Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Best Boat Snack

In the past I have gotten my sailing fix by racing but my work schedule is too unpredictable to be a reliable crew, nowadays. I have just joined a meetup group. Basically a group of online strangers that invite people out on their boat. One big reason people are there is the sailing, probably more important is the Potluck meals.

I hope my sailing skills gets me invited back but want to make sure my food contribution also stands out to insure I am a guest they want to return.

Please share your prepared cockpit feasts for sharing with guests. Finger foods are best.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2012

wouldrathersail is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog:929511
In the past I have gotten my sailing fix by racing but my work schedule is too unpredictable to be a reliable crew, nowadays. I have just joined a meetup group. Basically a group of online strangers that invite people out on their boat. One big reason people are there is the sailing, probably more important is the Potluck meals.

I hope my sailing skills gets me invited back but want to make sure my food contribution also stands out to insure I am a guest they want to return.

Please share your prepared cockpit feasts for sharing with guests. Finger foods are best.
I have input but need to know more about the situation, is this a during sailing meal, snacks, after sail meal, and does it involve cooking or pack in/pack out?
Old 10-04-2012

CapnBones is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Boat Snack

Man take some fried chicken. It tastes good cold, and everyone loves fried chicken. Also it is easy, find a place with good fried chicken and buy it.

Edit: Also rum has always been a favorite snack on my boat. Guess it depends on your situation.
Tempest, bigdogandy and Se'id Meis like this.
Old 10-04-2012

wouldrathersail is on a distinguished road
Oh heck, the reason I keep getting invited to sail on OPB are my husbands crew lunches
Old 10-04-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Deviled eggs (using one of those deviled egg containers works best of course, and they can be made ahead of time. I make two batches: the standard recipe and one that's different. My eggs with a bit of sun dried tomato, capers and a thin ribbon of prosciutto on top is always a hit.)

A good, soft buttery Brie and good crackers

Guacamole and chips (I take all the ingredients and prepare on board)
Flybyknight, JimMcGee and ccriders like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-04-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Real simple cockpit snack.

1 pack of Philly cream cheese.
1 jar of your favorite salsa (we like Pace)
1 box of Townhouse crackers (or your favorite cracker)

Put the cream cheese on a plate or in a bowl. Pour the salsa over it. Stick a butter knife in the middle for spreading on crackers.

We call it boat crack. It's damn addictive and is good at the dock or when sailing.

If you want to get all fancy you can use mango salsa.
Flybyknight, CapnBones and Squidd like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 10-04-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Best Boat Snack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Real simple cockpit snack.

1 pack of Philly cream cheese.
1 jar of your favorite salsa (we like Pace)
1 box of Townhouse crackers (or your favorite cracker)

Put the cream cheese on a plate or in a bowl. Pour the salsa over it. Stick a butter knife in the middle for spreading on crackers.

We call it boat crack. It's damn addictive and is good at the dock or when sailing.

If you want to get all fancy you can use mango salsa.

I just logge on to post this same reciepe...but Jim beat me to it...

+1
Old 10-04-2012

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldrathersail View Post
I have input but need to know more about the situation, is this a during sailing meal, snacks, after sail meal, and does it involve cooking or pack in/pack out?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

So far all meals have been eaten under sail.
Today I am going to grill chicken skewers that have been marinating over night and serve with a satay sauce. I am going too grill some chicken breasts at the same time for Sundays curried chicken salad.
Old 10-04-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Smoke the ribs at home prior, wrap in tinfoil and reheat on the grill...just before serving, toss a couple lobster tails on the barbie long enough for the butter to melt in the tin can...
Flybyknight and JimMcGee like this.
Old 10-04-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Often our afternoon snack in the summer is home made ahi tuna & asparagus sushimi, mango and chessie crab sushi. We make the rice ahead of time and carry an ample supply of pickled ginger and wasabi on board at all times. This with chilled plum wine and 7 up shooters make a great snack underway. We can be heard yelling WASABI and then quenching with a shooter on hot summer days/

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner