Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Boat Snack

McVities Milk Choc Hobnobs - 8.8oz (249g)
Old 10-08-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Chris,
The hot water you wash dishes in does not kill bacteria. Nor does most dish soap. All you are doing is de-greasing and sloughing off the bacteria that may have landed on the dishes. Hot water and soap may aide he sloughing process, but does not kill the bacteria unless you are using an antibacterial soap. Which is going to create all sorts of problems down the road.
I always thought like you about mayonaise as does the Army, until a friend who spent a year cruising in the Bahamas explained that if you keep the bacteria out of the mayo it will never go bad, even if kept at room temperature. So she took a table spoon, wiped it with alcohol and then use it and only it to take the mayo out of the jar, quickly closed the jar and then spread the mayo on the bread. I thought this impossible, then remembered that when in Italy, they sold mayo in a tube, like toothpaste and never refrigerated it. So must work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Chris,
The hot water you wash dishes in does not kill bacteria. Nor does most dish soap. All you are doing is de-greasing and sloughing off the bacteria that may have landed on the dishes. Hot water and soap may aide he sloughing process, but does not kill the bacteria unless you are using an antibacterial soap. Which is going to create all sorts of problems down the road.
I always thought like you about mayonaise as does the Army, until a friend who spent a year cruising in the Bahamas explained that if you keep the bacteria out of the mayo it will never go bad, even if kept at room temperature. So she took a table spoon, wiped it with alcohol and then use it and only it to take the mayo out of the jar, quickly closed the jar and then spread the mayo on the bread. I thought this impossible, then remembered that when in Italy, they sold mayo in a tube, like toothpaste and never refrigerated it. So must work.
Plus a little common sense will go a long way. If there is stuff growing on it, or it doesn't smell right don't eat it. People have been eating eggs, for example, without getting sick for a lot longer than we have had refrigeration.
Old 10-08-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Dry smoked salmon (not salmon jerky, just dry to the touch)
Aged gouda (aged until it's almost crumbly)
REAL sourdough baguette (if you don't have to really chew, it ain't really bread)

Wash it all down with Peet's coffee (in the morning), or Liberty Ale (in the afternoon)
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 10-08-2012
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
Chris,
The soapy hot water wash has got to be more effective than the cold water wash though (or god forbid the "wash the tops of the plates only" wash), no?

Regarding the mayo, it must be the oil that helps preserve it. I'd like to see that mayo in a tube, that's pretty cool!
Old 10-08-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Deviled eggs (using one of those deviled egg containers works best of course, and they can be made ahead of time. I make two batches: the standard recipe and one that's different. My eggs with a bit of sun dried tomato, capers and a thin ribbon of prosciutto on top is always a hit.)

A good, soft buttery Brie and good crackers

Guacamole and chips (I take all the ingredients and prepare on board)
We make the Deviled Eggs but slice the white part crossways instead of lengthwise and use the original foam egg container as the transport/serving dish. Works great and no dishes to clean up.
Old 10-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
We make the Deviled Eggs but slice the white part crossways instead of lengthwise and use the original foam egg container as the transport/serving dish. - Seaduction
Not a great idea. 98 % of egg shells have salomonella when they are collected. You are banking on that they have washed and sterilzed the outer shell. This is similar to the salmonella outbreak related to cantalopes...its whats on the skin getting everyone sick as they get the bacteria on the cutting board when the skin it and cutt up the flesh and then do not raise the temp over 165 degrees,

As far as mayo, right now there is a 12 page discussion on another Sailboat forum.

Mayo in a jar is far different from mayo in a tube. The bacteria which gets introduced is not just from utelsils, but is also in the air. It needs a medium to grow, usually of protein. Since no air will be introduced into the tube...thats fairly safe, but a jar inheretly has open space filled with air. Thats why most things need to be refrigerated after opening, but are ok stored on the self. Some of the "atmosphere" in these jards ( if its not a vacu,) may be a modified atmosphere.

Almost all of the bacteria which make you sick, salamonella, e coli, listeria, shigella etc, are not noticeable in food and have nothing to do with the slimy ness or mold on food, and they have nothing to do with the spoilage of food which was referred to above.

