Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012

seaboy is on a distinguished road
Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

I have decided to buy a 38 foot Ferrocement boat of off my mates dad, its a big investment at 50k and im not a rich man, but i can pay for it over a period of time so its not an issue, what is an issue though, is that i have only ever sailed on my mates boat about 12 years ago, and that was just a 5 day party, that i dont remember much about if im totaly honest, i don't have a clue about what im doing when it comes sailing a boat, how hard can it be ? "right", although my mates dad is going to show me how to get on, when we put her back in the water, i am not sure how long he is going to be able to teach me as he is in bad health.
How hard is this sailing carry on, am i biting off more than i should as a novice?
if any one else has jumped in the deep end like this, i would like to hear how you got on,.
im only 37 so i have time to learn, but im thinking of pointing this thing at italy next summer! am i mad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Re: Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed

$50k !!! that's about 4-5 times more than a ferro boat of that size sells for. She must be absolutely incredible. Get yourself a highly qualified surveyor before you write a cheque.
Old 10-09-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Seaboy:
Take some sailing lessons. Learn the basics in a dinghy There are even some teachers who will teach you on your own boat. It's going to be very hard but a lot of fun and if you don't mind looking stupid (to yourself) once and a while you are going to have a blast. I've been sailing for 52 years and I am still learning everytime I go out.

As for Italy? Yes, you are stark raving mad. Send me a postcard when you get there. Better you should make Italy part of your 5 year plan. You can have a lot of fun in your boat without crossing oceans right away.

I do agree with Poker. That price seems at least $15,000 too high for a FC boat. Can you post a pic of it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 10-09-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road

To answer your question, yes.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 10-09-2012

it was valued at 88k in 2004, and i know the guy has spent around 150.000 on it over the years as he still has all the recipts, its a nice boat and every thing that has been done onit is of the best standard, although his taste in the colour scheme of the boat is not the best, i will redo all that!
Old 10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Seaboy:
Take some sailing lessons. Learn the basics in a dinghy There are even some teachers who will teach you on your own boat. It's going to be very hard but a lot of fun and if you don't mind looking stupid (to yourself) once and a while you are going to have a blast. I've been sailing for 52 years and I am still learning everytime I go out.

As for Italy? Yes, you are stark raving mad. Send me a postcard when you get there. Better you should make Italy part of your 5 year plan. You can have a lot of fun in your boat without crossing oceans right away.

I do agree with Poker. That price seems at least $15,000 too high for a FC boat. Can you post a pic of it?
how do i send pics
Old 10-09-2012

Quote:
Seaboy:

ps i live in the uk, so italy isnt that far! honestly
Old 10-09-2012

i think i have done this right? hopefully this is a picture of her
Attached Thumbnails
Im buying a big boat! But i have never sailed-2012-09-25-18.03.14.jpg  
Old 10-09-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Oh, I thought maybe you lived on Puget Sound.
Go ahead. Point it towards Italy and let 'er buck!

Might be a good idea to check and see what other boats your money would buy before you hand this guy a check. I think that would be prudent.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 10-09-2012

Quote:
Oh, I thought maybe you lived on Puget Sound.
Go ahead. Point it towards Italy and let 'er buck!

Might be a good idea to check and see what other boats your money would buy before you hand this guy a check. I think that would be prudent.
i have looked at other boats, and i probably could get the same boat a bit cheaper, but the fact is i can pay him over a period of time, and he is my pals dad, he has poured his heart and soul into this boat over the years, but he has been handed a **** sandwich in the way of parkinson's disease so he cant sail on his own any more, it is currently laying out side his house on a privet estate in yorkshire England, so i can go up there when i want and put my own touches on it for the next 10 months, i can also get to know the boat with him at my side!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.