Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Re: Bug out boat

All though I already answered, I'll amend it here...

In the case of serious natural disaster or societal collapse, my boat wouldn't likely be my escape, as wouldn't be looking to escape. I have to many family and good friends in the area to run away. I'm more of a band together and help out type. I mean, who do we take, and who do we leave to fend for themselves? We could likely take my mom, or my wife's parents, but not both. But not my brothers and their families, or my wife's brother and his family, or my cousin and his family, and that's just the start.

Running away seems like a selfish and pointless exercise, unless things are so bad their all dead, but the chance's of that are quite slim.

My family has some property locally that can be farmed, in the event of serious calamity, that's likely where we would all fall back to.

However, as stated before, in the event of more personal calamity like loosing my job in the middle of a major financial crisis and looking at losing the house and not knowing what to do next, then I would consider "bugging out" on the boat for a while, do what we want to do anyway, but without some of the "niceties" we're saving for now and without the financial cushion we want to have. It's nice to know we could do that for a while and be OK.

It's also nice to know that in the event of total financial ruin, I also have all those family members and lots of good friends that would help us out if needed. But if it was feasible to "bug out" rather then mooching off them, I would take the opportunity as I want to do that anyway
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2012

sailpower is on a distinguished road

Hmm, leave Fort Lauderdale and go..................where?

I can't imagine any place looking forward to my arrival if the SHTF.
Old 10-05-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderGuy View Post
All though I already answered, I'll amend it here...

In the case of serious natural disaster or societal collapse, my boat wouldn't likely be my escape, as wouldn't be looking to escape. I have to many family and good friends in the area to run away. I'm more of a band together and help out type. I mean, who do we take, and who do we leave to fend for themselves? We could likely take my mom, or my wife's parents, but not both. But not my brothers and their families, or my wife's brother and his family, or my cousin and his family, and that's just the start.

Running away seems like a selfish and pointless exercise, unless things are so bad their all dead, but the chance's of that are quite slim.

My family has some property locally that can be farmed, in the event of serious calamity, that's likely where we would all fall back to.

However, as stated before, in the event of more personal calamity like loosing my job in the middle of a major financial crisis and looking at losing the house and not knowing what to do next, then I would consider "bugging out" on the boat for a while, do what we want to do anyway, but without some of the "niceties" we're saving for now and without the financial cushion we want to have. It's nice to know we could do that for a while and be OK.

It's also nice to know that in the event of total financial ruin, I also have all those family members and lots of good friends that would help us out if needed. But if it was feasible to "bug out" rather then mooching off them, I would take the opportunity as I want to do that anyway
You are one of the lucky ones. Most folks can only take a few days with their family before they need to get away.
AKscooter and elspru like this.
Old 10-05-2012
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road

@ Islandguy:

You make some very valid points. Society hasn't progressed to the point we are at today by acting on a every man for themselves mentality.

One thing the Prepper types underestimate is what it is to be human... Every crises man kind has faced in the past we faced by banding together and overcoming it. Look at this nation post 911.. Europe during WWII with victory gardens, neighbors feeding neighbors... Post Katrina 1000s of Americans opened their homes and housed victims all across the country.

Last year we happened to be in VT when they had their major flooding and people where without power, houses washed away, schools flooded out... We saw people pull together and start cleaning up as soon as the water receded. Business that didn't have power to operate emptied their freezers and held community BBQs without charge. 4x4 clubs hauled water and gas into places that were cut off from access to town etc.
elspru likes this.
Old 10-05-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I definitely consider it a survival means.Amazing how, when things get rough, people sell their boats, which would enable them to live cheaply ,in order to hold onto their houses, which would do the opposite.
AKscooter likes this.
Old 10-05-2012

Alias is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
zombies can walk on the bottom.
Hopefully the fish can get to them before they can get to you. Good odds considering that the zombies are essentially 'walking chum' for fish.
AlaskaMC and Brewgyver like this.
Old 10-05-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

My plan is to get as far away from Americans as I can. They have too many heavily armed preppers just itching to start shooting each other at the first hint of trouble.
Freerider and elspru like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2012
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias View Post
Hopefully the fish can get to them before they can get to you. Good odds considering that the zombies are essentially 'walking chum' for fish.
Unfortunately, in a T virus based zombie outbreak, then you just have an ocean full of zombie fish That would really ruin the swimming and can you imagine a great white zombie? (that sounds like a rock band name )

On the bug out front, the north west would be a good place to be on a sailboat. Lots of food (zombie ocean life notwithstanding), water and very few people. Life would be hard though, but I imagine better than the overcrowded places on earth.

Oh, and as far as post SHTF currency goes, a old friend that was into this sort of thing swore it would be the venerable 22 round. Most common firearm in existence so very high demand. He buried cases of them in waterproof food containers (the ones the ship olives and such in). He figured that after the apocalypse you could trade them for just about anything.
Old 10-06-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Yep, you trade one of them 22 rounds and the rest are for free Each one of them is a dinner after all so its best to keep them.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 10-06-2012

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road

Why was a bill passed to allow the president to take private vessels, vehicles, food, property, and etc.? why did FEMA have a order for 4 million rounds of 40 caliber ammunition? why are there 260 prisons in the United States that the government denies called residential centers? What does homeland security have to do with this? Why is it being hidden from the general public? Why are our civil rights being violated every day and nobody seems to care? under the patriot act it takes very little to declare martial law. There is much more, that I don't have time to list. But I invite any of you that reads this to do your research. I think worrying about volcanoes is the least of your worries...CaptG
Freerider and elspru like this.