SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

looking for nice marinas VA/NC/SC

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Chiquita 
#1 ·
Planning the next phase of our boat life and hoping to explore these states a lot more in depth......

So we are looking for really nice marinas, that are affordable monthly for at least a couple of months at a time....Liveaboard while there, seeing the local sites by boat several times a month as well as some shore side excursions and some day sailing.

Hopefully 35-38 ft monohull (we have sold our P42 and hope to downsize to something just for the two of us, but now have to have at least a double berth, not vberth)

All we need are clean showers/bath house and safe dockage.

Your ideas, as well as recent rates and terms. Yes I have googled and active captain'ed quite a few and sent email to even more...with zero email response. Good as well as the bad.

Thanks in advance and email is fine to kd3pc at verizon dot net

#2 · (Edited)
The Sailing Emporium at Rockhall is nice. You are within a day sail of many prime cruising grounds there. During my overnight stay there, I met the owner(s) of at least 3 boats that ended up staying there on an extended basis after an intended transient stay. I believe I paid $2 a foot per night for a transient slip, which seems to be average. There are liveaboards and many large, beautiful sailboats in the marina (apparently a higher demographic than we impoverished Virginia - Potomac River sailors).

If you favor a more industrial atmosphere, the Cape Charles Town Marina has nice docks and a brand new bathhouse for about $1.80 a foot per night for transients.

Finally, Little Creek and Bay Harbor in Norfolk have/had a $99 for a month trial/introductory special. I keep thinking about leaving my boat there for a month the next time I want to leave the Chesapeake for an extended cruise, in order to make a quicker getaway during the best weather window.

#3 ·
I am the author of the Atlantic Cruising Club's Guide to Mid-Atlantic/ICW Marinas (Norfolk, VA to St. Mary's, GA) book with bound-in DVD. All of the data from the book and the 5,000 photos from the searchable DVD are all also posted at the AtlanticCruisingClub's website. While this consumers' guide is intended for cruising boaters looking for transient slips, there is a huge amount of data that would be useful for boaters looking for extended, liveaboard stays.

If you have specific questions after reviewing the site, please post them here or email me through the site. I know the areas quite well, have visited every marina several times and can likely answer most questions.

Beth Adams-Smith

#5 ·
Though pricier, and I can't vouch for facilities, Oriental is the best "base" for North Carolina. If you don't mind using a day to get to a good starting point for the rest of the state, New Bern Grand Marina is affordable, has good facilities, and a lot more shoreside activity.

South Carolina is more of a "journey" state, as it doesn't have much other than the ICW.

#6 ·
I don't often make recommendations for marinas, but you have to look at River Dunes. A 5 star resort marina. We paid under $300/month last summer for a 42' boat.
Only downside is it's remote. You might need a car. But for that price, you could get Enterprise to deliver from New Bern on a long term contract. They do have 2 loaner cars for short hops to Oriental for groceries & hardware.

#7 ·
xort, we looked at River Dunes - they had a booth at the Annapolis boat show, and they said no liveaboards, just transient for a couple of weeks, how long did you stay?

and even if its pricier, I would definitely put Charleston, SC on the list, wonderful city to explore

#9 ·
Xort,
Just had to make sure you weren't listing Chuckles Riverside Dock and Home as a top stop :)

Ferry Point Marina on the Magothy will do short term rates if they have an opening. Good rates, full service and a new restaurant.

#10 ·
I'd look at New Bern Grand Marina in New Bern, NC. The facilities are great. Located right down town New Bern. Floating docks, free pump outs, swimming pool, and great staff. Last time I checked the rates were $8 per foot monthly, $6.50 per foot with an annual or 6 month agreement. 10% discouunt for prepay.

Easy sail to Oriental, about 20 miles. Location wise Oriental is about perfect but I don't believe there are any floating docks and the marinas in Oriental were higher priced. Good luuck!

#11 ·
Had a great experience at Deltaville Yacht Center. Very clean, nice bathrooms, very helpful to include a vehicle for your use to go out and handle tasks, groceries, dinner, etc. Very quiet and VERY protected. During the warmer season they have a salt water pool and covered day lounge with kitchen, bathrooms, TV, books etc. Its right on the Bay.
I don't have a lot of places I have visited but this is my favorite.

- Another fun place is Colonial Beach Yacht Center. They have their own restaurant there and have many sailors there. If you need any repairs there is Sam is the boat yard. This guy is awesome !!

Hope that helps !
73's sir
Don
S/V Chiquita
N4MDX

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.