Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Re: Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboy View Post
... the work i need to do on it is cosmetic, ie, flat screens, dvd players, im thinking even a ps3 somewhere, i want to redo all the seating in a soft white letherette, and im thinking about doing the same on the roof of the main cabin and galley ... including some wrap around leather seating up there as well, the boat already has a pontoon that fits to the back end of the boat, " good fishing platform, or somewhere to put some mountain bikes, or even a cheap motor bike, but im thinking more along the lines of mounting a couple of fishing chairs and a beer cooler! all very nice if i get this old girl to the med!...
I'm having a very hard time not seeing this as a troll thread. I mean, really, that is just bait in there.

But assuming you are not a troll, seaboy, take a sailing class or two so you can get some idea of what you will be asking your sailboat to do in your travels, before you go spend your "upgrade" money. Getting out on the water might open your eyes and change your priorities. You might opt for a liferaft instead of the leatherette, for example. Keep the beer cooler, though.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2012

seaboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
I am now also voting troll.

The awful grammar for someone who is 37. All the incorrect terminology. This is just too much. It seems with every new post he pushes the limits of grammar and nautical language butchery.

Also consider this: No info in his profile and no email contact.

I'm out. I have better things to read.
first and foremost im not a troll, but think what you want to, its of no consequence to me what so ever,
however it dose make me feel a bit sad to think, that there are people out there with this dim view of me,
so my point is this, you made me feel bad! and i dont think i should feel that way, so dose that not inturn make you the troll? or a bully at the least!
when it comes to my grammar, and i dont know why i am explaining my self here, hear, or how ever you want it spelling, i cant help you.
i am completely dyslexic, this is why it takes me so long to reply, because i spend most of my time typing words into google, and then picking the one that looks right before posting it.
i might not be able to type words in the correct way, and it will take me 5 times as long to read a book than you but that dose not give you the right to call me a troll.
i am nothing of the sort, let me say this to you sir, if you are a good example of the kind of community i am about to get in bed with, (water bed that is) then maybe i am making a mistake.
having said that, i would love for you to be stuck in my wake, (i belive that is the correct term) for the duration of a race, i would even slow down so you could see my stern for the whole time!
please dont make me out to be some kind of something that i am not,
im an ok fella, and have done nothing to you.
is that ok
ps sorry for my grammar
Old 10-10-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
I am now also voting troll.

The awful grammar for someone who is 37. All the incorrect terminology. This is just too much. It seems with every new post he pushes the limits of grammar and nautical language butchery.

Also consider this: No info in his profile and no email contact.

I'm out. I have better things to read.
I think I'm with you. OMG, and people talk about Americans butchering the English language! "dident"??? "Hear" is not the same word as "here", etc.
Old 10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
I'm having a very hard time not seeing this as a troll thread. I mean, really, that is just bait in there.

But assuming you are not a troll, seaboy, take a sailing class or two so you can get some idea of what you will be asking your sailboat to do in your travels, before you go spend your "upgrade" money. Getting out on the water might open your eyes and change your priorities. You might opt for a liferaft instead of the leatherette, for example. Keep the beer cooler, though.
the man i am going to buy this boat off of is going to show me the ropes,
he has been sailing for 30+ years,
the only thing wrong with him is that he has been diagnosed with parkinsons,
i say so what!
that will not stop him coming out with me, and making me do all the work!, pretty good deal for him actually, i pay him a load of money to work for him lol.
im going to keep my posts short as im feeling hostility towards this new wanabe sailor, just until i get a grip on this new mind set anyway.
all the best.
Ant
PS how did you get your first boat, what were your thoughts and experiences the first time you whent out on your own?.
these are the things i want to hear,
not a list of what im doing wrong before i have even started.
Old 10-10-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJO View Post
Ant I have been reading this whole thread and I probably can make a statement such as "most people here that don't like FC boats also don't like English cars and for that matter Italian cars". Many have made up their minds based on the great US marketing propaganda about something that might or might not has happened in the past. The tellie has a lot to do with that.
I actually like some english cars, used to have an 71 MG Miget, that was a fun car. Parents have a 95 Landrover they have owned since new, have 170k of trouble free miles on the car, never garaged and still looks new.

Trouble I have with Ferro boats is that they all seem big and built more to live aboard than actually sail. A friends father used to live aboard a 50' ferro boat in Annapolis on the south river (marina next to South River bridge). The father motored that boat to the marina when new and never moved it in more than 30 years- the boat might even be sitting there now. In fact he never owned sails for the boat.

Does the subject boat have sails- none shown in the picture?
Old 10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
I think I'm with you. OMG, and people talk about Americans butchering the English language! "dident"??? "Hear" is not the same word as "here", etc.
lol, wow! so now, people with a Disability are considerd trolls?, thats a bit harsh pal, just go with it, or dont join in, dont start throwing stones though, some one might just throw a boulder back at you, and you know what i mean.
please dont post on this thread again if you dont have anything to say, other than, i agree with him!
i feel this thread is getting side tracked and im biting,
i havent offended anyone here, and nor do i intend to do so.
this only leaves the question why i am getting so much stick, its either that you boys and girls, are a rough old bunch of salts, or you dont like the fact, that someone who cant spell could be joining your ranks, funny that because i dont care,.
dose anybody else have anything positive to say, regarding first time at sea stuff?
this "dude" is not included in the conversation.
all the best
Ant
Old 10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Can you translate "trouble and strife" as in "i have 3 dogs and a trouble and strife"? Also, even though you will be making payments to the previous owner, won't you be obligated for the entire 50,000 as you would have a signed contract?
trouble and strife = wife, that is all she causes me ! the 3 dogs bit was just about the room i will need.
All the best
Ant
Old 10-10-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Ant,

I'm sorry you're being attacked personally, however, when you come onto a sailing forum and declare that you're going to buy a huge, overpriced boat with absolutely zero sailing experience and then ask "am I crazy?" You kind of open yourself up to an answer to your question. Not all the answers will be to your liking. It works that way.

In my experience, the sailing community is helpful to those who want genuine assistance rather than just blanket validation of decisions already made. You're getting feedback from people who have already done what you want to do. It would be to your advantage to at least take note of their advice and tuck it away for future reference.
Sabreman, davidpm and Mobnets like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-10-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Seaboy Ant,
Here is a site you may find useful:

The World of Ferroboats

I probably have an unfounded fear of ferro boats. Just don't understand how you can build a boat out of cement with imbedded carbon steel (rebar and chicken wire) and have it last, and apparently some have lasted. How do you drill for and install seacocks? Fiberglass is so easy to work with, I would be lost working on a ferro boat- I am no stone mason. How do you repair the boat if the reinforcing steel starts to corrode? Seems one day you could have what you think is a good boat, and the next week you finde the reinforcement is no longer adequate.

Just so many unknows for me.

Last edited by casey1999; 10-10-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Seaboy, if you're not a troll, you're not a troll. "Troll" is not a nasty thing we call those we don't like--it's what we call fake posts that are really just bait to watch members go crazy. Picture going to a board for Austin Healy enthusiasts and posting that you are going to buy a friend's classic 3000, replace the body with fiberglas panels, bolt fins to the back, install an automatic transmission, and then drive it in the Paris-Dakar rally. You'd get quite a response, right? The Austin Healy heads would be suggesting that you were either crazy, misguided, or pulling their leg.

Some are just trying to figure what we've got here, because your plans look a little bit like the Austin Healy thing. No offense intended.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright