Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012
GreatKetch33

Deric is on a distinguished road
Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

I love ideals that value freedom, free speech, and collaboration; this thread is a wonderful example.

OP indicated a desire to spend his money, his time, and his desire to sail. He asked for opinions and suggestions, and the community obliged.

Respect for OP decision or choice to change his mind is his. IMHO, I enjoyed reading this thread because it was educational, sometimes entertaining, sometimes confusing, but ultimately well managed, norms of civility expressed, and good will tone noted.

I really like this online community.

Sail safely,
Greatketch33
davidpm likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

SN does kind of rock doesn't it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-11-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Yes. Yes it does.

I wish Ant all the best and hope he keeps us posted.

Ken

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
Old 10-11-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deric View Post
I love ideals that value freedom, free speech, and collaboration; this thread is a wonderful example.

OP indicated a desire to spend his money, his time, and his desire to sail. He asked for opinions and suggestions, and the community obliged.

Respect for OP decision or choice to change his mind is his. IMHO, I enjoyed reading this thread because it was educational, sometimes entertaining, sometimes confusing, but ultimately well managed, norms of civility expressed, and good will tone noted.

I really like this online community.

Sail safely,
Greatketch33
Well, that's why I post here and not elsewhere.

Regards

Paulo
Old 10-12-2012

seaboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Well! Who would have thought this thread would have gone to 10 pages so quickly! What amazes me is that with so many experienced sailors and boat owners trying desperately to get you to at least slow down and think things through, the only result is that you have erased that 5% doubt that you had! Huh? If I had so many people trying to warn me that I was about to make a big mistake, it would increase my doubts not lessen them! But maybe that's just me!

Regardless, you have made your decision, and this community will be here to help you in your journey, whether it is determining what that funny noise from your prop shaft is, or what route you should take to get to Italy! You will more than likely find the answers to your questions here.

Whether you heed that advice....that's another question all together!

You never answered the question, What does your wife think of your plan?

Just curious!
humm the wife!
well i have been with her 14 years now and i think she has just learned that once my mind is set on something there isnt a right lot to be said or done about it, poor lass!.
i do have to wonder where these new talks about life insurance are coming from though
All the best
Ant
Old 10-12-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Ant,

I'm hoping we don't read about your experience on the internet, unless it's a success.
Old 10-12-2012

seaboy is on a distinguished road

ahh dont worry about me, ill be ok,
i know i might seem a little cavalier about this whole thing but that is just the way i am, im quite switched on really, i wont be pointing this boat at another country if i dont think i can get there, besides i cant swim (only joking) i dont think you will be hearing any horror stories about this little adventure.
All the best
Ant
Old 10-12-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboy View Post
ahh dont worry about me, ill be ok,
i know i might seem a little cavalier about this whole thing but that is just the way i am, im quite switched on really, i wont be pointing this boat at another country if i dont think i can get there, besides i cant swim (only joking) i dont think you will be hearing any horror stories about this little adventure.
All the best
Ant

Ant your biggest problem in the whole matter is that you don't know what you don't know.
Think of it as having two boxes. One is filled with luck and is hopefully well stocked. The other one is for experience and skill. You have to try to fill the empty box before the other one runs out.
The nasty bit about experience is, that one tends to aquire it about a second after one could have realy done with having it.

Regards

Michael
MedSailor likes this.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.

Last edited by Ferretchaser; 10-12-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2012
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I can buy a sewing machine...I sew buttons on my shirts and hems in my pants- I must a surgeon
I can buy connect and screw in a light bulb,,, I must be an elctrician
I can buy and make model rockets... I must be an astronount
I can buy fly a Cessna.....I must be a commercial airline pilot
I can buy a book and learn to mediate an argument with others....I must be a arbitrator
I can buy and read law books...I must be a judge
I can buy a Ferrari...I must be a formula 1 driver
I can buy Dr Suess books...I must be a teacher
I can buy a weather app...I must me a meteorologist
I can buy and operate a computer...I must be a rocket scientists/ physisct
I can buy a cookbook and follow a recipe...I must be a chef

I can buy a ferrocement sailboat...I must be a sailor,,,how hard is it really... turn on the engine,,,pull on a few pullys...use the radar and gadgets and point the boat to Italy...it will get there.

Find another hobby. Becoming a good sailor requires more than buying the boat, reading some books, getting a few pointers. You can hurt yourself and others/ If you arent ready to put the time in to gain some experience and open your mind up to listening to others who MAY have more wisdom than you, and slow down a little ( without giving up your dream), then you are a menace to yourself. However I do beleive people have the right to commit suicide.

Dave
You can hurt yourself and others/ should be Can KILL yourself and others... That is the issue, if he might just brake a leg or an arm who would care, but he can kill himself or others, that is the problem. I have started a few comments on this topic a few times since the first day the troll started it, but have always refrained.
Old 10-12-2012

cookwithgas is on a distinguished road
Zamm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post

The real challenge is learning all about your boat. This will take a much longer time, as much as a year or more, depending on how interested you are in how things work. It's really worthwhile going over every hose (change them while you're at it), wire, fuel line, through-hull, pump, the rig, line, sheet, block etc. You will need to know how everything works. When you really know everything on your boat you'll be able to relax, because you'll know how to fix or replace just about everything.
Finally, welcome to Sailnet! You'll find that you'll get a lot of good advice when it comes to sorting out the bugs on your new boat.

Cheers!
Well said Copa!

If you haven't already, you should discover "ZAMM" - Find a copy of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and read it. It is completely appropriate for a sailboat owner. Especially a new owner.

Take care,

Scott in New Orleans
Attached Thumbnails
Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed-zamm.jpg  
jameswilson29 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.