SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

17K views 122 replies 56 participants last post by  smurphny 
#1 ·
I have decided to buy a 38 foot Ferrocement boat of off my mates dad, its a big investment at 50k and im not a rich man, but i can pay for it over a period of time so its not an issue, what is an issue though, is that i have only ever sailed on my mates boat about 12 years ago, and that was just a 5 day party, that i dont remember much about if im totaly honest, i don't have a clue about what im doing when it comes sailing a boat, how hard can it be ? "right", although my mates dad is going to show me how to get on, when we put her back in the water, i am not sure how long he is going to be able to teach me as he is in bad health.
How hard is this sailing carry on, am i biting off more than i should as a novice?
if any one else has jumped in the deep end like this, i would like to hear how you got on,.
im only 37 so i have time to learn, but im thinking of pointing this thing at italy next summer!:cool: am i mad?

#93 · (Edited)
Ok I'll bite. Trouble and strife is Londond slang ( co ckney ) for whife. Right thats that one out of the way. Seaboy I had my boat In Ipswich, in a way just down the road from you but have sailed over to the US side of the pond this summer. I did the trip solo but have done 15 transats before, all being the trade wind route and in the winter month. Take one or two people with you when going down the coast and through the chanel. Its busy down there and if you don't know exactly what you are doing, your trip south may well find an aprupt ending right there and then. I sailed to Torquay as my last port of call and filled water and diesel tank up there before I left for the azores. If you are planing on sailing south on your own, stay away from the continental shelf of the bay if biscay or things can get very steep very fast. Been down and up that way a few times and now I tend to stay well out of it. You can get back closer into shore once you get to La Coruna and then do day sailing coast hops for most of the rest of the way down the Spanish and Portuguise coast. You don't want to ruin that leather interior with a few bucket of salt water rushing down the companion way now do you? Do at least a day skipper course with the RYA so you know what all those green red and white flashing lights are for. Also take the sort range VHF cert or you could find yourself in trouble just by sailing in the wrong spots on a day when areas are declared off limits by the coast guard. Then you trip could end up in the nick and not in Italy.If you make it down to the south of Spain, another buisy stretch is the straights of Gib. Again, try to get someone who knows whats what with you in that area. If you want to do it solo, good luck and get a good life insurance so that the touble and strife is looked after when you try to walk some of the way ;)
If you do try to take the shorter route across the bay and not stay out with lots of sea romm, take a few extra pairs of undies with ya ........ my guess is you'll need em.

Take care

Michael

ps. Some say that I am mad and I have been doing this sailing thing for a while

#94 ·
Well! Who would have thought this thread would have gone to 10 pages so quickly! What amazes me is that with so many experienced sailors and boat owners trying desperately to get you to at least slow down and think things through, the only result is that you have erased that 5% doubt that you had! Huh? If I had so many people trying to warn me that I was about to make a big mistake, it would increase my doubts not lessen them! But maybe that's just me!

Regardless, you have made your decision, and this community will be here to help you in your journey, whether it is determining what that funny noise from your prop shaft is, or what route you should take to get to Italy! You will more than likely find the answers to your questions here.

Whether you heed that advice....that's another question all together!

You never answered the question, What does your wife think of your plan?

Just curious!

#105 ·
humm the wife!
well i have been with her 14 years now and i think she has just learned that once my mind is set on something there isnt a right lot to be said or done about it, poor lass!.
i do have to wonder where these new talks about life insurance are coming from though:confused:
All the best
Ant

#95 ·
Hi Ant, welcome to the forum. One thing all of us sailors have in common; we're all "dreamers." LOL We understand the dream, but those of us who've been there know the reality. Small boats are big fun, small headache. Big boats are big fun, big headache. When people buy the "wrong" boat they tend to have the "wrong" experience and end up disappointed.

It's like learning to drive with a London double level bus.

I sold motorcycles for many years and frequently encountered this same attitude; bigger is better. The trouble with learning to ride on a big bike is the same problem with learning to sail on a large boat: You can get way too deep into trouble, way too fast, with deadly results.

Learning to sail is quite simple. The concept is easy to grasp and a few hours of trial and error (usually done with a small boat) will get you going. Plan to spend the next 30/40 years (if you stay with it) learning. Learning safety, weather, seamanship, your boat, yourself, etc. Like motorcycling, it's always challenging, every time you leave the dock.

I learned to sail in 1954 at the Navy base in Newport, RI., I was 12. The final exam was to singlehand their 26' boat from the dock, around the bay and back to the dock; all under sail. The fact I had such a good foundation saved my sorry ass many times. LOL It really helps to start out knowing what you're doing. When things go wrong (and they will) it comes in handy.

Good Luck,

DB

#96 · (Edited)
If you plan on keeping this ferro boat forever then go for it, a boat is only worth what one is prepared to pay....but if you plan to sell it to upgrade later expect a value, if you keep it up to a good standard, to be about 20 to 25K so if you keep it for 10 years then a depreciation of 2.5k per year is quite reasonable as long as you prepare yourself for the inevitable. As far as insurance there are a number of companies that will insure your ferro boat but they will be expensive and will be no where near the value you place on the boat. Good luck enjoy the boat and don't over capitalize putting your mark on it, whatever you spend must be considered dead money.

#98 ·
Ant, you've received some pretty good advice so far. As far as learning to sail goes, it's not rocket science. Get a book on the basic principles of sailing (or look online) for starters to understand how a sail works. In a week or so you can learn the basics of sailing and be able to take your boat out under normal conditions. It's when conditions are not normal that things get hairy!... Learn and practice reefing your mainsail until you can do it with your eyes closed. Learn how to reduce/furl your head sails. Then practice going out in progressively windier conditions until you feel comfortable sailing in higher wind.

The real challenge is learning all about your boat. This will take a much longer time, as much as a year or more, depending on how interested you are in how things work. It's really worthwhile going over every hose (change them while you're at it), wire, fuel line, through-hull, pump, the rig, line, sheet, block etc. You will need to know how everything works. When you really know everything on your boat you'll be able to relax, because you'll know how to fix or replace just about everything. Then I think you'll be ready for that longer trip you want to take. Leaving sooner just adds stress when things go wrong on board (and they will!). Since you have the previous owner around to "show you the ropes" you should milk him for all you can on how the boat works, what spares are on board (label them clearly), what has been giving trouble on board (the "quirks') and how to fix it, etc. He will also be the ideal person to show the little tricks to sail that particular boat.

I won't speculate on the value of this boat, though I have to say that if everyone here feels it's overpriced, you should look into this more closely. Boats are never a wise monetary investment. Expect to lose money on this boat, but hopefully the return in pleasure on your money investment will be more than compensation. Also, no matter how good things look on the boat, there will be a lot of things to fix, replace, change, upgrade etc. over the next months. Keep some money in reserve for this and expect things to break.

Finally, welcome to Sailnet! You'll find that you'll get a lot of good advice when it comes to sorting out the bugs on your new boat.

Cheers!

#110 ·
Zamm!

The real challenge is learning all about your boat. This will take a much longer time, as much as a year or more, depending on how interested you are in how things work. It's really worthwhile going over every hose (change them while you're at it), wire, fuel line, through-hull, pump, the rig, line, sheet, block etc. You will need to know how everything works. When you really know everything on your boat you'll be able to relax, because you'll know how to fix or replace just about everything.
Finally, welcome to Sailnet! You'll find that you'll get a lot of good advice when it comes to sorting out the bugs on your new boat.

Cheers!
Well said Copa!

If you haven't already, you should discover "ZAMM" - Find a copy of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and read it. It is completely appropriate for a sailboat owner. Especially a new owner.

Take care,

Scott in New Orleans

Attachments

#99 ·
I see your heart is in right place but I would seriously read up on ferro boats. I see many tempting ones for sale too and I have concluded they are impossible to sell and easily damaged. I am also looking to buy my first boat and am steering clear of ferro no matter how cheap. Good luck

#101 ·
I love ideals that value freedom, free speech, and collaboration; this thread is a wonderful example.

OP indicated a desire to spend his money, his time, and his desire to sail. He asked for opinions and suggestions, and the community obliged.

Respect for OP decision or choice to change his mind is his. IMHO, I enjoyed reading this thread because it was educational, sometimes entertaining, sometimes confusing, but ultimately well managed, norms of civility expressed, and good will tone noted.

I really like this online community.

Sail safely,
Greatketch33

#104 ·
I love ideals that value freedom, free speech, and collaboration; this thread is a wonderful example.

OP indicated a desire to spend his money, his time, and his desire to sail. He asked for opinions and suggestions, and the community obliged.

Respect for OP decision or choice to change his mind is his. IMHO, I enjoyed reading this thread because it was educational, sometimes entertaining, sometimes confusing, but ultimately well managed, norms of civility expressed, and good will tone noted.

I really like this online community.

Sail safely,
Greatketch33
Well, that's why I post here and not elsewhere;).

Regards

Paulo

#113 ·
Yeah it does. Glad I found it.

To the OP question: My dad had never sailed when he bought a Columbia 45 back in 1977. A good friend of his was an avid sailor and racer but that wasn't my dad. He learned everything the hard way. Some things he never learned. I think because sailing wasn't in his blood. But it was in mine. That's just the way it is.

Still, he enjoyed almost 20 years of ownership with that boat and had it until the day he died. He sailed it from Chicago to Mackinac Island and into Georgian Bay. He took it down the Intercoastal to Florida and over into the Bahamas. We sailed it down the Keys and back to the Bahamas. He would have taken it anywhere, so long as he had an able crew. He ran aground. He got blown onshore. He broke some ribs and got banged up a lot. But I'll bet if he were here now he'd say he was glad he bought the boat and it brought him a lot of joy.

