Anyone have any idea how I might locate an old Morgan ad from 82 or 83? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012
America, love it or leave

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Anyone have any idea how I might locate an old Morgan ad from 82 or 83?

Anyone have any idea how I might locate an old Morgan ad from 82 or 83? There is an ad where there is a picture of a kid jumping off the boat as the sun is setting behind the shot, that's the ad I'm trying to locate. It might be in the literature on the boat from those years, I'm not sure.

Any ideas on how/where I might find this? It's probably a long shot I realize, but any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Re: Anyone have any idea how I might locate an old Morgan ad from 82 or 83?

Chris n Cate,

Wow. That's a tall order! Have you talked with the librarians in your local library? I'd talk to a senior librarian in your local library. They are there to help you find stuff, after all. Further, libraries have a means of borrowing from and exchanging with each other and will help each other find information. It's normally for articles, but why couldn't it be for ads?

I have a hazy memory of using an index of journals and periodicals mumbledy years ago when I was back in grad school. It should tell you what was being published in the time period. If the librarians are not willing to search page by page for you, how about starting by fetching the index of advertisers from 10 years worth of a given journal, maybe?

On the other hand, maybe you could just write the editors of Sailing Magazine.

Regards,

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Old 10-02-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

check ebay, there was some old ads on there for the A30

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 10-02-2012

Oh! I just had a brainwave. Morgan Yachts was purchased by Catalina Yachts, and they are still in business. Try e-mailing or calling them and see what they can do for you.

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Old 10-02-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Anyone have any idea how I might locate an old Morgan ad from 82 or 83? There is an ad where there is a picture of a kid jumping off the boat as the sun is setting behind the shot, that's the ad I'm trying to locate. It might be in the literature on the boat from those years, I'm not sure.

Any ideas on how/where I might find this? It's probably a long shot I realize, but any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Check this site - huge number of brochures.

Bill Browning Yacht Sales

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-03-2012

Nice, thanks for the suggestions all - didn't consider Ebay, Catalina or the library, I'll try those next.

Great link Sloop, didn't see what I am looking for but a great link nonetheless - thanks!
Old 10-03-2012

It is kind of an intriguing question. Let us know how you get on with it.
Pasadena, MD
Old 10-03-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I talked to Charlie Morgan for an hour yesterday. He is 83 now and doing quite well. He has taken up painting.

If you go to that scary place called Cruising Anarchy (hide your wife and children) there is a thread there specific to Morgan designs. It could be that someone there could help you. There is at least one old add posted.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I talked to Charlie Morgan for an hour yesterday. He is 83 now and doing quite well. He has taken up painting.

If you go to that scary place called Cruising Anarchy (hide your wife and children) there is a thread there specific to Morgan designs. It could be that someone there could help you. There is at least one old add posted.
Hide my wifes boobs you mean....

I'll muster up the nerve and give it a go over at C/A as well, I'd really like to locate that picture if at all possible (I was the kid in that ad). Re; Charlie Morgan, I don't personally know anyone at Morgan, my dad did back in the 80's though - I'll mention what you said about Mr. Morgan doing well and taking up painting, he'll get a kick out of that since he too has taken up the oils in his retirement (following my lead on that one of course).

Thanks for the insight Bob!
Old 10-03-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Chris:
Yes, there is that but traditions are important and just maybe your wife is a good sport. Actually you can get by substituting any boobs on CA.

I got the impression talking to Charlie that he would be happy talking to anyone. If you pm me I could give you his number and you could give it a shot. Charlie is an old hero of mine and I had met him many years ago when I first stood on a Valiant 40 at the Nap show. I was probably 30 years old. It seemed a bit odd swapping stories with him like we were old buds.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site