Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: Bug out boat

I'm not worrying about some doomsday situation, but having some basic supplies for a few days is actually a pretty good idea. Remember recently that "hurricane" that was approaching the northeast? Couldn't buy flashlights or batteries anywhere, and bottled water and canned food was hard to find for a few days. Fortunately it didn't hit but still...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

My 8 year old started asking questions about 9/11 last night. Then it occured to me, people used their private boats in a manmade disaster to escape it.

To all of you who say a major disaster cannot occur, watch the video, it did occur, and some boaters helped in the rescue.

Eddie Rosenstein: Tom Hanks Narrates 'BOATLIFT,' Honors Untold 9/11 Story Of Mariner Heroes (VIDEO)
Old 10-10-2012
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post

To all of you who say a major disaster cannot occur, watch the video, it did occur, and some boaters helped in the rescue.
How does provisioning your boat with several years worth of supplies factor into the success of "boatlift"?
Old 10-11-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The only realistic disaster that your boat might provide relief for would be your own personal financial disaster. If you lost your job and home and were unable to obtain another (pick any reason) and your boat is paid for, it could simply provide shelter. You would still be reliant on a functioning society to provide repair parts and, most likely, food.

It is possible that you might want to escape a flood, earthquake, or other natural disaster for a few days or weeks. However, I think most would drive to a relative or rent a hotel somewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 10-11-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-11-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpinnaker View Post
How does provisioning your boat with several years worth of supplies factor into the success of "boatlift"?
Our boat lift might be from Hawaii to California, would be good to have plenty of food so we could make it like a "Love Boat" with 4 buffets per day.
IronSpinnaker and jump5999 like this.
Old 10-12-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The only realistic disaster that your boat might provide relief for would be your own personal financial disaster.
What??!! C'mon you know that boats ARE personal financial disasters.

Personally I think it would be a pretty good place to go hide from a pandemic flu. Being in medicine I think it is a very LIKELY possibility that we'll see a bad one in our lifetime.

MedSailor

PS As for financial disaster, I did take off for 4.5 months once while unemployed and broke hoping to wait out a bad economy. Beat the heck out of sitting dockside sending out 20 resumes a day and getting crickets in return.
Old 10-12-2012

jump5999 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to jump5999

'I could have the boat filled with stores in a short time and take off for a safer destination with my wife and two kids with a couple hours notice if need be. From here in 3 weeks time I could be in California, or maybe in a couple months be in New Zealand or Australia, go where the safe zone is, or maybe live like "water world". Boat is completely solar powered, all we need is water and food and maybe some dirt.' From casey1999

Fish, rice and water is a great diet. I guess the "dirt" thing wouldn't come for a century or so. (being worth alot)
Old 10-13-2012

jump5999 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to jump5999

Concerning the "boatlift" thing...it was a great thing but has nothing to do with provisioning. Unless, of course, you want to feed those people escaping Manhatten and then your groceries ain't gonna last long.
Old 10-13-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
What??!! C'mon you know that boats ARE personal financial disasters.
Now that actually made me laugh out loud at the keyboard. You are so right!

Quote:
Personally I think it would be a pretty good place to go hide from a pandemic flu. Being in medicine I think it is a very LIKELY possibility that we'll see a bad one in our lifetime.
I think you may be right about this too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-13-2012

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

I started this thread was after spending an evening on a friends 40' sailboat we couldn't find a scrap of food to eat. We discussed the Merits of her boat and mine, while her boat is much larger and can carry much more cargo than my little 22 footer she cant afford to stock it because she is financing the boat and in this economy between her mortgage, boat payment, slip, insurance... she is broke. Any one who can do basic math can see there is absolutely no possibility that this country can avoid financial disaster be-it our own inept government or say another such as Spain. The world is at a tipping point. I'm not saying that the world will implode but if you thought 2008 was rough it was a baby compared to what is inevitable. Having a boat loaded and self sufficient could easily be the difference between spending a season on the hook in Baja drinking margarita's or spending one here unemployed and broke. Row row row your boat Gently down the stream.

So whats the worst that can happen if your boat is stocked up and in perfect maintenance? Lets see we all eat food right, next time you decided to hit the islands at the drop of a dime the boat is loaded and ready to go, just untie her and sail away.
we carry insurance and hope to never use it, we carry a first aid kit and hope to never use it, we carry some form of life raft and hope to never use it. Isn't your well being worth a grand in food? I had this same discussion with all my friends in 2006 when I was on a selling spree, the laughed me out the door. I can assure you none of them are laughing anymore. Remember your old Boy Scout motto, be prepared.
For anyone who thinks this is a foolish outlook I highly suggest you invest ten minuets in your future and read the old story of the ant and the grasshopper by Aesop.

Once there lived an ant and a grasshopper in a grassy meadow.

All day long the ant would work hard, collecting grains of wheat from the farmer's field far away. She would hurry to the field every morning, as soon as it was light enough to see by, and toil back with a heavy grain of wheat balanced on her head. She would put the grain of wheat carefully away in her larder, and then hurry back to the field for another one. All day long she would work, without stop or rest, scurrying back and forth from the field, collecting the grains of wheat and storing them carefully in her larder.

The grasshopper would look at her and laugh. 'Why do you work so hard, dear ant?' he would say. 'Come, rest awhile, listen to my song. Summer is here, the days are long and bright. Why waste the sunshine in labour and toil?'

The ant would ignore him, and head bent, would just hurry to the field a little faster. This would make the grasshopper laugh even louder. 'What a silly little ant you are!' he would call after her. 'Come, come and dance with me! Forget about work! Enjoy the summer! Live a little!' And the grasshopper would hop away across the meadow, singing and dancing merrily.

Summer faded into autumn, and autumn turned into winter. The sun was hardly seen, and the days were short and grey, the nights long and dark. It became freezing cold, and snow began to fall.

The grasshopper didn't feel like singing any more. He was cold and hungry. He had nowhere to shelter from the snow, and nothing to eat. The meadow and the farmer's field were covered in snow, and there was no food to be had. 'Oh what shall I do? Where shall I go?' wailed the grasshopper. Suddenly he remembered the ant. 'Ah - I shall go to the ant and ask her for food and shelter!' declared the grasshopper, perking up. So off he went to the ant's house and knocked at her door. 'Hello ant!' he cried cheerfully. 'Here I am, to sing for you, as I warm myself by your fire, while you get me some food from that larder of yours!'

The ant looked at the grasshopper and said, 'All summer long I worked hard while you made fun of me, and sang and danced. You should have thought of winter then! Find somewhere else to sing, grasshopper! There is no warmth or food for you here!' And the ant shut the door in the grasshopper's face.

It is wise to worry about tomorrow today.
elspru likes this.

Last edited by barefootnavigator; 10-13-2012 at 12:37 PM.