Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

Yo sea, whatever you do, dude, make sure to keep posting your progress here...complete with pics, etc.

This is going to be seriously fun to watch. I love the leather seating idea in the cockpit. Sweet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-10-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2012

seaboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus_452000 View Post
Well, I have 2 thoughts in my head (I am also based in the UK)
1) ouch thats a lot of money for a FC boat, I know Hull marina very well, a boat to its owner is priceless to a buyer its worth a lot less than the owner suspects.
2) if you buy her and I am sure you will, take care of the bay of biscay, you might have a pleasant sail across to Holland down past Belgium, the English Channel is busy but OK, and Jersey and Guernsey are both great BUT once you hit the bay, be very aware!!!!!!!!!
Thats the atlantic ocean and when its bad, its a bitch, theres nothing to stop it and your small boat suddenly seems very small believe me.
Sailing is great and I know already the day my house is up for lease and I am going live aboard but honestly make sure there is someone who knows what the hell he is doing with you when you try to get to the Med for the first few times. Most of the sailing, any fool can get through, seen people who won the lottery, bought a boat never sailed ever and there fine, but that Bay of Biscay, I wonder how many boats are down there, a lot more than people think.
Enjoy have fun, but I think its well expensive for a FC boat.
cheers Gus sound advice!
i share your concern about the price also, and i do intend to grind him down a little bit, not sure he will move though, where are you based? Hull?
All the best
Ant
Old 10-10-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboy View Post
cheers for that you make it sound as i expect, the marina where she was before is in "Hull" England, the cost is £2800 per year, and they have said that they would love to have her back,
That's about $425 month US....not too bad really for a big boat. I'm assuming that includes power and water. If the marina has wi-fi even better. You can setup a satellite dish on the dock for TV if reception is bad or they don't offer cable.

Since the boat is on the hard now....it is the best time for a survey. DO NOT buy this boat or even offer to buy it until AFTER the survey is complete. Get a full survey, both mechanical and valuation. If it checks out and the numbers are good, get all the hull stuff done (if any) and get her launched.

Half the fun of the lifestyle is spending time aboard....afloat....just tinkering around with stuff at the marina. You get to learn to fix things, and you get to know every inch of your boat. Plus, you can kick back, watch a movie, make dinner, sleep aboard....breakfast is always the best....mornings aboard rule.

Get to know the boat...read some books on sailing and cruising.....and a bit down the road you can come back to taking her out for a sail.

There's too much to do first to worry about that. (sailing her)

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yo sea, whatever you do, dude, make sure to keep posting your progress here...complete with pics, etc.

This is going to be seriously fun to watch. I love the leather seating in the cockpit. Sweet.
please tell me you mean fun in a nice way! and not in another kind of, "train wreck" way, because i dont intend to wreck, of course i will post pics, but they wont be forthcoming until next summer, dont be hating on me, i dont do hate, only good will to all who deserve it, and help to those who need it! and before you say it, no im not religious in any way.

All the best
Ant
Old 10-10-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

I would be looking at somthing like this:

1978 UFO 34 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Managable size, bullet proof, lower purchase and operating costs, easy to sail.

Or another similar great boat:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1974...United-Kingdom

Last edited by casey1999; 10-10-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I would be looking at somthing like this:

1978 UFO 34 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Managable size, bullet proof, lower purchase and operating costs, easy to sail.
thanks for the link, but that just would not be for me, the lay out has made it too small, i have 3 dogs and a trouble and strife, + the engine looks like an angry octopus who dident appreciate being sprayed, i will try and post a picture of the room i will get from this one.
all the best
Ant
ps remember this is not my taste, but i can stand up in hear and im 6.1"
Attached Thumbnails
Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed-2012-10-07-17.13.27.jpg   Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed-2012-10-07-17.12.08.jpg  
Old 10-10-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thanks for the link, but that just would not be for me, the lay out has made it too small, i have 3 dogs and a trouble and strife, + the engine looks like an angry octopus who dident appreciate being sprayed, i will try and post a picture of the room i will get from this one.
all the best
Ant
ps remember this is not my taste, but i can stand up in hear and im 6.1"
Sorry, just trying to help. Just thinking if I had a big heavy boat like that and I made the same docking mistakes I sometimes make with my 34, I would be taking out boats and docks. But agree, you got some good space and nice windows on the yacht. I'm also 6-1 and like a small boat cabin, that way when I get thrown around by the rough seas I do not have that far to fly before hitting the other side of the cabin.
Old 10-10-2012

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have decided to buy a 38 foot Ferrocement boat of off my mates dad, its a big investment at 50k and im not a rich man, but i can pay for it over a period of time so its not an issue, what is an issue though, is that i have only ever sailed on my mates boat about 12 years ago, and that was just a 5 day party, that i dont remember much about if im totaly honest, i don't have a clue about what im doing when it comes sailing a boat, how hard can it be ? "right", although my mates dad is going to show me how to get on, when we put her back in the water, i am not sure how long he is going to be able to teach me as he is in bad health.
How hard is this sailing carry on, am i biting off more than i should as a novice?
if any one else has jumped in the deep end like this, i would like to hear how you got on,.
im only 37 so i have time to learn, but im thinking of pointing this thing at italy next summer! am i mad?
I would suggest that you use that money and go and buy an old Tartan 37. That way, you can insure it and you can sell it when you are done with it. It looks a bit like your mind is made up, however.
Old 10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Sorry, just trying to help. Just thinking if I had a big heavy boat like that and I made the same docking mistakes I sometimes make with my 34, I would be taking out boats and docks. But agree, you got some good space and nice windows on the yacht. I'm also 6-1 and like a small boat cabin, that way when I get thrown around by the rough seas I do not have that far to fly before hitting the other side of the cabin.
lol good point, im defo gona pad the roof now, that never even crossed my mind
cheers
Ant
Old 10-10-2012
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road

Ant I have been reading this whole thread and I probably can make a statement such as "most people here that don't like FC boats also don't like English cars and for that matter Italian cars". Many have made up their minds based on the great US marketing propaganda about something that might or might not has happened in the past. The tellie has a lot to do with that.
But keep in mind that there are many GOOD sailors and a few fantastic designers on this forum that can give great pointers on how to sail any type of boat and their brand/type is always slightly better than the others.
Here is some advise from an old Dutchman, been there, done that. Keeping all that in mind start some reading about sailing, navigating and boating in general. It is raining and cold too much in GB at the moment anyhow to work on boats.
A good starting read would be "Sailing for Dummies" (
Sailing For Dummies: J. J. Isler,Peter Isler: 9780471791430: Amazon.com: Books Sailing For Dummies: J. J. Isler,Peter Isler: 9780471791430: Amazon.com: Books

) Chapmans Piloting and Seamanship (
Chapman Piloting & Seamanship,64th Edition: Elbert S. Maloney: 0800368000892: Amazon.com: Books Chapman Piloting & Seamanship,64th Edition: Elbert S. Maloney: 0800368000892: Amazon.com: Books

) I know these are US links but I'm sure you can get them in England. Buy them, devourer them, keep them as reference (don't hire them) you will be a much better beginner and know what to ask to learn faster.
When you settle on the value and what you can afford you'll have a great roomy boat. Sail her to the Netherlands and back a nice trip from Hull. Don't underestimate the North Sea either as not to under estimate the Gulf of Biscayne. When in doubt you can always hug the coast line with many safe harbour close by. Longer trip but again safer and more to see.
Keep us informed.
ps. that shell you're talking about is called a bimini (not bikini) but all that jargon is talked about in the book(s) I mentioned.

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]

Last edited by EJO; 10-10-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: for some reason Chapmans didn't show