Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Boat Snack

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Tiny 35 C&C but we can stow you in the dinghy on davits, maybe we can meet up in Myers Hole next yearon our way to the LI Sound or back from it Jim.
Sounds like a plan. I'll bring the crazy redhead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Our philospohy is we sail well, we eat well, we drink well....we sleep well. Then we wake up and do it again, Just because we are on a sailboat doesnt mean we give up fresh food and creative dishes.
Amen brother. That's a philosophy I can get behind.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Favorite snack???

MedSailor
Dog8It, chef2sail and AlaskaMC like this.
Old 10-05-2012

CapnBones is on a distinguished road

RobGallagher beat me to it, but +1 on doing the corn in the husk. That is one of the only things I miss about living in Jersey, the fresh corn, they don't know how to grow it right over here in Pennsy. I have never soaked it in sea water, when I am in a rush I don't even soak it, though I prefer to, but it still comes out great!
Old 10-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The cream cheese with hot pepper jelly is great (and mentioned above).

A good variation is to spread goat cheese on a good cracker and put a dollop of hot pepper jelly on top. Lay them out on a platter and they disappear. Sweet, spicy and savory. Slug it down with your fav drink. Sugar, fat, salt and alcohol are the four basic food groups aboard our vessel !!

For cheater deviled eggs..... hard boil and cut lengthwise, leave the yolk in, apply a small dollop of sour cream and another of salsa on top of the exposed yolk. Hit them with a little cayenne or tabasco if you dig it.
Silvio likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-05-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Ummm.... am I the only one who rarely eats cream cheese??? Actually our go-to snack is usually cheese and crackers (we like triscuits) but we usually try and source interesting cheeses. You know, the kind where the mold is supposed to be there.

I'll take a stab at a cream cheese recipe though since they seem popular.

Take a brick of cream cheese and put it on a plate. In a separate bowl melt another brick of cream cheese and stir in the contents of 20 Lipitor capsules. Pour melted cream cheese/Lipitor mix over brick of cream cheese. Sprinkle a handful of low-dose Bayer asprin over the top for crunch. Serve on top of doughnuts.

MedSailor
chrisncate likes this.
Old 10-06-2012
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

For us we eat this stuff by the gallon, recipe from back home in Texas with a bazillion variants. I have added corn, kidney beans and all sorts of stuff to change this around. My favorite change is to roast the peppers and or tomatoes with a small torch. But this is the basic recipe.

10 Roma Tomatoes (or similar)
1/4 Red Onion
1/4 White Onlon
1/4 cup cilantro
2 cloves garlic
5 or more Serrano peppers or other hot peppers depending on your constitution. I have been doing habeneros lately as well.

Grind all this to your desired consistancy. A blender or food processor makes it easy.

Stir in juice from 1 lime, 1/2 cup chopped green onions (or chives) and one tablespoon of olive oil. Add salt, pepper and cumin to taste.

Also, up here in AK I have a great supply of Copper River Red Salmon and we smoke tons of it. Great with many cheeses and on crackers and keeps really well.
Old 10-07-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Wow, I am getting hungry!
To tell you the truth, when I read the title of this post I was thinking a good snack for, say, the Maltese Falcon would be a West Wight Potter
Old 10-08-2012
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

Dam all of you are Chefs! I am so hungry right now! Well i have no wife that cooks i am the Everything guy! Wish i had a wife that did stuff wish i knew this before the big day, (DAMIT) I normally just stop and buy some good subs Italain or Turkey or both always have Chips or crackers, Hot peppers, Lettuce, Beer, wine, Tuna, cakes, OREOS , DIPS!

On my boat you can eat anytime doesn matter if we are doing 20knts! Its to bad we all are in different areas I see here we could have a serious PARTY, or get together! Just saying!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Old 10-08-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

In the summer, grapes. Seedless.
Old 10-08-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

All the food ideas here sound very tasty for sure, any thoughts on the risker "soft" foods aboard regarding food safety aboard?

The reason I ask is I know more than a couple of cruisers who maintain less than land standards on their overall galley cleanliness - stuff like washing only the tops of plates (gotta save that water after all), reusing cups and utensils after washes in cold bay/sea water finished with a quick cold fresh water rinse, etc.. Also wondering about the soft cheeses, deviled eggs, wet white preps involving mayo and and the like regarding boat refrigeration and the naturally humid environment of boats... ?

One of our favorite snacks aboard was (any) hard cheese that wasn't finicky on temps, pepperoni that could handle a room temp, and good crackers and mustard. Also loved canned boiled peanuts to go with, as well as a good trail mix.