Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
Bug out boat

This is kinda of just for fun but also kind of serious, I'm just curious how many people consider their boat as a bug in or out tool for natural or financial disaster. I'm 95% self sustainable and well on my way to 100%. I keep my boat fully stocked and can be away from the dock in less than 5 minutes. Am I crazy? are there others? Talk to me.
elspru likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Re: Bug out boat

While we don't keep it stocked for immediate long term departure, we have considered the fact that if everything really got bad, we could do just that. Things where "scary" financially a few years ago, right in the middle of the financial crash and it was comforting to know if everything really fell apart, we could live on the boat, here or elsewhere if we needed too, it's paid for, the house isn't. We plan to do that soon anyway, for a year or two while cruising. While we plan to have a good cruising kitty and such, it was nice to know we could just walk away from the house and sail off if we needed too.

Luckily, it didn't come to that. Or perhaps, unluckily as where still not cruising... I guess that depends on your view point...
jump5999 likes this.
Old 10-05-2012

Gailbheach is on a distinguished road

I don't have my boat set up as "Bug Out" ready (it's currently on the hard) but I carefully consider all my purchases (whether for Boat, Home or just Prepping) before I buy. I have a "bug out" bag at home and one at work. I even have a to do list at home taped to the gun safe in case the Wife or Kids get home before me. If the boat was in the water she would be "Bug Out" Ready.
Southron Spirit likes this.
Old 10-05-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Ours is usually always stocked for 2-3 weeks. although I am a little short on beer right now. Plenty of whiskey and vodka though. Only thing I have left to do is fix the watermaker.

How do you deal with drinking water?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 10-05-2012

waterwks4me is on a distinguished road

I have to admit that the plan of the boat being our getaway if things got bad has been a small security blanket for me if the bottom falls out economically. Although we don't have it stocked and ready to go as I would think it needs to be. Kinda hard convincing the wife of this doomsday senerio.
Old 10-05-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Living on a rock in the middle of the Pacific I plan to use the boat in any way that it might help in a natural or man made disaster.

In some natural disasters the boat may get destroyed (huricane or Tsunami- but during the last Japan Tsunami I took the boat out to sea in the middle of the night to ride it out, and returned to a damaged and destroyed dock).

I could have the boat filled with stores in a short time and take off for a safer destination with my wife and two kids with a couple hours notice if need be. From here in 3 weeks time I could be in California, or maybe in a couple months be in New Zealand or Australia, go where the safe zone is, or maybe live like "water world". Boat is completely solar powered, all we need is water and food and maybe some dirt.
barefootnavigator and elspru like this.
Old 10-05-2012

I'm fortunate to live in the PNW where water falls from the sky, I can also walk the shore at low tide and fill my bucket with fresh crab in about 5 minutes. There is a huge portion of the population prepping for a SHTF situation, if that happens and I doubt it will, I will just sail off into the sunset and become one of those mythical voyagers

Last edited by barefootnavigator; 10-05-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
I'm fortunate to live in the PNW where water falls from the sky, I can also walk the shore at low tide and fill my bucket with fresh crab in about 5 minutes. There is a huge portion of the population prepping for a SHTF situation, if that happens and I doubt it will, I will just sail off into the sunset and become one of those mythical voyagers
not to blow a hole in your bubble...because I do like the idea of being self sustaining - crisis or not...

but what makes you think the "shore" people are going to be amenable to you "stealing" their food....??? By what right do you even do that?

What keeps your boat from being "borrowed, used, etc" whilst you are ashore collecting "their stuff"...same for your women, perhaps left behind to stand watch or even beside you crabbing...

You are assuming that what ever happens allows clean water to rain, many scenarios do not.

There is a lot more to survival than what you are preparing to do....and I doubt any will bring out the best in mankind....read: Katrina
Old 10-05-2012

All good points, we have about a 1000 underpopulated islands here and I have enough stores to sail half way around the world, I have charts from here to Patagonia both Atlantic and Pacific and way points of every place on the planet, i sail engine-less so fuel isn't much of a concern. I'm not expecting the world to end but stuff happens. I was in a situation where I saw an entire community fun out of food in less than 2 days so I kinda know how fast stuff happens. For me I do the best I can but have zero paranoia. PS I'm not prepping, I have been living off grid for 4 years or 95% so its a small transition This problem with peppers is if there was a SHTF 90% of them would soon realize how few true skills they have.
kd3pc and elspru like this.

Old 10-05-2012

Tenoch is on a distinguished road

My biggest concern here in the PNW is the big earthquake that is bound to come. They say that ours wont come as a 7.4, but as a 9.4. My problem is I'm tied to the dock, and if I was away from the boat I dont know if I could get back to it before it was destroyed. It may not be a cause to immediately run offshore, but we may have to be self sustainable for quite some time. ..that reminds me, I better hit Trader Joe's today for a case of 'chuck'.