SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

another sailor complaining about power boaters

3K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  rhr1956 
#1 ·
Thank god the Power boaters are finally out of the water here in Buffalo N.Y. This was my first season with a sailboat. I can Honestly say that as a power boater I always respected my distance from any sailboat (or any other boat)underway but I dont seem to get the same respect from other power boaters now that I'm on a sailboat. It also seems that the bigger the boat the less likely that the helmsman knows and obeys the rules of the water. All things consitered I'm glad I sold my gas guzzler. In less than 2 weeks I will be dreaming of sailing for about 6 months while I wait for my marina to open once again. Dose anyone think my wife will miss me between now and the 15th when I have to pull my girlfriend out of the water for the season.

#6 ·
Perhaps it is like smokers, reformed ones complain the loudest? :laugher I do think it is funny that power boaters all pull there boats so early. Sailboats are the first in and last out. Guess they already burned up there budgets!

Its simple.... to make a powerboat move, you have to write a check. To make a sailboat move, you have to know what you're doing. On average, you attract people with different motivations.
Yea, that is why there are so many more accidents with power boaters. Sometimes you don't even have to write the check. I was just thinking about an accident we had on the Hudson last year with a drunk idiot who had a borrowed power boat and rammed into concrete footing along the shore way out of the navigational channel in the middle of the night killing himself and a three friends. It just could not have happened in a sailboat. He would not have known how to get the boat moving even!

#11 ·
ABACO!!!! About 3 years ago in Abaco Bahamas we chartered a 37' Tayana Cutter for ASA courses. There was none of the power boat vs. sailboat crap that we see here on the Chessie. One day a power boat did come within 100' of us and the Captain was really annoyed, I told him were I come from they get close enough to wipe your bow.

Actually most of the power boaters around here are pretty nice, there is mostly seems to be a problem with the newbies or the weekend warriors. Just this past Summer a HUGE yacht came barreling up the bay, he throttled all the way down to almost idle when he passed and then back on plane he went...I was impressed.

#14 ·
They don't realy bother me as long as they don't end up running into me,they cando what they want. Just a shame that some of the loud ones scare the wildlife away.

#15 · (Edited)
I kind of like...well love the sound of a big block or two roaring by, as long as they're not too close. My last larger boat before we seriously got into sailing was a 1979 Glastron Carlson CVX-20 with a 460 Ford big block, berkley jet drive, and hydrolic Place Diverter (Makes that 200' rooster tail possible). I loved it but it ate engines like candy of course I always had neighborhood wrenches do the major work, I should have just had an engine professionally built. I sold it after rebuiding the second engine a second time and blew it at 20 hours. An autopsy of the motor showed that it wasn't put together right...Me trying to sane money again...
Below is a picture of my extremely cool Mom going out on it with me, I guess she was around 73 at the time, she used to LOVE to go on all my boats no matter haw crazy fast they were (and there were some crazy fast boats in my past) She was so cool, I really miss her. She would have REALLY loved our Catalina 320, we were a lot alike when it came to boats, we love them, dosen't matter what kind or in what condition, we love all boats!...It's just that some of the operators suck.

Attachments

#17 ·
Yeah, I've had that happen a few times as well. I've done everything to avoid other sailboats at times and they just have to come right up close. Thats usually the time I consider going for the no tan line thing!...That'll fix them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.