Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
looking for nice marinas VA/NC/SC

Planning the next phase of our boat life and hoping to explore these states a lot more in depth......

So we are looking for really nice marinas, that are affordable monthly for at least a couple of months at a time....Liveaboard while there, seeing the local sites by boat several times a month as well as some shore side excursions and some day sailing.

Hopefully 35-38 ft monohull (we have sold our P42 and hope to downsize to something just for the two of us, but now have to have at least a double berth, not vberth)

All we need are clean showers/bath house and safe dockage.

Your ideas, as well as recent rates and terms. Yes I have googled and active captain'ed quite a few and sent email to even more...with zero email response. Good as well as the bad.

Thanks in advance and email is fine to kd3pc at verizon dot net
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: looking for nice marinas VA/NC/SC

The Sailing Emporium at Rockhall is nice. You are within a day sail of many prime cruising grounds there. During my overnight stay there, I met the owner(s) of at least 3 boats that ended up staying there on an extended basis after an intended transient stay. I believe I paid $2 a foot per night for a transient slip, which seems to be average. There are liveaboards and many large, beautiful sailboats in the marina (apparently a higher demographic than we impoverished Virginia - Potomac River sailors).

If you favor a more industrial atmosphere, the Cape Charles Town Marina has nice docks and a brand new bathhouse for about $1.80 a foot per night for transients.

Finally, Little Creek and Bay Harbor in Norfolk have/had a $99 for a month trial/introductory special. I keep thinking about leaving my boat there for a month the next time I want to leave the Chesapeake for an extended cruise, in order to make a quicker getaway during the best weather window.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 10-04-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2012

wanderingmariner is on a distinguished road

I am the author of the Atlantic Cruising Club's Guide to Mid-Atlantic/ICW Marinas (Norfolk, VA to St. Mary's, GA) book with bound-in DVD. All of the data from the book and the 5,000 photos from the searchable DVD are all also posted at the AtlanticCruisingClub's website. While this consumers' guide is intended for cruising boaters looking for transient slips, there is a huge amount of data that would be useful for boaters looking for extended, liveaboard stays.

If you have specific questions after reviewing the site, please post them here or email me through the site. I know the areas quite well, have visited every marina several times and can likely answer most questions.

Beth Adams-Smith
Old 10-07-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

have you checked out Active Captain?
Old 10-07-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Though pricier, and I can't vouch for facilities, Oriental is the best "base" for North Carolina. If you don't mind using a day to get to a good starting point for the rest of the state, New Bern Grand Marina is affordable, has good facilities, and a lot more shoreside activity.

South Carolina is more of a "journey" state, as it doesn't have much other than the ICW.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-07-2012

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

I don't often make recommendations for marinas, but you have to look at River Dunes. A 5 star resort marina. We paid under $300/month last summer for a 42' boat.
Only downside is it's remote. You might need a car. But for that price, you could get Enterprise to deliver from New Bern on a long term contract. They do have 2 loaner cars for short hops to Oriental for groceries & hardware.
Old 10-09-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

xort, we looked at River Dunes - they had a booth at the Annapolis boat show, and they said no liveaboards, just transient for a couple of weeks, how long did you stay?

and even if its pricier, I would definitely put Charleston, SC on the list, wonderful city to explore

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 10-09-2012

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

We had the boat there for a month, monthly rate was too good to pass up. We did leave for 2 weeks to go "home" but I don't know if they knew that going in. My guess would be a month would be OK as long as you didn't look like trailer trash.
Old 10-09-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Xort,
Just had to make sure you weren't listing Chuckles Riverside Dock and Home as a top stop

Ferry Point Marina on the Magothy will do short term rates if they have an opening. Good rates, full service and a new restaurant.
Old 10-09-2012

rdstanley is on a distinguished road

I'd look at New Bern Grand Marina in New Bern, NC. The facilities are great. Located right down town New Bern. Floating docks, free pump outs, swimming pool, and great staff. Last time I checked the rates were $8 per foot monthly, $6.50 per foot with an annual or 6 month agreement. 10% discouunt for prepay.

Easy sail to Oriental, about 20 miles. Location wise Oriental is about perfect but I don't believe there are any floating docks and the marinas in Oriental were higher priced. Good luuck!