Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012

Pegu club is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing characteristics ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Us crusty old salts like boats with more character than the C and Hs of the world, thus the beige comment and its popularity. Also be prepared for comments like your sailing a Clorox bottle or comparison to belly buttons, in that everyone has one.

Catalina has made 60,000 boats for a reason. They have okay sailing characteristics while providing as much space below as possible at a price point. They won't be the fastest or heaviest built but if you want a lot of space below and a large cockpit in a newer boat, for weekending and day sails to fit you, look no further.

If you want the respect of the members here though I would suggest a different boat preferably one designed by Bob Perry.
I understand the pedantic responses, "beige" etc, they can be humorous. As to weekends and day sails, I have spoken to many people who take their H's and Cs out for weeks at a time, so I'm thinking that their is some unfounded bias to some degree concerning this. The same type of discussions occur in my world when comparing hand built $10,000.00 carbon fiber racing bicycles( I own one) to their $4,000.00 competitors. The thing is that the production bikes do quite well and see the finish line first frequently.

I lurk/post here for information and insight, as to the need to be in the cool kids group...

Again thank you to those who shared their knowledge and experience , you have been quite helpful.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

I certainly understand the appeal of the sheer volume and amenities of the Hunters and Catalinas. If I were to choose between the two I think I would favor the Catalina. Although I haven't sailed the particular models you are looking at, friends that have the Cats seem very happy with their boats sailing qualities, for what they are! I know racers who have gone to Catalina because they were silly enough to let their wives see their interiors! You even see a fair number of Catalinas on the race course, and not always at the back of the fleet either! I can't say the same for Hunters. I don't think I have ever seen one of those race, and when I see them on the water they never seem to be able to get out of their own way! Of course alot of that could be the people who own them too!
Hull#101
Old 10-09-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Good thing I sail a ho-hum commoner's boat. Sorry Bob... Some of us look good in beige

For the record, I buy my sport-coats off the rack as well.
cthoops likes this.
Old 10-09-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The same type of discussions occur in my world when comparing hand built $10,000.00 carbon fiber racing bicycles( I own one) to their $4,000.00 competitors. The thing is that the production bikes do quite well and see the finish line first frequently.
I take pride in riding the crappiest bike in the peleton, that still gets the job done!

I think one of the reasons many participate in this forum is to dive into the nuances of various boats, so sometimes it is difficult to just get a straight answer to a simple question. I'm sure there are answers to be found with enough searching.
Old 10-09-2012

The problem is the answer to the question can be very subjective. Someone who has only ever sailed a Hunter might say that they are wonderful to sail, while someone who has sailed on more performance oriented boats might say they sail like pigs!
Unless you happen to find someone who has spent significant time sailing both boats you will be hard pressed to get a useful comparison.
Hull#101
Old 10-09-2012

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road

Every boat is designed with a purpose. I think the OP wants a boat designed to be a coastal cruiser. Therefore, isn't assessing the racing qualities of a Hunter a moot point?
Pegu club likes this.
Old 10-09-2012

MarkCK is on a distinguished road

If finding the most room for the money is your primary goal, then then the Hunter's and Catalina's of the world is what you ought to be looking for. Personally I like Catalina's over Hunter's but that is just based on their reputation. I have done very little sailing on either.

You have figured early in your search that a character boat with lots of upkeep and varnishing is a lot work. You will probalby spend more time out sailing and relaxing on your boat than the guy slaving away on his blue water cruiser.
Pegu club likes this.
Old 10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
Every boat is designed with a purpose. I think the OP wants a boat designed to be a coastal cruiser. Therefore, isn't assessing the racing qualities of a Hunter a moot point?
I was merely pointing out that although I have seen plenty of Catalinas on the race course, I have never seen a Hunter. That was not to say that the OP should be concerned with weather he could race a Hunter. The comment speaks directly to sailing qualities that make a good sailboat. While it is true that there are some "qualities" desireable in a race boat that may not be desireable in a cruising boat, the fact remains that performance boats are such because they have more good sailing qualities. They tend to have better sail plans, better weight distribution, better keel design, better hull form, better ergonomics etc. Keep in mind that I am not just talking about race boats, I am talking about performance cruisers, racer-cruisers and just well designed cruisers.

In my mind even a coastal cruiser should be a good sailer. I still want to get where I am going in decent time. The better a boat sails the more likely it is you will spend more time sailing and less time motoring. We have friends that have a Hunter 45, and they don't even bother with the sails unless it is blowing over 10kts, because they are hopelessly under powered.
Hull#101
Old 10-09-2012

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

We just moved up from a 1993 Macgegor to a 2000 Catalina 320, we are VERY HAPPY with it! I am very impressed on how it moves along in very light winds, we also were out in 30 knot winds the Sunday before last she did good in that as well although I had to pay attention a little closer. Just board boats until you find the "One" She'll speak to you.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 10-09-2012

daledog is on a distinguished road

lets throw a 32 Islander MKII in the conversation. Where does it rate with these? No I'm not ONLY pandering...there's one near me I can get reasonably...