Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Now what

Ferret:
Yep a trip to the vet to chack and make sure if she is a she or not. Then you may want to consider having her neutered. I suppose a few shots are in order too. After we had Pumkpin for a couple of weeks and no one answered our signs we took her to the vet. $120 later I figured she was mine. Turned out she was already "fixed".

It is a committment but they return your efforts many times over. Sounds like you are already feeding her. I hope you are. Cats are very territorial and adapt well to boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Ferret:
Yep a trip to the vet to chack and make sure if she is a she or not. Then you may want to consider having her neutered. I suppose a few shots are in order too. After we had Pumkpin for a couple of weeks and no one answered our signs we took her to the vet. $120 later I figured she was mine. Turned out she was already "fixed".

It is a committment but they return your efforts many times over. Sounds like you are already feeding her. I hope you are. Cats are very territorial and adapt well to boats.
Good to see Pumkin's name pop up BP. I trust this finds her in blooming good health.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-08-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

ferretchaser--you HAVE to keep cat--one benefit you will notice on board soon--no more birdy dirty..lol..mebbe even catch ye one for a gift--is a privilege and an honor to be gifted a birdee or a mousee or whatever is caught--she is beautiful--looks a lil russian blue-ish..sweet kitty. you will enjoy her --if there is a petsmart or petco near you- go buy her stuff..dont forget toys--they love toys--keeps em in practice for hunting.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 10-08-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Cats are a natural fit for boats, and very low maintenance. Our "Tigger" quickly learned that the best place to hang out in crappy conditions was below, near the mast. Unlike the dog, who wanted to be in the cockpit. (Yeah, right).

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 10-08-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

bubba daboatkat---in da furrz.....he guards my boat and makes sure everything is same when we awaken as when we go to bed...keeps boat safe from invading species. goood kitty!

bubba on seidelmann 37 when we sailed gom...

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 10-08-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road

cats are great companions.....independent but loving. Having a critter on board makes coming back to the boat doubly wonderful.....nothing like a warm fuzzy greeting!

Being a kitten, expect Velcro to be really energetic and wild for his first few months....then he will settle into his true personality. Kittens are extremely playful and will play with anything. Do get something he can dig his claws into so you can save your woodwork and cushions. Cats will listen if you train them. Teach him to tell you when he is hungry by shaking his paw before every time you feed him. Soon he will come to you with that paw to let you know his dish is empty. Enjoy him!
Old 10-08-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all the advice. As far as I can tell, Velcro is a he.
I have been feeding him for 4 days now and he is not as skinny as he was when I first met him and has stopped gulping every scrapp of food down in one sitting that he got. I started to feed him 4 times a day. Just a little bit at a time as I did not want him to overdo things. Now he looks like a healthy puppy with a bit of a belly on him and i can fill the food bowl up and he just eats a little bit at a time and that one bowl lasts him for the day. Unlike his watered down milk. He loves that and gets a refill twice a day. ( Mornings and evenings) Is there such a thing as dried milk for cats as I don't drink cow juice and I don't think he will like just plain water of rum. So if I buy liter cartons, most of it is going to get tipped over the side as he does not drink that much and I only have a very small fridge. Have to have a run round a pet shop or two I think and see what would be useful to have on board for the little fellow
Jeeeesus I never had any kids that I know of and now this.

ATB

Michael
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 10-08-2012

nhSailDog is on a distinguished road

Congrats! Keep us posted.
Old 10-08-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhSailDog View Post
Congrats! Keep us posted.
Cheers. I will have to keep you posted as i don't know didle squat about cats so will probably come up with all sorts of stupid questions regarding cats on boats. On the upside, this thread may help someone else in the future as well in the event that they get adopted by a cat.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 10-08-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Good on you for keeping the moggy Ferret. All my life bar the last few years I've had dogs and/or cats all of them strays or unwanted by previous owners. I'd not set out to have another until I'm firmly set on terra firma but when something like that comes into your life then you just have to go with the flow. soooo cute.
wingNwing likes this.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett