Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road
Re: Bug out boat

Yah, but what if they Zombify the fish? That would be really bad - your dinner would be trying to eat you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias View Post
Hopefully the fish can get to them before they can get to you. Good odds considering that the zombies are essentially 'walking chum' for fish.
Alias likes this.
Old 10-07-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

no need to paint my boat. if this really did happen i have a few boats in the harbor that would be the first thing for me to "borrow" till it gets better. make a few and raft then together
Old 10-09-2012

TomandKarens34 is on a distinguished road

There are four pillars that keep our society running. Food/water, Energy, transportation and communication. If any one of those were to be interrupted, even for a less than a month, it would be a significant event. Several months would cause the catastrophe people fear. The fantasy that it will all happen in one big rush however, is very unlikely. Maybe it will happen in one local area, like it did in New Orleans, but over the whole USA, I don't see that kind of event happening, even if there was a hyper inflation. It's a slow motion train wreck that is most likely. They are planning for it anyway. They even have new money printed. Its red instead of green, so its easy to tell from the old stuff.
It is an interesting idea to have a " bug out boat ". In a sudden crisis, about the last thing you want to do is jump on your boat. In all likely hood, the locals would stop you and take your stuff. In a long slow decent, say two to eight years, your boat may be the best thing to leave in. Provided you can figure out where to go... and how you will live when you get there... If you figure out that part, please let me know.
Brewgyver and elspru like this.
Old 10-09-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandKarens34 View Post
There are four pillars that keep our society running. Food/water, Energy, transportation and communication.
Uh..

4?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

While the idea of getting offshore to protect yourself for a short period of time may be feasible, there is no way that a boat will sustain you for any lengthy period of time.

If you are relying on solar or wind for power, what will you do when the regulator fails or you need new batteries?

If you are living without any modern electronic convenience, what will you do if your rudder breaks? No where to haul out. I suppose you could attempt to mend your sails for a long time, but eventually that won't work. Then what?

If I went one season without access to parts and tools that I don't have, living aboard would start to become dangerous........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Oh yea, this one just gave me a chuckle........ How would you pump out????

Wouldn't you love to see what a fanatical environmentalist does in this situation. I'm betting they would be at the head of the line to go in the Bay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-09-2012
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road

We're totaly self contained .. throw off the lines and we're good for a year or so..
had an instance a few years ago that was impressive..
We had stopped at Brookings Oregon on our way back down from the far north.. While there they had a tsunami warning.. and we all know when one of those comes in, you want "Deep" water..
We untied the boat and were headed out withing 1 to 2 minutes.. joining us was another 3 or 4 cruisers equepted as we, but it was kind of funny watching all the people running up and down on the docks throwing crap around, and trying to get there boats ready to leave..
Went a few miles offshore and spent a couple hours bobbing around and chatting with others.. the warning came and went, nothing happeded that day, but it did show the difference between those that are ready and those that say they are..
Bugging out for us is just another day on the water.. this is where we live.
Old 10-09-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If you are living without any modern electronic convenience, what will you do if your rudder breaks? No where to haul out. I suppose you could attempt to mend your sails for a long time, but eventually that won't work. Then what?
Asking questions like that on a thread like this is like asking "why would she open that door?" during a zombie movie.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Asking questions like that on a thread like this is like asking "why would she open that door?" during a zombie movie.
So, you're saying this thread is not to be taken seriously? Seems like it has received some serious replies.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 10-09-2012

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road

My take on the "bug out" option is to get away from the crowd and let things settle. The other option is to get you to somewhere else that is safer.

Circling at sea is likely not an option and I suspect that you would be a target that's easily caught if observed by the smokers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
While the idea of getting offshore to protect yourself for a short period of time may be feasible, there is no way that a boat will sustain you for any lengthy period of time.

If you are relying on solar or wind for power, what will you do when the regulator fails or you need new batteries?

If I went one season without access to parts and tools that I don't have, living aboard would start to become dangerous........