Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Re: Bug out boat

Frickin Ants...Just can't depend on them no mo'...
Old 10-13-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

Part of the community I served has a neighborhood where folks have their boats parked on private docks behind their homes. I got called to one of those homes on a Thanksgiving weekend during a windstorm and a widespread power outage. After dealing with the issue, we made small talk about how nice it was to have their trawler parked behind their house. We also talked about how the power outage was affecting their Thanksgiving dinner plans. They couldn't cook their meal. I asked why they just didn't go cook it on their boat. DOH! I was nearly blinded by the light bulb going off in their head.

Is our boat a bug-out boat? Our boat and home are stocked with items and supplies at minimal expense that will make life more comfortable for an extended period of time if the power and water are out.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 10-13-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2012
Capt Nery

nmejicano is on a distinguished road

It is surprising that many of the "prepers" and "survivalist" have not consider a sailboat as a very adequate survival tool "bug out". To be really self sustained, you have to be energy independent as well as to have the ability to make water. Solar and wind are the answers. By the way, if you are considering a typical marine water maker, think again. There are some excellent "atmospheric" water makers on the market that you can convert to solar. All you need is the space and 45% humidity, which as long as you do not intend to cruise the Sahara, is easy to have and a connection to your solar/wind power. A 10 gallons a day water maker will cost you about $850.00. Don't forget your fishing gear, a good compass and learn to use a sextant. Be friendly to the natives, bring American cigarettes as they are the best currency.
Old 10-13-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmejicano View Post
By the way, if you are considering a typical marine water maker, think again. There are some excellent "atmospheric" water makers on the market that you can convert to solar. All you need is the space and 45% humidity, which as long as you do not intend to cruise the Sahara, is easy to have and a connection to your solar/wind power. A 10 gallons a day water maker will cost you about $850.00.
Got a link to more info on that? Sounds intriguing to say the least!

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 10-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmejicano View Post
..... Solar and wind are the answers. .....
What do you do when the charge controller breaks or you need new batts, even a fuse you may not have? Works short term.

I too am interested in this atmospheric water maker, if you have a link. I'm not familiar with a dehumidifier that doesn't require a ton of energy.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-14-2012
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I too am interested in this atmospheric water maker, if you have a link. I'm not familiar with a dehumidifier that doesn't require a ton of energy.
I would love if this were a viable option. No membranes to deal with, no high pressure pumps, no through hulls. I googled "the most energy efficient dehumidifier" and came up with this:

Introducing the Most Energy-Efficient Dehumidifier on the Planet

From the above link: "Using an unprecedented 4.9 amps of energy (or 4.16 liters per kilowatt hour), the Santa Fe Impact exceeds Energy Star standards by fifty percent."

1,000W / 13V == 77Ahrs in one kilowatt.

77Ah / 4.16 = 18.5Ah consumed to produce 1 liter of water.

Hopefully the "atmospheric generators" are more efficient than that!

MedSailor

Old 10-15-2012

benjamen is on a distinguished road

Everyone once in a while every country has a little internal turmoil. I simply prefer to have the option to easily go visit another country during that time frame.

Let’s talk about facts, not fear
AKscooter likes this.
Old 10-15-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

If I lived in any medium or large city, any sized city I guess, I would have the boat stocked so it could be used as a bug out boat. Everyone knows that for whatever reason if supplies were cut off for only three days there would be panic, looting, etc and it might be safest to get the hell out for awhile. Seems only prudent to have some supplies stockpiled in the house and the boat, why not cover the bases? Long term is a different story, and depending on the cause a boat may or may not make sense as they are very dependent on key parts to make things work, and they're really difficult to plant a garden on:-))
erps and elspru like this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-15-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

I have a pretty good garden on the bottom of my boat.
Heinous and elspru like this.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 10-15-2012
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
I have a pretty good garden on the bottom of my boat.
Goosneck Barnacles "Tapas Style" with Gordon Ramsay Just remember to stock the boat with sherry, cream and a scraper and you should be golden.l (Btw, notice how much cream he puts in when he says "a couple tablespoons") Yum....

As for gardening aboard, or living loooong term aboard, there was a book on the subject. "Sailing the Farm". I found it online once and might try and find it again for a link. They had some really good drawings for home made solar-stills...

Last edited by MedSailor; 10-15-2012 at 03:58 PM.