Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012

finding41 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to finding41
Re: Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

Wow what a thread!
Congratulations on your decision. Please do get as much advice and training as possible to ensure you and your family's safety.
I bought a 26' boat and joined a yacht club. (Had only sailed a sunfish as a teen with almost no instruction.) Then asked members to tutor me. Lots of help out there.
Good on ya. Be safe.
Finding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

As they say:
"The second happiest day of a sailors life is the day he buys a boat. The happiest day is the day he sells the boat".

You and the owner should be two happy sailors.

Fair winds
Old 10-10-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Ok I'll bite. Trouble and strife is Londond slang ( co ckney ) for whife. Right thats that one out of the way. Seaboy I had my boat In Ipswich, in a way just down the road from you but have sailed over to the US side of the pond this summer. I did the trip solo but have done 15 transats before, all being the trade wind route and in the winter month. Take one or two people with you when going down the coast and through the chanel. Its busy down there and if you don't know exactly what you are doing, your trip south may well find an aprupt ending right there and then. I sailed to Torquay as my last port of call and filled water and diesel tank up there before I left for the azores. If you are planing on sailing south on your own, stay away from the continental shelf of the bay if biscay or things can get very steep very fast. Been down and up that way a few times and now I tend to stay well out of it. You can get back closer into shore once you get to La Coruna and then do day sailing coast hops for most of the rest of the way down the Spanish and Portuguise coast. You don't want to ruin that leather interior with a few bucket of salt water rushing down the companion way now do you? Do at least a day skipper course with the RYA so you know what all those green red and white flashing lights are for. Also take the sort range VHF cert or you could find yourself in trouble just by sailing in the wrong spots on a day when areas are declared off limits by the coast guard. Then you trip could end up in the nick and not in Italy.If you make it down to the south of Spain, another buisy stretch is the straights of Gib. Again, try to get someone who knows whats what with you in that area. If you want to do it solo, good luck and get a good life insurance so that the touble and strife is looked after when you try to walk some of the way
If you do try to take the shorter route across the bay and not stay out with lots of sea romm, take a few extra pairs of undies with ya ........ my guess is you'll need em.

Take care

Michael

ps. Some say that I am mad and I have been doing this sailing thing for a while
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.

Last edited by Ferretchaser; 10-10-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Well! Who would have thought this thread would have gone to 10 pages so quickly! What amazes me is that with so many experienced sailors and boat owners trying desperately to get you to at least slow down and think things through, the only result is that you have erased that 5% doubt that you had! Huh? If I had so many people trying to warn me that I was about to make a big mistake, it would increase my doubts not lessen them! But maybe that's just me!

Regardless, you have made your decision, and this community will be here to help you in your journey, whether it is determining what that funny noise from your prop shaft is, or what route you should take to get to Italy! You will more than likely find the answers to your questions here.

Whether you heed that advice....that's another question all together!

You never answered the question, What does your wife think of your plan?

Just curious!
Hull#101
Old 10-11-2012

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road

Hi Ant, welcome to the forum. One thing all of us sailors have in common; we're all "dreamers." LOL We understand the dream, but those of us who've been there know the reality. Small boats are big fun, small headache. Big boats are big fun, big headache. When people buy the "wrong" boat they tend to have the "wrong" experience and end up disappointed.

It's like learning to drive with a London double level bus.

I sold motorcycles for many years and frequently encountered this same attitude; bigger is better. The trouble with learning to ride on a big bike is the same problem with learning to sail on a large boat: You can get way too deep into trouble, way too fast, with deadly results.

Learning to sail is quite simple. The concept is easy to grasp and a few hours of trial and error (usually done with a small boat) will get you going. Plan to spend the next 30/40 years (if you stay with it) learning. Learning safety, weather, seamanship, your boat, yourself, etc. Like motorcycling, it's always challenging, every time you leave the dock.

