Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
Re: Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

I have to wonder how it will sail. The photo makes the hull look more like a power boat than a sailboat. Twin keels make me think it's not going to windward very well.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2012

seaboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Insurance varies with the personal knowledge they have of the owner and the type of sailing the boat does. For what I have understood the boat was sailed locally and not much.

If you really want some information on how insurance companies look or value your boat ask some major European company like Pantaenius or Groupama how much it will cost you for having a full coverage (and not only third party) for sailing European coats and all med, Including the straits, assuming that the boat is worth around 90 000 euros (that I think it was the value that you said the boat had some few years back).

By the way, what is the year of built and the designer? Do you have any photos?

Regards

Paulo
i think the boat was finished in 1978 and floated in 79, i have a picture of the boat in the water at Hull, but i havent got the pictures of the build although i think he will let me take pictures of his pictures if you know what i mean, many people have told me that she is an excellent example of a f/c boat, and combined with the lloyds report im not too concerned about her stability, it more about my ability !!!!, ahhh no im not ill be ok
Attached Thumbnails
Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed-2012-09-25-18.03.14.jpg  
Old 10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailak View Post
I have to wonder how it will sail. The photo makes the hull look more like a power boat than a sailboat. Twin keels make me think it's not going to windward very well.
apparently she sails very well, 7/8 notts it has hydraulic steering, but can be switched to manual if something goes wrong, he has sailed it over to France and up to Sweeden,, i think he has been around GB a few times, although im not sure how many, this guy is not trying to have me over, my freind told me that a duch guy offerd him 50k a few years ago but he wouldent take it because he dident like him lol,.
i think the only reason he is selling it to me is because he knows she isnt going to far from home, and he want to help me with doing the things i want to do to it so he knows its done properly.
All the best
Old 10-10-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Seriously-- I sense some buyers remorse in your future. That is a lot of boat for someone with minimal skills.
Old 10-10-2012

gus_452000 is on a distinguished road

Well, I have 2 thoughts in my head (I am also based in the UK)
1) ouch thats a lot of money for a FC boat, I know Hull marina very well, a boat to its owner is priceless to a buyer its worth a lot less than the owner suspects.
2) if you buy her and I am sure you will, take care of the bay of biscay, you might have a pleasant sail across to Holland down past Belgium, the English Channel is busy but OK, and Jersey and Guernsey are both great BUT once you hit the bay, be very aware!!!!!!!!!
Thats the atlantic ocean and when its bad, its a bitch, theres nothing to stop it and your small boat suddenly seems very small believe me.
Sailing is great and I know already the day my house is up for lease and I am going live aboard but honestly make sure there is someone who knows what the hell he is doing with you when you try to get to the Med for the first few times. Most of the sailing, any fool can get through, seen people who won the lottery, bought a boat never sailed ever and there fine, but that Bay of Biscay, I wonder how many boats are down there, a lot more than people think.
Enjoy have fun, but I think its well expensive for a FC boat.
MedSailor likes this.
Old 10-10-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Seaboy: I was in the same position as you four months ago. I just turned 24, not sure how different our ages are.

You should look back at my first boat thread in the forum here. I was(politely) told by the forum it was way too much boat for me. They were very right, and I'm glad I got the advice, the boat I was looking at would have been a disaster for me. 47 feet and too much of everything. I started looking at other boats, and reading the forum, and I started to figure out who's posts were thoughtful, and what criteria those who have been there and done that use. If Bob Perry is telling you you might want to think about your boat choice a bit, you really might want to take that advice. Lots of people pay for that knowledge with good reason and here you are getting it for free!

I ended up buying one that was well reviewed as a tough blue water ready smaller boat just finished equipping for cruising with new engine etc. An alberg 30. Some people here suggested it might be abit small but I went ahead anyways with a well known and expensive surveyor. I got completely screwed over, survey was a load of horse manure. Four months and another ten thousand dollars later, she's a lot closer to what I was told I was buying but I still have a ways to go before I can hoist a sail, and two people living as sneak aboards in a tiny floating construction site gets stressful sometimes.

While I don't always agree with everyone here, and it's important to have your own choices, it's equally important to consider the advice. In my case the too small is only too small while fixing her, and because there are two of us aboard right now. The trade off with my narrow beam and size was very important in my city, I fit in slips that are open for lease while my friends in bigger boats are on wait lists that may stretch to a decade. Despite that I'm now considering the move up to the size of boat initially suggested and selling my boat for about what I paid for it, a costly but valuable education in surveyors and boat repair, better value than I get from university worth every penny.
I can do that because she's attainable for many in price, and docked in the nicest location in town.

I got lucky, I landed a job fixing boats when someone saw me fixing mine every day. That job landed me some big benefits, especially in the understanding boats end of things. I'm never lucky, but this job made it all worthwhile. Now I get paid to practice and learn.

The biggest lesson: don't look at what he put in as a anomaly, look at it as a guide.
Boats spend money for you easily, I worked 90 hour weeks all summer and fit boat repair around that. My boat is nicer I'm just as broke as at the start.

