SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   She's on the hard now for the winter. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/92903-shes-hard-now-winter.html)

Nazdrowie 10-09-2012 06:39 PM

She's on the hard now for the winter.

Well, in Barrie, Ontario, Canada, it freezes and the boats have to come out, much to my dismay. But the good thing is that I built an "A" frame to lower the mast and it went off without a hitch. The mast is 29feet and could have been awkward, but was not! I even did it all by myself, fortunately there were marina assistants nearby, just in case. She's all cleaned up, wrapped and ready for next year!
Nazdrowie

rikhall 10-09-2012 10:00 PM

Re: She's on the hard now for the winter.

All systems with any kinds of liquid in them winterized against freezing?

Rik

kwaltersmi 10-10-2012 11:12 AM

Mine is out too. She's winterized and ready for hibernation. The duality of Great Lakes sailor's life can be maddening enough to turn me into a poet: The Fallout from Haul Out

caberg 10-10-2012 11:37 AM

Mine too. Boo.

ltgoshen 10-10-2012 01:28 PM

I'm in Lower South Carolina. It will only frost 3 to 5 times here. very seldom a hard freeze. But I will have clean the bottom ever 3 to 4 weeks to keep the growth down. it makes the maintenance a pain in the bottom. HAHAHA in the "bottom"

DonScribner 10-10-2012 01:43 PM

I'm holding out. Frost this weekend but there may yet be another warm weekend to splash. Trailering a 25 footer has it's advantages. We can be in the water in about 1 1/2 hours from leaving the driveway. A few years ago, we sailed on November 14, two days before the city pulled the docks out. Tough part . . . I need to go in to mid thigh to launch and retrieve. So, another two weeks, if no good weather pattern emerges, it's a frame and baby blanket for the long cold sleep.

daledog 10-10-2012 05:21 PM

Last Oct I bought the T37, worked on it and others all year. Wasn't really in a hurry to splash because after an active 1000+ mile year I was content to take it easy. I had the bottom prepped for new barrier coat and other projects moving along when this Bermuda 40 fell into my lap. She needed rescue so I adopted her and have a new dream boat. But now, I'll be on the hard here another winter apparently. Maryland on the Bay. Last winter was a breeze on the Tartan. Had electric heat which other than condensation was fine. The Hinckley has an Espar diesel furnace which I'll be firing up soon...so I should be toasty with nice dry forced air heat. Not bad...so let it snow?

daledog 10-10-2012 05:27 PM

I also bought a Dickinson Chesapeake bulkhead mounted heater (diesel) I was going to install on the Tartan. The T37 is for sale now (anyone?) and I'm debating about the Dickinson. If a buyer would want the heater I'd include it with the Tartan, but am also thinking what a perfect set of options it would be on the Hinckley; I have a cruisaire and Espar. Add the dickinson and I'd be Arctic ready! It would be nice for chilly evenings on the hook...

scottbr 10-11-2012 10:50 AM

I'm still holding out. May go out this weekend, but low of 0c overnight. :(

Last year we were out Thanksgiving weekend, great weather, so you never know. Typically pull late Oct. and tarp first of Nov.

bljones 10-12-2012 11:11 AM

Still sailing.

Dock Six Chronicles: Sailing the Shoulder

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ltaDQMxXVp...++2012+016.jpg