I learned to sail in 1954 at the Navy base in Newport, RI., I was 12. The final exam was to singlehand their 26' boat from the dock, around the bay and back to the dock; all under sail. The fact I had such a good foundation saved my sorry ass many times. LOL It really helps to start out knowing what you're doing. When things go wrong (and they will) it comes in handy.

Good Luck,

DB
chef2sail likes this.
Old 10-11-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

If you plan on keeping this ferro boat forever then go for it, a boat is only worth what one is prepared to pay....but if you plan to sell it to upgrade later expect a value, if you keep it up to a good standard, to be about 20 to 25K so if you keep it for 10 years then a depreciation of 2.5k per year is quite reasonable as long as you prepare yourself for the inevitable. As far as insurance there are a number of companies that will insure your ferro boat but they will be expensive and will be no where near the value you place on the boat. Good luck enjoy the boat and don't over capitalize putting your mark on it, whatever you spend must be considered dead money.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 10-11-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-11-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Someone may have mentioned this already. The OP's challenge with insurance is not going to be the hull material, it's going to be lack of experience sailing and owning a 38 foot boat. The former owner's experience doesn't transfer.

Insurance companies are not adventuresome.
smurphny likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-11-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Ant, you've received some pretty good advice so far. As far as learning to sail goes, it's not rocket science. Get a book on the basic principles of sailing (or look online) for starters to understand how a sail works. In a week or so you can learn the basics of sailing and be able to take your boat out under normal conditions. It's when conditions are not normal that things get hairy!... Learn and practice reefing your mainsail until you can do it with your eyes closed. Learn how to reduce/furl your head sails. Then practice going out in progressively windier conditions until you feel comfortable sailing in higher wind.

The real challenge is learning all about your boat. This will take a much longer time, as much as a year or more, depending on how interested you are in how things work. It's really worthwhile going over every hose (change them while you're at it), wire, fuel line, through-hull, pump, the rig, line, sheet, block etc. You will need to know how everything works. When you really know everything on your boat you'll be able to relax, because you'll know how to fix or replace just about everything. Then I think you'll be ready for that longer trip you want to take. Leaving sooner just adds stress when things go wrong on board (and they will!). Since you have the previous owner around to "show you the ropes" you should milk him for all you can on how the boat works, what spares are on board (label them clearly), what has been giving trouble on board (the "quirks') and how to fix it, etc. He will also be the ideal person to show the little tricks to sail that particular boat.

I won't speculate on the value of this boat, though I have to say that if everyone here feels it's overpriced, you should look into this more closely. Boats are never a wise monetary investment. Expect to lose money on this boat, but hopefully the return in pleasure on your money investment will be more than compensation. Also, no matter how good things look on the boat, there will be a lot of things to fix, replace, change, upgrade etc. over the next months. Keep some money in reserve for this and expect things to break.

Finally, welcome to Sailnet! You'll find that you'll get a lot of good advice when it comes to sorting out the bugs on your new boat.

Cheers!
Old 10-11-2012

1958 is on a distinguished road

I see your heart is in right place but I would seriously read up on ferro boats. I see many tempting ones for sale too and I have concluded they are impossible to sell and easily damaged. I am also looking to buy my first boat and am steering clear of ferro no matter how cheap. Good luck
Old 10-11-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboy View Post
I have decided to buy a 38 foot Ferrocement boat of off my mates dad, its a big investment at 50k and im not a rich man, but i can pay for it over a period of time so its not an issue, what is an issue though, is that i have only ever sailed on my mates boat about 12 years ago, and that was just a 5 day party, that i dont remember much about if im totaly honest, i don't have a clue about what im doing when it comes sailing a boat, how hard can it be ? "right", although my mates dad is going to show me how to get on, when we put her back in the water, i am not sure how long he is going to be able to teach me as he is in bad health.
How hard is this sailing carry on, am i biting off more than i should as a novice?
if any one else has jumped in the deep end like this, i would like to hear how you got on,.
im only 37 so i have time to learn, but im thinking of pointing this thing at italy next summer! am i mad?
Deja Vue..

Don't need no lessons..just go..

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.