Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

Good luck kid.
Have fun messing with your "pullys".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboy View Post
im sorry but you will have to educate me in this nautical tounge you speak?
what is a troll? because where i come from it is not a nautical term at all, im in the uk by the way.
A troll is someone who posts something to deliberately be provocative and incite the crowd. The fact that your statement about the "sailing bit" appeared to lesson its importance (whether that was your intention or not), and on a sailing forum, doesn't help.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-10-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Yeah kid. Your cavalier attitude about sailing smacks at ignorance. But I know several idiots who are quite good sailors.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-10-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Have you found a marina to keep her in? A slip for a boat that size won't come too cheap. Are you prepared for that monthly expense?

A boat that size is not a trailer sailor. Hauling, launching and rigging her is not going to be inexpensive....trucking costs, permits, launching expenses...unless of course you have alot of money, so no big deal there. Just keep her at that estate she's at now and have her hauled/launched when you want to sail then recovered/hauled back to her dry storage. Serious pain and expense for a 38' ferro boat.

Although making passage to Italy and the Med is a great and doable goal....really what you'll be getting into is a new weekend and holiday way of life. Weekends aboard at the marina, or out in a nice little cove somewhere....sailing during the day and overnighting either on the hook or back at the marina. A boat that size will be very comfortable for this...a weekend home away from home. It's a sailing lifestyle....and you'll meet many others at the marina who do the same....making new friends....and getting together in groups for a sail during the day, then drinks and steaks on the grill in the evening. When you go to take your vacation, you'll look at adventures like making it all the way around the big island!

It will be alot of fun, and a new lifestyle for you. The actual "sailing" is the easy part...don't sweat that. Sailing is like golf.....anyone can hoist canvas and grab wind, just like anyone can hit a ball, chase it, hit it again until it goes in the cup.

Doing either one of them well.....that's a whole other issue.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 10-10-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
....anyway getting to the sailing bit, comon guys is it really that hard, the way i see it is, set the sat nav, and way points, engine power out to sea, get the sail up if it flaps in the wind mess around with some pullys until it finds the wind and away you go, 3/4 days later im having a ravioli dinner!.
Yep. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Remember, Italy is south. Make sure the pullies find the right wind.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-10-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Have fun and watch out for the bay on your way down. Plenty of experienced skippers have boats at the bottom of it.

Old 10-10-2012

seaboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Yeah kid. Your cavalier attitude about sailing smacks at ignorance. But I know several idiots who are quite good sailors.
lol cheers for that, listen people i dont mean to offend, if i come accross as cocky its not intentional i just am "only kidding", its jut that if its got an engine i can drive it and fix it when i break it, although i haven got a pilots licence i can fly a plane after 3 lessons with another friend of mine, although the landing was bumpy i will admit, what im trying to say with out sounding cocky is im sure i will be ok at this unless im sorely mistaken with the technical side of things.
there must be a few people on hear who got into this the same way as im doing, every one started somewhere, i would like to hear from those people, plus it will make for some amusing stories im sure,
ps. bob im sorry to hear about your son, its not the natural way life should flow so my heart goes out to you, i might take you up on the offer of a trip out there in a few years but i wont be flying!
All the best M8
Ant
Old 10-10-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the advice, it is very helpful and appreciated,.
can i just put one thing to bed, this insurance issue, everybody on hear keeps saying i wont be able to insure it, i can.
when the current owner had fully comp on her, it used to cost him around £880 per yer year, but for the last 3 years when she was in the water he reduced it to 3rd party as he saw it as a waste of money, so insurance is not an issue, infact if i do buy it i will probably go the rout of fully comp for the first year atleast anyway.
Ant
Insurance varies with the personal knowledge they have of the owner and the type of sailing the boat does. For what I have understood the boat was sailed locally and not much.

If you really want some information on how insurance companies look or value your boat ask some major European company like Pantaenius or Groupama how much it will cost you for having a full coverage (and not only third party) for sailing European coats and all med, Including the straits, assuming that the boat is worth around 90 000 euros (that I think it was the value that you said the boat had some few years back).

By the way, what is the year of built and the designer? Do you have any photos?

Regards

Paulo
Old 10-10-2012

seaboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
Have you found a marina to keep her in? A slip for a boat that size won't come too cheap. Are you prepared for that monthly expense?

A boat that size is not a trailer sailor. Hauling, launching and rigging her is not going to be inexpensive....trucking costs, permits, launching expenses...unless of course you have alot of money, so no big deal there. Just keep her at that estate she's at now and have her hauled/launched when you want to sail then recovered/hauled back to her dry storage. Serious pain and expense for a 38' ferro boat.

Although making passage to Italy and the Med is a great and doable goal....really what you'll be getting into is a new weekend and holiday way of life. Weekends aboard at the marina, or out in a nice little cove somewhere....sailing during the day and overnighting either on the hook or back at the marina. A boat that size will be very comfortable for this...a weekend home away from home. It's a sailing lifestyle....and you'll meet many others at the marina who do the same....making new friends....and getting together in groups for a sail during the day, then drinks and steaks on the grill in the evening. When you go to take your vacation, you'll look at adventures like making it all the way around the big island!

It will be alot of fun, and a new lifestyle for you. The actual "sailing" is the easy part...don't sweat that. Sailing is like golf.....anyone can hoist canvas and grab wind, just like anyone can hit a ball, chase it, hit it again until it goes in the cup.

Doing either one of them well.....that's a whole other issue.
cheers for that you make it sound as i expect, the marina where she was before is in "Hull" England, the cost is £2800 per year, and they have said that they would love to have her back, i get what you are saying about hauling it and rigging it, the mast is 45 feet tall and needs a crane to place it, but haulage is not cheap hear in the uk, and the roads are very tight in North Yorkshire 2 cars find it hard to pass in most places out in the country, so i dont think i will be carting back and forth,.
when it goes back in the water i think she will be staying there.
thanks for your positivity
All the best
Ant
Old 10-10-2012
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road

Seaboy,
Just remember that not all FC boats are equal. Some are built to a high degree and as you said, some are built in the back yard over periods of time that weaken them but the important thing is that the reinforcement mesh has proper cover so it won't rust out on you if it's not out of stainless. Bruce Bingham wrote a lengthy treatice on ferrocement boat building that might be worth searching out. Also, from that picture, it looks as if the rig is wooden, which in itself is not necessarily a bad thing, but your going to be kept very busy with upkeep on this boat!!! Ferro cement also has issues with keeping a decent paint job on the topsides due to moisture levels in the concrete.

AS for sailing,
Make sure you take some courses and learn navigation and the international rules (COLREGS)