Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012

Tanley is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I try to clean my own sails

As these sails are new to you, I'd consider taking them to your local loft for this initial cleaning and ask them to inspect them for damage/fatigue while they have 'em. You'll find out a lot about the loft through this process (good or bad) and if you like their work, you've started a relationship for future needs.

For a modest cost, we get ours cleaned at the end of each season where we had them made (Doyle Sails). If we pay for the cleaning within 30 days of dropping them off, they store them for free in the off season, inspect and make any minor repairs/modifications at no additional charge.

The people at our Doyle loft are great and I like that we're contributing to our local economy. The same loft cut the sails for Mirabella V, but they treat us like we're their best customer every time we go in - and they alrady know we only have a 28' boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2012

marcberoz is on a distinguished road

My sail maker said to use oxiclean. The 1st time I used it, I washed the mainsail while still on the mast. (Wash with soft brush, rinse and raise the sail another 4 feet.) Came out great and I was shocked at how well oxiclean cleaned the cabin top too with no effort. Ever since, I've used oxiclean for washing sails & topsides.
Marc
HDChopper likes this.
Old 10-05-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

They're 20+ years old. Are you really that worried about messing them up? If they don't fail as soon as you put them up, a simple scrubbing on the front lawn will be fine. Use laundry soap and a scrub brush. I've used Tilex in a spray bottle on stubborn stains on old sails too, with no ill effect.

I would not use Tilex or bleach on a sail that's less than 10 years old. After that, why not?
Old 10-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcberoz View Post
My sail maker said to use oxiclean. The 1st time I used it, I washed the mainsail while still on the mast. (Wash with soft brush, rinse and raise the sail another 4 feet.) Came out great and I was shocked at how well oxiclean cleaned the cabin top too with no effort. Ever since, I've used oxiclean for washing sails & topsides.
Marc
Isn't oxyclean just oxalic acid, ie Bartenders Friend and a thousand other products?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-06-2012

marcberoz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Isn't oxyclean just oxalic acid, ie Bartenders Friend and a thousand other products?
Wikipedia says:
The active ingredient in OxiClean is sodium percarbonate (Na2CO3ēH2O2), an adduct of sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2).

Don't know whether this is the same main ingredient in other cleaning products or not.
Old 10-06-2012

AirborneSF is on a distinguished road

I used 'oxiclean' on my sails, and scrubed with a 'soft' brush, removed everything except mold stain from being rolled up, and getting rained on.( I took them to a loft, to get the mold stain out, it was only like $2.00 a lb. for their cleaning.)