It sounds like a nice boat, when all is said and done I admit a soft spot for fc(and bilge keels) I like the insulation toughness and the quiet inside vs fiberglass. But I think you need to think long and hard first. My boat showed me better what I need vs what I want etc. First boats like first girlfriends/boyfriends are often an education, some lucky few get just what they want the first time, most learn and move on. You might be handy, I've rebuilt vehicles and worked with my hands in factories and workshops to earn my living since I was 14, finally started university a few years ago. I never expected the kind of work a boat takes, I doubled the work vs complete car rebuild when I should have multiplied by ten. You're buying a small town not a car or a house. You will be providing power water sewage etc.

Can you afford to spend 50k on an education? It will be a great education, and a hard one no matter which way things go.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Faster, Sabreman, arf145 and 7 others like this.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 10-10-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Jeremy.. I was hoping you'd chime in..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-10-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboy View Post
lol cheers for that, listen people i dont mean to offend, if i come accross as cocky its not intentional...is im sure i will be ok at this unless im sorely mistaken with the technical side of things..
Sure you'll be fine, unless you drown. Go for it, hey what's the worst that can happen?
Old 10-10-2012

Fully Detached is on a distinguished road
A little bit crazy,but hey.. what the hell!
Old 10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Seaboy: I was in the same position as you four months ago. I just turned 24, not sure how different our ages are.

You should look back at my first boat thread in the forum here. I was(politely) told by the forum it was way too much boat for me. They were very right, and I'm glad I got the advice, the boat I was looking at would have been a disaster for me. 47 feet and too much of everything. I started looking at other boats, and reading the forum, and I started to figure out who's posts were thoughtful, and what criteria those who have been there and done that use. If Bob Perry is telling you you might want to think about your boat choice a bit, you really might want to take that advice. Lots of people pay for that knowledge with good reason and here you are getting it for free!

I ended up buying one that was well reviewed as a tough blue water ready smaller boat just finished equipping for cruising with new engine etc. An alberg 30. Some people here suggested it might be abit small but I went ahead anyways with a well known and expensive surveyor. I got completely screwed over, survey was a load of horse manure. Four months and another ten thousand dollars later, she's a lot closer to what I was told I was buying but I still have a ways to go before I can hoist a sail, and two people living as sneak aboards in a tiny floating construction site gets stressful sometimes.

While I don't always agree with everyone here, and it's important to have your own choices, it's equally important to consider the advice. In my case the too small is only too small while fixing her, and because there are two of us aboard right now. The trade off with my narrow beam and size was very important in my city, I fit in slips that are open for lease while my friends in bigger boats are on wait lists that may stretch to a decade. Despite that I'm now considering the move up to the size of boat initially suggested and selling my boat for about what I paid for it, a costly but valuable education in surveyors and boat repair, better value than I get from university worth every penny.
I can do that because she's attainable for many in price, and docked in the nicest location in town.

I got lucky, I landed a job fixing boats when someone saw me fixing mine every day. That job landed me some big benefits, especially in the understanding boats end of things. I'm never lucky, but this job made it all worthwhile. Now I get paid to practice and learn.

The biggest lesson: don't look at what he put in as a anomaly, look at it as a guide.
Boats spend money for you easily, I worked 90 hour weeks all summer and fit boat repair around that. My boat is nicer I'm just as broke as at the start.

It sounds like a nice boat, when all is said and done I admit a soft spot for fc(and bilge keels) I like the insulation toughness and the quiet inside vs fiberglass. But I think you need to think long and hard first. My boat showed me better what I need vs what I want etc. First boats like first girlfriends/boyfriends are often an education, some lucky few get just what they want the first time, most learn and move on. You might be handy, I've rebuilt vehicles and worked with my hands in factories and workshops to earn my living since I was 14, finally started university a few years ago. I never expected the kind of work a boat takes, I doubled the work vs complete car rebuild when I should have multiplied by ten. You're buying a small town not a car or a house. You will be providing power water sewage etc.

Can you afford to spend 50k on an education? It will be a great education, and a hard one no matter which way things go.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
wow good for you 24 and owning a boat i admire that a lot, im 37 by the way
i think you might have got a hold of the wrong end of the stick though, this boat is ready to be put back in the water as she stands, everything is done to a very high standard already, its just not my taste, he is an older gentleman who built this and as such its his taste, the work i need to do on it is cosmetic, ie, flat screens, dvd players, im thinking even a ps3 somewhere, i want to redo all the seating in a soft white letherette, and im thinking about doing the same on the roof of the main cabin and galley as well, although i would say this boat is already luxurious compaired to the other F/C boats i have seen of the same Hartley & Brookes designe, i can make it better, i.e somthing i have been toying with is puting a soft shell over the stern and including some wrap around leather seating up there as well, the boat already has a pontoon that fits to the back end of the boat, " good fishing platform, or somewhere to put some mountain bikes, or even a cheap motor bike, but im thinking more along the lines of mounting a couple of fishing chairs and a beer cooler! all very nice if i get this old girl to the med!.
although i am a bit mad, im not mad enough to drop this thing in the water and on my first day head for the Med, but on the same note, im not going to spend years hugging the coast of dull, grey England either.
Having said all that by the time i have done what i want to do to that boat, i will probably be the slowest, most careful sailor in the world, in fact i have just had a flash forward! the first sign of any wind and waves, take the sails down, engine on and stick the bow into them, i cant be having the flat screens up on deck getting wet ! lol .
that last bit was Sarcasm by the way, im not a total coward, i just like my tv!
All the best
Ant
ps where have you sailed your boat, and did you fill your pants the first time out on your own?