Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

One thing that hasn't been commented on here is the fact that he's in Europe where FC boats seem to have a better rep than they do in North America. The Euro pavement princesses I've seen have been generally much higher standard than the local ones. They also seem to fetch much higher prices over there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2012

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Seaboy

It seems you have already made up your mind, I respect you decision, but one day your life will depend on that boat. This is a major purchase and you are thinking with your heart, not your head.
I hope you get it surveyed and properly appraised, else, the best of luck and fair winds.
Old 10-10-2012

salvex is on a distinguished road

I hadn't sailed before either so took some dinghy lessons then bought a 34 foot Hunter. My problem was the boat was in Puerto Rico and I lived in Barbados. Couldn't find a crew so I took precautions (EPIRB, auto-pilot, good GPS and charts etc.) and single-handed her back to Barbados. Of course, the Caribbean isn't as busy as the English Channel or the ICW (for you US folk) but I never went below deck at night and cat-napped up top in full gear. I also kept a VERY close eye on the weather so I could run for one of the islands in case of trouble. One year later, I reversed the process as I got a job in the Bahamas - again, single-handed. She is still there and I'm going back for 3 weeks sailing starting tomorrow (yippee!) (currently in Saudi). Common sense, good precautions and a safety first attitude will take you a long way but no trip is ever the same twice. Italy should be do-able with the right planning and precautions and you only live once. Go for it and enjoy!
smackdaddy and oysterman23 like this.
Old 10-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboy View Post
.....i know the guy has spent around 150.000 on it over the years as he still has all the recipts....
Your primary concern should be your inexperience in owning a boat, not your inexperience in knowing how to sail it.

This guy's experience is absolutely common and you can expect the same, over and over. There are no exceptions. Every boat I've ever bought has had unexpected issues that have prevented me from getting to many projects I desired when I bought her. My current boat was babied and only a few years old when I bought her. No exception. Every year has thrown me a curve ball.

Everyone has a different tolerance for adventure, but if you run out of money, you own a yard queen that you can't sell for what you paid.
PCP likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-10-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

You're young, you have time on your side, you are willing to part with your hard earned money. Go for it. I would not do it but you have clearly made up your mind. It may work out great for you...it may not.

All opinions in this post are based on protecting your life and your wallet.

Take the 10 months to make her yours. Also, take up dinghy sailing and get some lessons. Sail with experienced sailors. Do a lot of reading. You may be a natural. Some are. Most are not.

Above all else, the best advice you have gotten so far is to get a survey. This will help you learn the boats systems and know for sure if she is capable of the voyage you may not be capable of.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes. There are an amazing number of knowledgeable sailors here with vast knowledge on everything you may encounter.

Cheers
Sabreman likes this.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 10-10-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

It is remarkable how many people make up their minds decisively from the first few comments they hear or read about a subject. From that point on they are simply trying to validate the position which they now have a mental stake in, and they are totally certain about their opinion even though they have zero objective experience to base it on. The guy in my marina who never sailed before but insisted that he knew what he was doing and needed no advice from the experienced sailors on his slip comes to mind. Pops open his 150 genny and full main in 20 knots of breeze, crash jibes in several circles then motors back pale faced. Yet the next time he tells everyone on the dock about his next great idea (there have been many), every experienced sailor politely tells him he is way off, yet he insists through his own reasoning that he must be correct. The guy never learns any way except the hard way, and he is certainly not the only person who is like this. At least he learns the hard way, I know guys who can't even do that. Nobody on the dock even tries to tell him stuff anymore, they mostly figure that god protects fools and drunks.

After racing this season and going out in all conditions in my own boat and in others, and even taking my first real coastal cruise this year (to BI and Newport) I have realized that most of the advice from Sailnetters is on the conservative side, but from people who really know what they are talking about. Common sense is this. If the resale value of a ferrocement boat is sh#t, and nobody is building them anymore, then there is prob a good reason for that. Same goes for junk rigs, steel boats, and many other ideas that have been tried but just aren't as good as the modern and generally more popular solutions.
davidpm likes this.
Old 10-10-2012

seaboy is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for all the advice, it is very helpful and appreciated,.
i know it sounds like i have totaly made up my mind on this, and to be honest im about 95% in favour, and me knowing me that's normaly good enough! but there is still that 5% saying i will get board of it after a few years, arrrg i dont know.
can i just put one thing to bed, this insurance issue, everybody on hear keeps saying i wont be able to insure it, i can.
when the current owner had fully comp on her, it used to cost him around £880 per yer year, but for the last 3 years when she was in the water he reduced it to 3rd party as he saw it as a waste of money, so insurance is not an issue, infact if i do buy it i will probably go the rout of fully comp for the first year atleast anyway.
as for the price of the boat, i did say to him that although he had spent a lot of money on the boat, that dose not necessarily mean that his valuation of the boat in todays market is correct, and i do intend to get a profesional one done.
i am going to suggest we both pay for one doing, and see if we can find some common ground on price, because i do think it is over valuated.
having said that i am not having to take out a lone with added interest, because i can pay him over a period of time so that is a plus.
i do appreciate all the advice, im a firm believer that a good conversation with a learned man, over a table and and Brandy, is better than a years worth of reading books,.
i can see that on hear most people are from the USA, there must be some really bad examples of F/C boats over there as you guys hate them i have read a lot of horror stories about badly built ones, mostly down to the fact that they have plasterd the hull by them selves, too much cement= to heavy
not enough= too weak and so on,.
when this boat was being built the guy had some guys from hartlys in Newzerland fly over to plaster it for him over a 12 hour period, so the hull is absolutly the best quality, its not your typical back yard throw together, where someone has built the hull in 3 different pours, its been done properly.
wow im talking my self into that last 5% hear lol, i knew i was on hear for a reason .
anyway getting to the sailing bit, comon guys is it really that hard, the way i see it is, set the sat nav, and way points, engine power out to sea, get the sail up if it flaps in the wind mess around with some pullys until it finds the wind and away you go, 3/4 days later im having a ravioli dinner!.
buy the way it has all the gadgets as in radar, fish finder, bow thrusters, satnav, depth sonar, auto pilot, so i suppose what im asking is, with all the tech, and a couple of months with him showing me the ropes at weekends in the north sea i should be ok shouldent i.
All the best
Ant
Old 10-10-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboy View Post
anyway getting to the sailing bit, comon guys is it really that hard, the way i see it is, set the sat nav, and way points, engine power out to sea, get the sail up if it flaps in the wind mess around with some pullys until it finds the wind and away you go, 3/4 days later im having a ravioli dinner!.
Unreasonable abuse removed by tdw.

Last edited by tdw; 10-10-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Abuse
Old 10-10-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I don't necessarily think he's a troll, but he sure sounds like he may miss the essence of sailing with all its magical nuances and opportunities to learn a bit of self-reliance rather than rely on technology.

In any event, I wish him luck.
Ferretchaser likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-10-2012

seaboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I don't necessarily think he's a troll, but he sure sounds like he may miss the essence of sailing with all its magical nuances and opportunities to learn a bit of self-reliance rather than rely on technology.

In any event, I wish him luck.
im sorry but you will have to educate me in this nautical tounge you speak?
what is a troll? because where i come from it is not a nautical term at all, im in the uk by the way.