Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012

seaboy is on a distinguished road
Re: Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinRI View Post
I would suggest that you use that money and go and buy an old Tartan 37. That way, you can insure it and you can sell it when you are done with it. It looks a bit like your mind is made up, however.
yep kind of, i talked my self into the last 5% of doubt i had in an earlier post, but just to clarify, im not handing over a cheque for 50k i can pay for what might be a mistake over a period of time, you know, just so the salt can be rubbed a bit deeper!
Ant
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Stay safe, take it a step at a time and have fun.
She looks like a well loved boat.
Old 10-10-2012
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Hey it looks like that Contessa is on the hard but you still can't check out below the waterline. (lol)

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]
Old 10-10-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboy View Post
please tell me you mean fun in a nice way! and not in another kind of, "train wreck" way, because i dont intend to wreck, of course i will post pics, but they wont be forthcoming until next summer, dont be hating on me, i dont do hate, only good will to all who deserve it, and help to those who need it! and before you say it, no im not religious in any way.

All the best
Ant
I'm not a hater - but I also don't blow sugar. Either way it goes - it will be fun to watch.

Just sail her as soon as you can. The boat work part sucks.

(If you don't yet appreciate the quality of advice you've received above: Let me google that for you)
MedSailor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-10-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

I am now also voting troll.

The awful grammar for someone who is 37. All the incorrect terminology. This is just too much. It seems with every new post he pushes the limits of grammar and nautical language butchery.

Also consider this: No info in his profile and no email contact.

I'm out. I have better things to read.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 10-10-2012

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

By the way, go sailing a few times. Try to help on a delivery or go offshore, if you can. A friend of a friend fell in love with the romance and idea of cruising the world, figured he should do it safely, bought a Westsail 32 (a heavy, blue water capable boat). Spent money outfitting it. The problem was he quickly learned that he didn't care for the motion of the ocean and the first time he got caught offshore in lousy weather he decided it wasn't for him and ended up selling the boat at a fairly substantial loss. I would make sure that you at least like sailing before you invest in this boat and in this lifesyle.
davidpm likes this.
Old 10-10-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Sorry, don't know why tapa talk removed all my formatting and paragraphs that's bloody hard to read.

I haven't even raised a sail yet. Boat isn't ready. Ready and done are different.
Boats are NEVER done. Especially not in that size range. They can be ready though. You can add those things you are talking about but if you aren't spending the money to keep important systems running entropy will win eventually.
If Bob Perry and Faster can't get through to you on the costs I don't know who can. My experience has been that they are bang on.

The boat you've described would appeal to me too. But for a lot less money.
I hope you have a fantastic time, but even the nicest boats are always under repair. You can spend less in maintaining her but you'll pay for it later, unless you sell her off before that deferred bill comes due. But no one will pay you what you are looking at paying him. I'd love to be wrong, please do start a blog, I'll follow along with interest either way

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2012

seaboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I'm not a hater - but I also don't blow sugar. Either way it goes - it will be fun to watch.

Just sail her as soon as you can. The boat work part sucks.

(If you don't yet appreciate the quality of advice you've received above: Let me google that for you)
stop, i dident mean my post back to you in a derogatory way, i got what you were saying, but with the magnitude of this life voyage i am about to take on, i thought i would make light of it, no offence intended pal, by the way its blow smoke!
All the best
Ant
Old 10-10-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Can you translate "trouble and strife" as in "i have 3 dogs and a trouble and strife"? Also, even though you will be making payments to the previous owner, won't you be obligated for the entire 50,000 as you would have a signed contract?
Old 10-10-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboy View Post
I have decided to buy a 38 foot Ferrocement boat of off my mates dad, its a big investment at 50k and im not a rich man, but i can pay for it over a period of time so its not an issue, what is an issue though, is that i have only ever sailed on my mates boat about 12 years ago, and that was just a 5 day party, that i dont remember much about if im totaly honest, i don't have a clue about what im doing when it comes sailing a boat, how hard can it be ? "right", although my mates dad is going to show me how to get on, when we put her back in the water, i am not sure how long he is going to be able to teach me as he is in bad health.
How hard is this sailing carry on, am i biting off more than i should as a novice?
if any one else has jumped in the deep end like this, i would like to hear how you got on,.
im only 37 so i have time to learn, but im thinking of pointing this thing at italy next summer! am i mad?
All, the OP stated: "I have decided to buy a 38 foot Ferrocement boat," so stop trying to talk him out of it.

The questions were: "How hard is this sailing carry on, am i biting off more than i should as a novice?" and "am i mad? - I believe that the answers to both questions are subjective, and I believe that only the OP will be able to truthfully answer for himself.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.