Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Anyone else enjoy the lively conditions this weekend?

Autumn is def the best time of year for the kind of sailing I enjoy most, in good winds pushing the boat to its limits.

You can see Manhattan under the low side starting at about 2:00

However this is also a season for added precaution.

My father was on LI sound Saturday about 5 miles east of Port Jefferson towards the end of the day, cruising back from Block Island on his c&c 32, when the coast guard came on Channel 16 and advised all small craft to find shelter because "40 knot winds and 10' seas" were a-coming. Well the front swept in shortly after, and fortunately he already had sail down and was under motor making way to shelter. Once it hit he was only able make about 2 knots at full power into the wind and waves and it took him hours to make it into the harbor. He heard on the radio that one boater was not so lucky, and had called for rescue just outside of Port Jefferson harbor. Throughout the night he says his boat was shaking in the wind, and he was pretty happy about having just bought an oversized plow type anchor for the trip.

Last weekend, during a distance phrf race, we saw a front moving in but stayed powered up anyway, full main and 155 genny. It was 3-4 miles away, so we figured we had some time before it hit. Wrong. Thirty seconds later we got a massive wind shift, autotacked and then just as we lost nearly all speed a tremendous gust caught us. It started blowing at least 22-25 knots and the boat got knocked down severely. It was spreaders in the water, with the guys on the low side literally swimming/floating above the lifelines as the boat was pinned at over 90 degrees for probably 10 seconds. Finally the cockpit crew was able to get the sheet released (funny how difficult it becomes to do this at 90 degrees) and we wound up taking the main down until we got control of the boat. Racers are great at going fast, but not at tying in reefs (they have no practice I guess haha) so my cruising experience for the first time became an asset to the overall effort and we finally got a reef in and were able to power into the 4-5 foot waves that had suddenly come up as the wind was just beginning to subside. About 40 minutes later the front had passed and there was little more than a whisper on the water and a huge rainbow behind us:

Autumn makes for great sailing I must say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Anyone else enjoy the lively conditions this weekend?

Recognized Lady Liberty off to the port along with the tall building next to Liberty Landing Marinia on the Jersey side/

Looks like you had a double reef in the main, and it was still flapping around.

Fun sail

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-09-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Looks like you had a good sail!
Old 10-09-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

yea i had the same gust a little more tho 30-35 gusts and i had a 1/4 of the genny out and i was doing 7mphs on my coronado 27 down wind. it was crazy really dangerous doing that by my self. at the opeing of the harbor it was 6 ft waves :/
Old 10-09-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

whoa ! toooooo much wind for me ! I'm more of a fair weather sailor. lets hear it for cellphone satelite capability.
Old 10-10-2012

tweitz is on a distinguished road
Anyone else enjoy the lively conditions this weekend?

Skipped Saturday because of the forecast. Went out Monday, expecting an autumn sail. Cloudy, cool and absolutely no wind! Go figure.
Old 10-10-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Oh hell yeah!!

Nice sailing chech!

PS - We too took advantage of the great weather this weekend - but with slightly less success. Check out my write up in the BFS thread. It's worth the giggle.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-10-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2012

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

We raced from Newport to Block Island on Saturday. Wasn't as bad as you describe up here. 20-25 on the nose for the second half of the race but plowing through choppy seas with altogether too much sail up. Rail in the water pretty much the whole way. Thrilling and the only dry spot was where I was standing (behind the wheel). Great day and last hurrah for the season. 37 boats registered, only 22 finished. Motored back on Monday. Water was as smooth as can be. What a difference a day makes.
Old 10-11-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinRI View Post
We raced from Newport to Block Island on Saturday. Wasn't as bad as you describe up here. 20-25 on the nose for the second half of the race but plowing through choppy seas with altogether too much sail up. Rail in the water pretty much the whole way. Thrilling and the only dry spot was where I was standing (behind the wheel). Great day and last hurrah for the season. 37 boats registered, only 22 finished. Motored back on Monday. Water was as smooth as can be. What a difference a day makes.
Sounds like a great race! Will you guys be doing something similar in the Spring, and can visitors sign up for it?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.