Many people claim they have never gottten sick from eggs, mayo no refrigerated after opening, peanut butter and they have been leaving it out. Thats has absolutely nothing to do with future bacterial incidents. You can speed down a stretch of road 99 times and never get caught, but the 100th time if a cop is there..you get the ticket. I would rather err on the side of safety and not make the one time you did get sick when you were 1200 miles off the East Coast, 10 days from land or a hospital. Why risk it. bacteria grows best in high proteinitems. It needs moisture, oxygen ( except botulism), time, temperature, the correct acidity ( commercial mayo has an increased acidity to help as a barrier). Food borne illness also affects nore easily the old, the very young, and those with compromised immunities far greater. What may give me the runs may kill someone one antibiotics or with diabetes.

Heat kills most bacteria thats why there are minimum internal cooking temperatures ( related to time) for most meats ( ie polutry 165 degrees for 10 seconds) reheats 165 degrees etc, however it must be noted it is not always the bacterial which can cause you to get sick. In some foodborne illnesses you can kill the bacteria with the proper temperature, but it has already produced a toxin ( poison) which then gets you sick. Food handling is a very important part of cruising and long distance sailing. Leftover must be treated very carefully and cooled quickly so as nokt to promote bacteria growth. The militray throws out almost all excess food from meals for this reason ( early in my career when I trained chefs who had been in the military I had to break them of this habit as it was wastefull). I understood why they did it though as they didnt want to risk gettibng a whole diviosn of fighting soilders sick because of not handling food correctly so they couldnt fight.

In terms of killing bacteia on dishes there are oinly two methods. Temeprature - commercial restaurants and your home dishwasher rinse temperatire must be over 180 degrees F. ( BTW soap works best between 130 and 150 degrees) and Chemicals_ tghis would be a solution of sanitizer to use after washing and rinseing dishes. The sanitizer must be in a correct concentration to work ( most are iodine or quantranery solutuions). If it is too strong it can be a poison. Then the dishes must be air dried.
MedSailor and chrisncate like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-08-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

The Chef is right.

Luckily for me I grew up mostly in Australia where they don't have huge fridges that house EVERYTHING so I already have some experience with keeping condiments, eggs, mayo, and jams out of the fridge. On the boat, I prepare food just like at home. I don't try and skimp on the water or use salt water instead, I just do like I do at home. Oh wait, for the last 10 years the boat galley (with very tiny fridge) was my home!

Just in case we do it all wrong though I keep some Cipro on the boat. It'll usually kill all the baddies that Chef mentioned, except for Botulism, but that's a whole different story.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 10-08-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
The soapy hot water wash has got to be more effective than the cold water wash though (or god forbid the "wash the tops of the plates only" wash), no?

Regarding the mayo, it must be the oil that helps preserve it. I'd like to see that mayo in a tube, that's pretty cool!
Not washing the bottom of plates only contaminates the tops of plates they are stacked upon.
I have looked everywhere for Italian mayo, but alas, cannot find it here.
Old 10-08-2012

bobnpaula is on a distinguished road

#1agree with the soft brie and crackers.
#2 If looking for minimal fuss, buy a bag of extra large/jumbo frozen shrimp. Bring bag with jar of cocktail sauce, in small cooler. Just before happy hour, run shrimp under cold water about 5 minutes to thaw the rest of the way... and serve. Always a big hit.
#3 this is what I bring when I have the ability to re-heat:
2 pounds kielbasa
one bottle of beer
18 oz BBQ sauce (your favorite kind)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup dijon mustard

Combine beer, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, mustard in large skillet over medium heat. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce to low, and add kielbasa, which you have cut into about 1/2 inch slices. Simmer one hour until the kielbasa is browned and glazed, stirring occasionally. Cool and refrigerate.
I make this the day before. bring it in a tupperware, and reheat just before happy hour until hot... either on stove, or in micro. Serve with toothpicks. Always the first appetizer that is gone! (maybe its the beer??)
Enjoy!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.