Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012

GCASKEW is on a distinguished road
V berths

Due to budget we messy not be able to get a catamaran, and may have to settle on a 34 - 37 sloop. The question its how many people that stay on board for several months at a time sleep in the V berth ?

I'm trying to get something with an island berth like Hunter legend but I can go cheaper if we slats sleep in the Caribbean berth .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2012
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
Re: V berths

Haven't been onboard for months at a time but do take trips of 5 or more days throughout the season and we used the v-berth in our 36' sloop...and have a dog with us as well.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Lived aboard our CSY33 full time for 10 years now; v-berth is the only cabin so of necessity that's where we sleep, except on passage, when we're either in the sea berths in main cabin, or cat-napping in the cockpit.

Only issue with v-berth is making the bed with traditional sheets; we recut king-size sheets into triangles to fit easier: Life Afloat Archives: Square Peg, Round Hole
rikhall and AlaskaMC like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 10-08-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I bet there is more room on any 34-37' Hunterbenelina than there is on my 27' Bristol. My wife and I get along just fine in the space we have.
Old 10-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Our V berth is one of ther largest for the older traditionalsetup. It can accomadtae 8 ft llemgthwise easily. We usually sleep in the V when at anchor or in our slip.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-08-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

V berth .....I am sure I have one of them on the boat but have not seen it in a while. I think its under those sails, jerry can, fishing gear, tools, etc. Must have a dig around in the pointy end and have a look if it is still there. I'll let you know if I have a v berth once excavations are completed.

ATB

Michael
Flybyknight likes this.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 10-08-2012

GCASKEW is on a distinguished road

Lol ferretchaser. .. I'm just afraid that sleeping in some of the aft berths we've seen may make some kind of dormant claustrophobia kick in. .. Some of them on the 34 and 36 boats won't even let you sit up in bed.. I can see many knocked heads in the middle of the nights in those berths.
Old 10-08-2012
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Our v-berth is not spacious, and you do need a certain amount of flexibility to get in and out, but it's very comfortable and cozy.

I had custom sheets made and put memory foam over the cushions, very comfortable. I don't really make the bed... never did on land either.

There are two of us, and a dog... but I make the dog sleep on the shelf at the bow. Sounds worse than it is... her bed is made of memory foam too. Usually though she sneaks down in middle of night.

I'd prefer a more normal bed... but I'd also prefer to win the lottery.

Old 10-08-2012

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road

I have a Catalina 36 which, by all accounts, has a pretty fair sized V berth. When I lived aboard many years ago, my GF and dog & I got along fine. Recently, I find it a bit claustrophobic. I'll wake up at some point and momentarily panic like I'm in a coffin until I realize where I am. After a few nights, though, I'm fine. I keep a night light on in the salon so I can get my bearings if I wake up in the dark. Silly, but it helps.

Mike
Flybyknight likes this.
Old 10-08-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

V-Berth on our old 34'er I found a bit cramped in the front end tootsie department. 40'er has wide enough shallow end of the V to sleep head forward in cooler weather though bit stuffy in mid summer. Whichever way I sleep fine on the bigger boat whereas on the smaller I'd often end up sleeping on one of the settees.

If on board for extended periods I could easily survive on the 40'er but unless I was by myself I'd find 34 too cramped.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett