Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road
Re: Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboy View Post
lol, wow! so now, people with a Disability are considerd trolls(SNIP)
Ant
Ant, your post stating that you were dyslexic was not visible when I posted that I was tending to agree with another poster that you might be trolling. You must understand that
1. You JUST joined Sailnet yesterday
2. (See Donna's first paragraph above)
3. Your particular style of expression (not bothering with the Shift key most of the time, spelling more difficult words correctly and missing on the simplest, etc.) is difficult to read. If all that is due to dyslexia of some kind, my apologies.

Back to first time sailing, and leaving alone the choice of boat, I'm certain that if you're careful, and start out with the help of your friend's father, you'll have a GREAT time! I'm still a beginner myself, and just got my first sailboat this year, and every time out is really a lot of fun, tinged with just a bit of a "pucker factor".

Good luck!
CBinRI likes this.

Last edited by Brewgyver; 10-10-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2012

seaboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Ant,

I'm sorry you're being attacked personally, however, when you come onto a sailing forum and declare that you're going to buy a huge, overpriced boat with absolutely zero sailing experience and then ask "am I crazy?" You kind of open yourself up to an answer to your question. Not all the answers will be to your liking. It works that way.

In my experience, the sailing community is helpful to those who want genuine assistance rather than just blanket validation of decisions already made. You're getting feedback from people who have already done what you want to do. It would be to your advantage to at least take note of their advice and tuck it away for future reference.
DR
thank you for your kind comments and thoughts, but being attacked personally, i am not.
i feel its only an ignorant percentage of the crowd, who know no better, that would stoop, to such an unapproachable depth, just to have their voice heard.
i dont care for that kind of person, and comments and pokes, from such people, will no longer be answered with neither, humor nor aggression, they can simply "sail into the sunset".
i joined this site not as a sailor, but as a person who desires to become one.

as it goes, and regardless of some of the more negative comments i have encountered on here, it seems to of played out in my favour, my mind is now set in ferrocement, im buying this boat.
This way of hard headed thinking may turn out to be a mistake, so what! its not the end of the world, unless of course i drowned, then it might be!.
seriously though, if i did loose the boat, all it would really mean is, i would have to work a little harder the year after to buy a better one.
I get the feeling that some of the poeple on hear, "not all" but some, do think that they are in some way better, than the people who dont own a boat, or want to own one.

This way of thinking may only be reserved to me, im not sure, but the way i have perceived certain members attitudes on hear, is less than glorious to say the least.
All i want from this thread is other peoples experience's about going to sea, on there own, in their own boat, for the very first time.
All the best
Ant
Old 10-10-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Good on 'ya. Your post reminds me of this song;
Old 10-10-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboy View Post
All i want from this thread is other peoples experience's about going to sea, on there own, in their own boat, for the very first time.
All the best
Ant
I can tell you my experience going to sea alone (single handed) for the first time. It was apprehension and a dose of fear. And I think the bigger your boat the bigger the apprehension and fear will be. A little fear is good, too much, not so. Bigger boats mean a lot more stress and tension on the running rigging. A lot more force to deal with if something parts, and a lot harder to dock, and a lot harder to get off during a grounding.
Old 10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Good on 'ya. Your post reminds me of this song;
how did you know? your song choice is so on the mark, i think me and yee are kindred spirits, but still, its a bit depressing to think that we wont mean a thing in a hundred years, anyway i will! lol, humm !, going off topic here, i get why a lot of people cant, or wont think that way, i just don't understand it, the end of all this blogging and keeping up with the jone's bull S**T is the most natural thing we have to hold on to, in fact i will be so bold as to say, that it is the only thing, in this life we have, that we can truly count on.
its coming to us all, but how will you be rememberd in a hundred years?
any way it dosent matter, tell me how you got started with sailing
All the best
Ant
Old 10-10-2012

in addition to the audio post, the words are very meaningful to everybody on hear, sorry i caught my self, i mean *here* weather they like it or not, rich or poor, the words apply, again,...."good choice" , there should be a quiet corner on here where people can share such thoughts, and even their lyrics, to a yet unborn song,!!!! who knows, it might still be around in a hundred years!
Any mods reading? throw up a section for the creatives.
if not then lets get back on topic lol

Last edited by seaboy; 10-10-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I can buy a sewing machine...I sew buttons on my shirts and hems in my pants- I must a surgeon
I can buy connect and screw in a light bulb,,, I must be an elctrician
I can buy and make model rockets... I must be an astronount
I can buy fly a Cessna.....I must be a commercial airline pilot
I can buy a book and learn to mediate an argument with others....I must be a arbitrator
I can buy and read law books...I must be a judge
I can buy a Ferrari...I must be a formula 1 driver
I can buy Dr Suess books...I must be a teacher
I can buy a weather app...I must me a meteorologist
I can buy and operate a computer...I must be a rocket scientists/ physisct
I can buy a cookbook and follow a recipe...I must be a chef

I can buy a ferrocement sailboat...I must be a sailor,,,how hard is it really... turn on the engine,,,pull on a few pullys...use the radar and gadgets and point the boat to Italy...it will get there.

Find another hobby. Becoming a good sailor requires more than buying the boat, reading some books, getting a few pointers. You can hurt yourself and others/ If you arent ready to put the time in to gain some experience and open your mind up to listening to others who MAY have more wisdom than you, and slow down a little ( without giving up your dream), then you are a menace to yourself. However I do beleive people have the right to commit suicide.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-10-2012

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

Now that you have made your choice I hope that you will let us know how it all turns out. Best of luck in your new adventure. And I hope your dogs like sailing more than mine does.
Old 10-10-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Becoming a good sailor requires more than buying the boat, reading some books, getting a few pointers.
Really? So that's what I've been missing these last 45 years.

Seaboy - In the interest of defending the mass of too-conservative sailors on SailNet, of which I include myself, please take note of my avatar. I'm in the lower left corner. All the other people? They're giving me "a few pointers".

Sailing is one of the most complex sports on earth and one of few that can kill you too. Best of luck to you. I'm out of popcorn.

Last edited by Sabreman; 10-10-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Another voice to say, if you have made up your mind, then there is nothing left but the fun.
Did I read correctly that you are married? How does your wife feel about this family project?

If you structure the deal in your favor so you put down very little but carry all the expenses until it is launched and you got to sail it you really haven't risked too much and the seller is in a better situation because he now has the boat in the water where it will be much easier to sell to someone else if boating turns out not to be for you.

You might want to hold off on leather seats and tv's and such until the boat is in the water and you have had a chance to find out what makes sense in real life. As others have said if you don't find at least one thing that is not cosmetic that costs thousands of dollars that really should be repaired you will be the first person in all of history.

You have mentor that knows the boat that is a big plus for you. On the other hand the PO probably can't sell this boat to anyone else so if you make the deal so he gets his money after the boat has passed survey is in the water and he has made you a sailor neither of you are taking much of a risk.