Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
Re: how do i make it warm

im using candles right now
Old 10-14-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
im using candles right now
SBL .... someone mentioned very early on the ceramic pot upside down on a fuel stove (alcohol or kerosene). This method has been a staple of yachtsmen in Australia (and yes there are bits of Oz that get cold) for ever and a day. Not so good with an LPG stove (too much moisture for one) but with alcohol you will be surprised how effective. Steal one from you parent's () garden.

The other cheap alternative is a kero or oil lamp. We had one on our old boat and it was only this weekend I got round to fitting it to the new girl. As it happens Saturday was a cool evening and rather than fire up the diesel heater we lit the oil lamp. Takes the chill off the air and provided you don't want tropical temps it works a treat. (Second hand oil lamps are probably better than new. The new ones that I've had the misfortune to buy have leaked. Reality is they are made to be ornaments.)

Both alternatives will cost you from zip to just a few bucks.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 10-15-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2012

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
tea lights

first try a plate of five or six - or more - tealight candles

you will be amazed at how much heat they give off

and then the other thing you can do is to cut heat loss

try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbYSgDnbeDc

insulating the windows really makes a masive difference

Dylan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-15-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
The new plan:

Amazon.com: Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater: Home & Kitchen

Twice the money ($US75 vs. 35) but has a low O2 sensor and a 'tipped over' shut-off.........
I got one of these a couple of years ago. They come in a variety of BTUs, but mine also has the dual 1lb propane tank holders. I wanted it for the dead of winter, to do some projects in the cabin. With the hull of the boat at 30 degrees, it simply would not dent the interior temperature. I had it running so hard, the tanks were icing up from the rapid gas expansion. Nothing. The boat itself, was essentially a huge heat sink.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-15-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We use this in the fall to take the chill off the cabin when anchored out. No running it when asleep. Vent the cabin a little. Also don't store or leave 1lb bombs connected or otherwise in the cabin. They go outside or in the propane locker as I have seen the valves stick open and sometimes freeze up

Camping Gear, Camping Equipment, Coleman Camping Tents, Discount Outdoor Camping Supplies | CampingComfortably › Tent Heaters

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-15-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
.....Also don't store or leave 1lb bombs connected or otherwise in the cabin. They go outside or in the propane locker as I have seen the valves stick open and sometimes freeze up.....
This is particularly true after using them in a heater, which draws so much fuel that the gas expansion does freeze the valve. This is all the more likely when ambient temps are very low. Do not remove the tanks from the unit until they thaw.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-15-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I've seen some very effective airtight woodstoves built out of old propane bottles.
Old 10-15-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I've seen some very effective airtight woodstoves built out of old propane bottles.
How does that work?
Old 10-15-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Basically just using the bottle as the body of the stove, think 20lb propane cylinder. Cut a hole in the top add air intake and door and off you go. Not a bad idea so long as the cylinder is well vented first. A precaution friends used to take was to remove the valve assembly, after letting it sit for a week or two put it on a fire for a while to burn off paint and any propane.

Huck: Home
check out the Kandle Heeter. Eccentric guy, but the multiple pots over a candle or two makes a lot of sense, will trap and release heat very efficiently.
The link there shows how to make it pretty easily I think.
I'll be making a ducted version of the heat stick, drawing hot air from the cabin top and circulating it at foot level, but that only works when you've already got heat in the cabin.
Old 10-17-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Slightly off topic but necessary info:

"Women tend to be more expensive.
A good Lab will dive into frigid water to fetch a stick, haven't met a girl yet who will do that for me. "

A good test is to lock both the woman and the dog in the car trunk for a few hours. When you open the trunk note which one is happy to see you. Keep that one.

If you are going to burn stuff in the cabin to keep warm get either a carny bird or a CO monitor. You don't want to wake up stiff.
You prefer the company of a companion dense enough to jump into cold water to fetch a stick, over someone with a brain bigger than a golf ball?
Interesting!
You prefer the company of a partner dense enough to be happy to see you after you have locked her in a trunk for two days?
Intellectually challenging!
You prefer have your intellectual conversations with an animal who cant dispute what you are saying?
That's cheatin!
Does your dog ever cook you breakfast, brew a cuppa coffee for you when you come in from the cold, take the helm while you do a sail change, help you reef, wash your clothes, stand watch while you get a bit of sleep, help you get the anchor up on a stormy night, and help you shop?
Wow , smart dog!
Does your dog ever release your frustrations when you get feelin passionate in your bunk?
Now that's creepy!
AlaskaMC likes this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 10-17-2012 at 06:28 PM.