SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   what is a comfortable boat to be on for a long time (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/92679-what-comfortable-boat-long-time.html)

cli 10-02-2012 09:23 PM

what is a comfortable boat to be on for a long time

is a hartley rorc 30-35ft boat a good boat for long offshore sails preferablly in the south pacific

Classic30 10-02-2012 09:50 PM

Re: what is a comfortable boat to be on for a long time

Quote:

Originally Posted by cli (Post 929050)
is a hartley rorc 30-35ft boat a good boat for long offshore sails preferablly in the south pacific

I would not have thought so.. but then you haven't told us exactly what your "comfort level" requirement is and how much experience you have.

... and welcome to Sailnet. :)

tdw 10-02-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartley18 (Post 929057)
I would not have thought so.. but then you haven't told us exactly what your "comfort level" requirement is and how much experience you have.

... and welcome to Sailnet. :)

Hartley old bean you are being a tadge harsh on the young fellow. In general I am no great fan of floating footpaths and we all know that what some builders did to Hartley's designs were sins against humanity but if you find a really good one they can and do make totally acceptable and very reasonably priced cruising sailboats.

Bugger all resale value of course but that is to be expected.

Did you know that Hartley also designed a vaguely acceptable wee trailor sailor ? Apparently a few hardy fools still sail them in Melbourne and Sydney before moving on to larger termite mounds.

Classic30 10-02-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 929066)
Did you know that Hartley also designed a vaguely acceptable wee trailor sailor ? Apparently a few hardy fools still sail them in Melbourne and Sydney before moving on to larger termite mounds.

Har Har har har.. :p :cool:

denverd0n 10-03-2012 01:39 PM

I don't think Hartley18 was being the least bit harsh on the fellow. In fact, his answer was spot on. Some people can live quite comfortably on tiny little boats. I once spent a month living on a 23' trailer-sailer, and it wasn't too bad. On the other hand, there are those who would feel claustrophobic on a 50' catamaran--which has, after all, considerably less living space than most small apartments.

What's going to be "comfortable" is a completely subjective and personal thing, that no one else can tell you.

Best advice is probably to look around at a number of different boats, spend some time below in the living spaces, and decide for yourself whether or not it seems like it would be "comfortable" for you.

cli 10-03-2012 08:50 PM

well what i realy want to know is if the hartley is a good safe boat to be on for a long time in open ocean and if it is not too cramped

TQA 10-03-2012 08:53 PM

Here is a story of a circumnavigation in a Hartley 32 CLICKY

tdw 10-03-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cli (Post 929425)
well what i realy want to know is if the hartley is a good safe boat to be on for a long time in open ocean and if it is not too cramped

CLI .... we are venturing into a discussion on the length of a piece of string. If, and I do emphasise the if, you were to find a well found Hartley of this type then there is absolutely no reason why you would not have a perfectly safe long distance cruising boat. The problem is that most Hartleys were amateur built often in very ordinary circumstances by amateurs who knew bugger all about boat building in general and even less about ferro but were sucked in by the hype about home building ferro boats. Ergo while there are diamonds in the rough there are also an awful lot of utter mongrels.

As for comfort ... the interior specs also varied according to the builder so again it is not possible to be specific but the interior of these things would be about average for a boat of its period which could be quite acceptable though not as roomy as e.g. a 21st century Beneteau.

How about some pics of the boat in question ?

chrisncate 10-04-2012 01:42 AM

Not an Alberg 30, I can tell you that much with certainty.

denverd0n 10-04-2012 10:36 AM

"Too cramped" is also completely subjective. What I find cramped you might find spacious, and vice versa. You are not going to get the answer to this kind of question on the internet. You are going to have to go, look at, and get onto the kind of boat you are considering, and then decide for yourself if it is "too cramped."