I learned to really sail on that boat. I often singlehanded it, sometimes because the guests aboard were too busy enjoying the ride. I learned life lessons I will never forget and discovered talents I never thought I had. And I found a community I will forever feel a part of, regardless if I'm landlocked or at sea.

#107 ·
ahh dont worry about me, ill be ok,
i know i might seem a little cavalier about this whole thing but that is just the way i am, im quite switched on really, i wont be pointing this boat at another country if i dont think i can get there, besides i cant swim (only joking) i dont think you will be hearing any horror stories about this little adventure.
All the best
Ant

#108 · (Edited)
Ant your biggest problem in the whole matter is that you don't know what you don't know.
Think of it as having two boxes. One is filled with luck and is hopefully well stocked. The other one is for experience and skill. You have to try to fill the empty box before the other one runs out.
The nasty bit about experience is, that one tends to aquire it about a second after one could have realy done with having it.

Regards

Michael

Reactions: MedSailor
#114 ·
Looks like a good boat to live aboard. A lot of boat to handle without an experienced crew. Recommend that you start small. The operating and maintenance costs on a 38 ft boat will astound you. A lot depends on construction and age. If not living aboard I think it is far more practical to have a small boat to learn and knock about on and charter a big boat for a cruise when you're ready experience wise. that will give you an idea whether an investment in a big boat it right for you.. the bigger the boat is the less you'll get out on it.

#115 ·
Little or no experience + sailboat + sailing time = additional gained experience.

I believe the thought of this thread is for one to acquire experience safely; hence, the many recommendations of suggestions to start on a smaller boat. Of course, safe is not only for the new sailor but for others who share the waters with the new sailor.

Fair winds,
GreatKetch33

#117 ·
hey seaboy go for it get the boat you will figure out every thing as you go. thats what i do i got a boat and the day i got the boat i lost my job. so no income but i make work out and my boats still floating and sailing just fine. im also only 16. so if you 37 your a little late but you can still make it work.

#120 ·
Only advice I have for you right now is to hold off on the TV's and recovering the cushions until you pay for getting the boat in the water, paying for the insurance and paying for any of the systems that need maintenance or malfunction in the first month you have the boat in the water......also use some of your leftover cash to get some formal sailing lessons.

Best of luck with your new boat.....hope it turns out well for you!

#122 ·
G'day Ant,

First let me say...I really do like properly designed and well built Ferro-Cement boats and, from what you say in your post, this boat is definitely a well designed and built boat!
You say the PO had a plastering team fly-out from Hartley, New Zealand, to plaster the boat, (Wow! Now that cost alone could have bought the builder a second-hand plastic boat :D) so that tells me that your Dad's mate did not skimp on the build. (He must be worth a few bob ;)) You also said, the yacht has all the Lloyd’s certificates, great! You can bet your life, (and you will be betting your life, all folk of the sea do so every time they go to sea) your FC boat HAS been properly designed and built to specifications...Even though I believe, at 50,000GBP, your paying way to much for the boat.
Similar well designed/built FC boats can be found in AU and NZ for 35,000 DOLLARS and upwards, depending on size, and FC boats are much cheaper in the States but then, a boat, any boat, like anything else second hand, is worth only what a buyer is willing to pay for it.

You said the boat is a Bilge Keeler. i.e. You can sail up to a beach at high tide and wait for the tide to go out, leaving the boat sitting upright on the sand, then walk ashore. So the boat is shallow draught, if that is so, perhaps you could nip over to France, enter the French canal system and go down to the Med using the canals. It's been well over forty years since I've been in the Med and I entered from the North Atlantic, I was told of the France/Med connection by other seamen in the local Greek bar, so perhaps others who have used the French canal system could advise you better on that system.

Good luck with all your plans Ant.

Bill
Australia

#123 ·
It sounds like you have quite a good grasp of the details of what you are going to do. Sometimes buying/selling things with people you know can present problems. Many friendships have been ruined by financial agreements.

As far as learning to sail her...just do it. Get someone to show you how. Read everything you can get your hands on. It's not rocket science. There are a zillion things you'll need to learn but I sense you'll skate through that. Just don't set off across an ocean before you've been out in crappy weather and know how to deal with nasty seas and high wind. You need practice and experience in what your boat can and can't do.

Are there things the boat needs to go offshore? Radios, EPIRB, radar? Liferaft, safety gear, watermaker, re-rigging. A boat can cost many thousands to bring up to snuff. Where will you dock it? How much will that cost? Boats require continual maintenance. Something is always breaking. How is the engine? Make up an Excel spreadsheet of projected expenses then add about 40% to see if you can afford it. Personally, I would never finance a boat and think it is a very bad thing for which to be in debt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.