Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing characteristics ?

I've sailed a 33 and 36 Hunter quite a bit. Sailed a Catalina 309 a little bit. All lake sailing. The 33 is a lot of fun up to 20 knots. After that, it's still fun, but if the waves are in short periods, it does pound a bit. This is a quick vid of 7.9 knots in about 15 knots wind.
. In those conditions, with minimal wave action, it pretty much sails itself, leaving me to attend to the stereo.

I found the 36 to be a little less 'sporty', and a little less fun as a result. You get more woohoo's out of the 33.

Neither goes dead downwind very well due to the rig. But neither are the as horrendous as some will have you think.

Both are easy to single hand.

The 309 feels like a bigger boat than it is. The hull shape is a bit more rounded, so it didn't pound much in the waves.
Pegu club likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Funny comments, but a bit harsh! Yes these are beamy coastal cruisers which will not perform like a more race oriented boat. That said, skip the roller furling main and opt for the deep keel and the Catalinas will be decent performers.
True, it's more fun to be harsh though. I own a Formosa 41 myself so it's not exactly like I'm sailing a T-bird.

I've raced on a 1980 catalina 30 for 10 years. It's a suprisingly sturdy and good sailing boat. We never point quite as high as the competition but we are competitive. I have never sailed on a hunter, though at the dock their hardware seems undersized. I also don't see the point of the overly complicated BNR rig.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Okay, serious answer...

These are very similar boats. There really won't be enough difference between them to matter. Most especially to anyone who is fairly new to sailing.

Now, if you were asking about the differences in sailing characteristics between a Westsail 32 and a Hunter 32... Well, then we'd have something to talk about.
Old 10-08-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Crealock designed the Westsail 32...
Old 10-08-2012

Pegu club is on a distinguished road

Thanks to those that shared their thoughts and experiences, the info is helpful. Soon yet not soon enough me and the admiral will choose and we can stop renting the twenty foot Bristol on the weekends.
Silvio likes this.
Old 10-08-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

I am curious why the OP zeroed in on the Hunter and Catalina over all the other offerings out there!

As others have implied, there are other options out there that would be worthy of consideration, particularly in the "sailing Qualities" department!
Hull#101
Old 10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I am curious why the OP zeroed in on the Hunter and Catalina over all the other offerings out there!

As others have implied, there are other options out there that would be worthy of consideration, particularly in the "sailing Qualities" department!
Well, the biggest reasons thus far is that at 6'4" tall I actually fit on the boats I referenced, I can lay down in the aft berth and not hit my head in the salon, I as well have a limited expense account for the purchase, and a cruiser is what I am looking for. I fully understand that some boats "sail" better than others, hence asking about sailing characteristics. I did get some useful info from some who seemingly understood the line and purpose of my question.

If you have a suggestion I am more than happy to here your advice, thanks.
Old 10-09-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Why buy a new boat instead of a quality used boat, fully outfitted, at 1/4 to 1/2 the cost?
Old 10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Why buy a new boat instead of a quality used boat, fully outfitted, at 1/4 to 1/2 the cost?
I will likely do as much, that's why I was going for some feedback here. As to the hunters and Catalina's I fit in them well, not very many boats that I have seen in the size range I'm after that 6'4" people fit into.
Old 10-09-2012

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Us crusty old salts like boats with more character than the C and Hs of the world, thus the beige comment and its popularity. Also be prepared for comments like your sailing a Clorox bottle or comparison to belly buttons, in that everyone has one.

Catalina has made 60,000 boats for a reason. They have okay sailing characteristics while providing as much space below as possible at a price point. They won't be the fastest or heaviest built but if you want a lot of space below and a large cockpit in a newer boat, for weekending and day sails to fit you, look no further.

If you want the respect of the members here though I would suggest a different boat preferably one designed by Bob Perry.