anyone for their use. For extra yuks, plug it into the BoatUS boat graphics design page and use the Algerian font.. it looks AWESOME... even classy..

and the name is...

Shomi Yerboubis II

As you were...

Barry

#146 ·
Shomi Yerboubis II

Barry
Awesome, witty, original. I like it. And while it would be great painted on a transom, just imagine how your mayday call would go......

Coast Guard: "Station calling mayday mayday we're all going to die, what is the name of your vessel over?"

Boat About to Die: "Shomi Yerboubis II"

Coast Guard: "Helo 61, Rescue Craft 64, and Cutter Jingo, STAND DOWN we have a hoax. Return to your bases."

MedSailor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.