Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Bug out boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpinnaker View Post
@ Islandguy:

You make some very valid points. Society hasn't progressed to the point we are at today by acting on a every man for themselves mentality.

One thing the Prepper types underestimate is what it is to be human... Every crises man kind has faced in the past we faced by banding together and overcoming it. Look at this nation post 911.. Europe during WWII with victory gardens, neighbors feeding neighbors... Post Katrina 1000s of Americans opened their homes and housed victims all across the country.

Last year we happened to be in VT when they had their major flooding and people where without power, houses washed away, schools flooded out... We saw people pull together and start cleaning up as soon as the water receded. Business that didn't have power to operate emptied their freezers and held community BBQs without charge. 4x4 clubs hauled water and gas into places that were cut off from access to town etc.
You are right. No one is an island. It would be difficult to survive on your own. We are all very dependent on each other, even on a global level. I wonder if we could even have a true world war knowing that most countries are inter-tied.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2012

Originally Posted by TomandKarens34
There are four pillars that keep our society running. Food/water, Energy, transportation and communication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Uh..

4?
He forgot the main one: sex

Last edited by casey1999; 10-09-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Asking questions like that on a thread like this is like asking "why would she open that door?" during a zombie movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
So, you're saying this thread is not to be taken seriously? Seems like it has received some serious replies.
Minne, How serious are the serious replies? As you yourself pointed out some of them haven't been thought through - at least not realistically.

I'm fascinated by folks that are preparing for some disaster whether it be the Mayan calendar end of the world, a government takeover, some natural disaster or just some sense that "something" is about to happen. It seems to be a bit of an epidemic right now.

It doesn't seem to matter how many times or how many ways some of these theories have been debunked. For some people it remains an article of faith.

Remember the people who were stocking up on food in anticipation of the year 2000?

Hurricane preparedness in Florida, or a backup plan to get your boat away in case of a tsumani in Hawaii -- I get that. I just don't get where all this other fear is coming from. I'm not saying everyone on this thread is wrong, nor do I want to get into a debate on all the various theories. Just saying I'm not feeling it.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 10-09-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

JimMcGee, AKscooter and peterchech like this.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 10-09-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
(snippage)I could have the boat filled with stores in a short time (snip)
Well, you MIGHT be able to do that, and you might not. In a real panic situation (power outage closing most/all businesses, people looting stores), it could be very difficult. If you're at all serious about this, you have to be prepared, emphasis on the "pre". A good base stock of canned foods, bottled water, meds and first aid supplies (and realistically arms and ammo) are a must.
Old 10-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Minne, How serious are the serious replies? As you yourself pointed out some of them haven't been thought through - at least not realistically.

I'm fascinated by folks that are preparing for some disaster whether it be the Mayan calendar end of the world, a government takeover, some natural disaster or just some sense that "something" is about to happen. It seems to be a bit of an epidemic right now.

It doesn't seem to matter how many times or how many ways some of these theories have been debunked. For some people it remains an article of faith.

Remember the people who were stocking up on food in anticipation of the year 2000?

Hurricane preparedness in Florida, or a backup plan to get your boat away in case of a tsumani in Hawaii -- I get that. I just don't get where all this other fear is coming from. I'm not saying everyone on this thread is wrong, nor do I want to get into a debate on all the various theories. Just saying I'm not feeling it.
Debating the cure is different than debating the cause. I agree with you that many of the causes people attribute to needing to "bug out" are misguided or exaggerated, but it's not out of the question that we would need to. Read about super volcanos and how overdue we are for an eruption (in the USA for that matter). If unfamiliar, they are of a magnitude that would cover most of the country in ash and block sunshine in the atmosphere for an extended period. One theory suggests an eruption was the cause of the extinction of the dinosaurs and it's proven they happen routinely. My recollection is this continent has an eruption ever 600,000 years or so and it been well over that since the last.

I maintain, however, that a sailboat as the cure would be a poor choice for an extended period of time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Well, you MIGHT be able to do that, and you might not. In a real panic situation (power outage closing most/all businesses, people looting stores), it could be very difficult. If you're at all serious about this, you have to be prepared, emphasis on the "pre". A good base stock of canned foods, bottled water, meds and first aid supplies (and realistically arms and ammo) are a must.
I've got all my stores at my house. Just need to load up my truck and head for the boat (10 minutes away, with only one traffic light). You are right though, I should load up with more supplies, even if it only to shack up in my house for a couple of months during a disaster.

I would only pack up the boat and "head out" if I thought my odds were better for my wife and kids out at sea than on dry land. In 99% of the cases you would probably be better on dry land. But the boat is there for that 1% case.
Brewgyver likes this.
Old 10-09-2012

elspru is on a distinguished road

The best color to paint a boat to camouflage it is gray or khaki, that's why military boats are so colored.

In terms of lack of haul-outs, what can do is set up a pulley system, with enough mechanical advantage can do it with a group of people. Can even make a portable catamaran dock out of plastic barrels.

Lack of boat materials? best material in that case is ferrocement, as concrete was one of the first manufactured building materials, and is the most common in the world. Can even make it yourself if you have a furnace. Also the color of the boat if it's not painted is gray so it would automatically be camo. If finished with metal it makes a tight surface which makes it hard for paint to stick, so I figure it'll also be hard for barnacles and such.

In terms of "no man is an island" that's true, and also some communities are better prepared in case of a bug out situation, such as first-nations people, especially those still living the in the traditional ways.

Here in Canada with the longest coastline in the world, we have vast areas of uninhabited beaches.

We don't have a boat yet though have lots planned, and am studying more on how to sail repair boats and things like that.

Once Americans start single filing into the "residential centers" we'll probably have at least a few months if not years warning.
Also Obama said that even though he signed it, they wouldn't do it while he was in office, if he gets re-elected that means we have another 4 years. I have a spiritual feeling it'll be at least 6.
We're planning to get a boat within 3, so should be good.

Also we're only on the second-last pope, and he still seems to be in good health, probably has a few more years in him. After him is peter the roman, the last pope, and end of the catholic church, whatever finishes them off, is probably going to be quite the calamity, the last pope will be feeding famished people. So it could be either a natural calamity, or some ridiculous dictatorship.

Last edited by elspru; 10-09-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2012
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road

If I were listening to this conversation at the Yacht Club Bar, Think I'd say good-night Lucy, and I'd head for the house...................
JimMcGee likes this.
Old 10-10-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyonR3 View Post
If I were listening to this conversation at the Yacht Club Bar, Think I'd say good-night Lucy, and I'd head for the house...................
Naaaaah, after a dozen whiskeys it all makes perfect sense
JimMcGee likes this.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.