Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
Re: how do i make it warm

I'm backpacking out of this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by barefootnavigator; 10-11-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Don't listen to the naysayers, you bought that little gem, sail her south where the water is warm. You can easily make a buck a foot cleaning boat bottoms, a hundred bucks a week will keep you well fed and happy-barefootnavagator
Great advice barefootnavigator.....the OP is 16 years old.

You must not have children yourself. If you did you proably would not take kindly to your advice. Maybe when he gets to be 18 he can pay his own way and walk away as you did. Then he would only be responsible to himse;f for his actions.

Quote:
When I returned to the states months later none of those old fools could look me in the eye, they knew I did what they could only dream of, I lived my life the way I had chosen to.
They probably didnt look at you any differently or even at all. This was iin your mind. Life is not necessarily made up of proving your manhood to old fools who dont know you even exist.
peterchech likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-11-2012

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

What would be better, to live life deliberately and achieve all of your dreams or to live a life doomed to mediocrity living in fear of the unknown? At 16 he is a man and can make his own decisions.

Old 10-11-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
The catalytic process produces water vapor, could there be a moisture issue there?

I had a leaky propane bottle in my boat one time, I was able to smell it and discard it but these things do happen. Would a CO monitor, kept low in the cabin, be able to detect leaking propane gas before it builds to a dangerous level?
Don't ALL boats have moisture issues? I use a Damp Rid basket, empty the bowl and refill the basket every time I visit the boat (~ 1-2 times a week, if I'm lucky). The catalytic heater will add to the moisture, but it's still the only practical, safe way to heat the cabin without being on shore power.

Peter, a typical CO detector will NOT detect propane, at any level!!! They detect Carbon Monoxide, which is a by-product of the incomplete combustion of the fuel, and not a component of the fuel itself. You would need a combination sensor which detects both CO and explosive gasses. They used to be fairly expensive, but now you can pick one up for <$50.

Also, a CO detector will probably not prevent death by anoxia due to the combustion using up the oxiygen in the space being heated. Keep that companionway hatch cracked open!
Old 10-11-2012

Quote:
What would be better, to live life deliberately and achieve all of your dreams or to live a life doomed to mediocrity living in fear of the unknown? At 16 he is a man and can make his own decisions. -barefootnavagator
Obviously you have neither had the joy, love or responsibility of having a child.

I for one havent lived life in mediorcraty and continue to dream as well as acheive ones I have set. I have no fears, have plenty of love in my life and i love life in general and live it that way. As an adult who supports yourself or other adults you have the right to make any decision which floats you boat...no hands down. You are self contained and responsible for your decisions.

Anyone can deam at any age and surely thats the impetus for many opaths in life as an adult. I commend the OP drive in wanting to get into sailing.

A 16 year old who sucks at the nipple of his parents has not acheived the right to be called an adult. When he casts off all financial responsibility and support from mommy and daddy like you and lives on his own supporting himself including a roof over his head he will be looked at as an adult.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-11-2012

We have a CO detector as well as propane monitor in our cabin.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 10-11-2012

urbanhermit is on a distinguished road

I am thinking Hookers, I think the calculation is one Hooker for every 5' 6" of boat. it is recomended to round up, if the calculation does not end up with a whole Hooker.
Old 10-11-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

lol thanks guys i am planning on selling the 50 hp i have from my last boat soon and use some of the money for a little harbor frieghnt genarator and then using a small heater and the rest of the money i will use for my start up cost of clamming next year. me and my buddy are goign to use a 13' skiff for a work boat and make money and yes im 16 but im very responsible for my stuff my parent's don't pay for any thign for my boat they refuse to and im ok with that.
Old 10-11-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I did a quick google search. Butane produces nitrogen dioxide, a poisonous gas. And according to the internet, Butane is heavier than air and sinks. Natural gas is lighter than air not Butane. According to the internet
I'm having a tough time believing this. There's no nitrogen in butane or in oxygen. Are you saying that burning butane C2H6 with O2 somehow rips apart an N2 from the atmosphere? If anything, I always though nitrogen has a cooling and oxygen-diluting effect and nothing more.

EDIT: I just did some googling. It looks like burning methane DOES grab nitrogen from the air. Learned something new. Thanks.

For the Original Poster (OP): clothes, blankets, a thermos from home. Also, maybe you can get a cheap, off-season slip if you agree that everything is at your own risk. The risks won't be worse than being at a mooring. You could also get a $25 watthour meter and pay them for the electricity that you do use. At about 25 cents a kilowatthour, and with a radiator-looking space heater, you'll have a warm boat for an evening for about a buck.

I run my stove and oven on the boat, when working on her in the winter and when underway. The stove with nothing over the burners set off the CO detector once. I don't know if using a pot over the burner would set it off or not. The oven doesn't set it off, probably because the confined space in the oven makes for better combustion. So now I pretty much just run the oven. I make cookies too. Carbon Dioxide kills you after making you drowsey. It's not something to take lightly.

Regardless, the CO detector was mandated a few years ago by my insurance company. Its one of the best things I've gotten. It's wired into the main switch, so it's always on when I'm aboard. I'm thinking about putting a second one in. (And I heard they have to be replaced every few years.)

I'd go with the warm clothes and a thermos. Or get a part time job helping out at a marina. They might make you a deal then. You've bitten off a lot to chew. Good luck, stay alive.

Regards,
Brad
LinekinBayCD likes this.

Last edited by Bene505; 10-11-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Butane produces nitrogen dioxide...
One of the reasons I'm here is to learn how to do this the right way.

The butane heater does say 'outdoor use' several times in the advert, so that's out; funny story, the butane stove says the same thing, but I see them in restaurants all over the world.

The new plan:

Amazon.com: Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater: Home & Kitchen Amazon.com: Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater: Home & Kitchen

Twice the money ($US75 vs. 35) but has a low O2 sensor and a 'tipped over' shut-off. I can carry 2 1lb propane cans in my fuel locker and have plenty of heat for even the coldest weekend. I'll still need the CO/CO2/Smoke detector and I still won't run it overnight, but it seems to be a much better option.

Thanks, Peter.

Ken
peterchech likes this.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962