Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012

gmcairns is on a distinguished road
Video While Sailing?

Does anyone have the GoPro video camera and do you like it?
Sailing Sereno
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2012

jkrause is on a distinguished road
Re: Video While Sailing?

Yes- I use 'em and like 'em. Get a few different mounts- I like the suction cup- it really sucks (in a good way). Be sure to rig a tether- Partially submerged shots can be interesting. The great thing about GoPros is that they're small, cheap, and easily rigged in different places (up the mast, out on the bow pulpit, etc.).
Old 10-01-2012
Gunga Din

Gunga Din is on a distinguished road
It's almost perfect in all senses.
I've just got mine and tried just once but am really impressed.
A small boat like mine has too much contrast in a sunny clear day - sail shadows, cabin, bimini. And I'm in southern Brazil with beautiful mountains and colorful sceneries but quite hard to get on camera.
Can't go wrong. It's not a toy, definitely.
Old 10-01-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Looks like a great camera, and it is water resistant, which on a boat is an added benefit. However, it's also $300, which is a pretty big chunk of change for something just to take some videos of the scenery and water passing by the hull. I thought seriously about the Zoom Q4HD, which is a bit more expensive, then thought more seriously about what I was going to do with the videos. At best, they would be posted on YouTube for a few friends to see.

Consequently, I decided to go with an Alesis that was on sale at B&H Photo at the time for $29 and free shipping. It's a great camera, and if it gets destroyed by a rouge wave I'll just purchase another. Take a look at Alesis VideoTrack Handheld Audio and Video Recorder VIDEOTRACK

Cheers,

Gary
Old 10-01-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I buck the trend as well. The Go pro is the gold standard for sure, but I bought a Kodak ZX5 Playsport... 1080P video standard tripod mount, takes regular SD class 10 cards, is waterproof.

I haven't posted any of my videos on youtube yet with the playsport, but I have a couple low res ones I've done with my regular camera.

These are low quality 640x480, using my handlebar tripod mount... I know I should be sheeted in to the inboards... and the sail is a mess.

For giggles I also got a case that has a tripod mount adapter for my phone (Moto Razr Maxx), which ALSO takes 720p and 1080p video. Sample with my shaky hands.. on the stern rail you can see the handlebar tripod mount.

Last edited by SHNOOL; 10-01-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-01-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

the GoPro is also a great sports camera, not only does it do video, it takes single shots also takes 10 shot per second. the mounting options are also great. I also take viseo with my Canon T2i but I am deathly afraid of getting it wet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 10-01-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

I have a GoPro that I got for Christmas last year. I have played around with it a bit. I put a mount on my son's helmet and went mountain biking with him, put it on the bow of his kayak and went paddling, clamped it to the push pit on the boat when we were sailing, and put it on a pole so I could poke it under the dock to check out the sea life.

It takes pretty good quality video, although the user interface is pretty crude to say the least. I still cant keep the different modes straight.

The big thing they have going for them is the many different mounts you can get for them, although they are not cheap! Definitely use a tether in riskier situations. A friend found one washed up on the beach complete with suction cup mount! On the memory card he found footage of a guy learning to surf. The last thing out of the owners mouth was "F#%K!" before the scene changed to tumbling along the bottom among the crabs and seaweed!
Hull#101
Old 10-01-2012
Senior Moment Member

AncientTech is on a distinguished road

I looked in town and found the GoPro Naked package for $129

Comes with the Hero version plus two mounts and is waterproof up to a depth of 60m and of course it comes with that awesome GoPro warranty. Anyplace you look all GoPro packages should be the same price.

That should be more than sufficient to make movies while sailing.

However if you plan on going underwater and taking videos and want crisp color at depth you will need to purchase the DIVE HOUSING or one of the larger camera packages that would include it anyway. The DIVE HOUSING I think is only $50.

Morgan 22
Naples, FL
Old 10-01-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientTech View Post
I looked in town and found the GoPro Naked package for $129

Comes with the Hero version plus two mounts and is waterproof up to a depth of 60m and of course it comes with that awesome GoPro warranty. Anyplace you look all GoPro packages should be the same price.

That should be more than sufficient to make movies while sailing.

However if you plan on going underwater and taking videos and want crisp color at depth you will need to purchase the DIVE HOUSING or one of the larger camera packages that would include it anyway. The DIVE HOUSING I think is only $50.
I'm not a diver, but it seems to me the average recreational diver isn't going anywhere near 60 meters down! Why is a different case needed?
Hull#101
Old 10-01-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Have one, use it, like it