SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/92904-im-buying-big-boat-but-i-have-never-sailed.html)

seaboy 10-09-2012 06:53 PM

Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

I have decided to buy a 38 foot Ferrocement boat of off my mates dad, its a big investment at 50k and im not a rich man, but i can pay for it over a period of time so its not an issue, what is an issue though, is that i have only ever sailed on my mates boat about 12 years ago, and that was just a 5 day party, that i dont remember much about if im totaly honest, i don't have a clue about what im doing when it comes sailing a boat, how hard can it be ? "right", although my mates dad is going to show me how to get on, when we put her back in the water, i am not sure how long he is going to be able to teach me as he is in bad health.
How hard is this sailing carry on, am i biting off more than i should as a novice?
if any one else has jumped in the deep end like this, i would like to hear how you got on,.
im only 37 so i have time to learn, but im thinking of pointing this thing at italy next summer!:cool: am i mad?

boatpoker 10-09-2012 07:15 PM

Re: Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

$50k !!! that's about 4-5 times more than a ferro boat of that size sells for. She must be absolutely incredible. Get yourself a highly qualified surveyor before you write a cheque.

bobperry 10-09-2012 07:18 PM

Seaboy:
Take some sailing lessons. Learn the basics in a dinghy There are even some teachers who will teach you on your own boat. It's going to be very hard but a lot of fun and if you don't mind looking stupid (to yourself) once and a while you are going to have a blast. I've been sailing for 52 years and I am still learning everytime I go out.

As for Italy? Yes, you are stark raving mad. Send me a postcard when you get there. Better you should make Italy part of your 5 year plan. You can have a lot of fun in your boat without crossing oceans right away.

I do agree with Poker. That price seems at least $15,000 too high for a FC boat. Can you post a pic of it?

scratchee 10-09-2012 07:20 PM

To answer your question, yes.

seaboy 10-09-2012 07:21 PM

it was valued at 88k in 2004, and i know the guy has spent around 150.000 on it over the years as he still has all the recipts, its a nice boat and every thing that has been done onit is of the best standard, although his taste in the colour scheme of the boat is not the best, i will redo all that!

seaboy 10-09-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobperry (Post 931404)
Seaboy:
Take some sailing lessons. Learn the basics in a dinghy There are even some teachers who will teach you on your own boat. It's going to be very hard but a lot of fun and if you don't mind looking stupid (to yourself) once and a while you are going to have a blast. I've been sailing for 52 years and I am still learning everytime I go out.

As for Italy? Yes, you are stark raving mad. Send me a postcard when you get there. Better you should make Italy part of your 5 year plan. You can have a lot of fun in your boat without crossing oceans right away.

I do agree with Poker. That price seems at least $15,000 too high for a FC boat. Can you post a pic of it?

how do i send pics

seaboy 10-09-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobperry (Post 931404)
Seaboy:

ps i live in the uk, so italy isnt that far! honestly

seaboy 10-09-2012 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i think i have done this right? hopefully this is a picture of her

bobperry 10-09-2012 07:29 PM

Oh, I thought maybe you lived on Puget Sound.
Go ahead. Point it towards Italy and let 'er buck!

Might be a good idea to check and see what other boats your money would buy before you hand this guy a check. I think that would be prudent.

seaboy 10-09-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobperry (Post 931414)
Oh, I thought maybe you lived on Puget Sound.
Go ahead. Point it towards Italy and let 'er buck!

Might be a good idea to check and see what other boats your money would buy before you hand this guy a check. I think that would be prudent.

i have looked at other boats, and i probably could get the same boat a bit cheaper, but the fact is i can pay him over a period of time, and he is my pals dad, he has poured his heart and soul into this boat over the years, but he has been handed a **** sandwich in the way of parkinson's disease so he cant sail on his own any more, it is currently laying out side his house on a privet estate in yorkshire England, so i can go up there when i want and put my own touches on it for the next 10 months, i can also get to know the boat with him at my side!