Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
Re: how do i make it warm

There's an old saying, I'm sure you've heard of it: " A penny saved is a penny earned"..............well, this version goes like this : "A BTU saved is a BTU earned"

Insulate everything to the max:
use plastic sheeting to add an extra layer to overhead hatches and portlights
add sheet insulation to the hull where ever you can
seal off dorade vents for the winter (assumming you're not burning fossil fuels)
you get quite a lot of cold radiating from the bilge so use sheets of bubble wrap to help out

after all that, make sure you gain all of the solar heat you can. You can even make a solar oven and use a computer fan/ducting to circulate the heat.

extra clothing layers and a good mummy sleeping bag and you should be good.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
You prefer the company of a companion dense enough to jump into cold water to fetch a stick, over someone with a brain bigger than a golf ball?
Interesting!
You prefer the company of a partner dense enough to be happy to see you after you have locked her in a trunk for two days?
Intellectually challenging!
You prefer have your intellectual conversations with an animal who cant dispute what you are saying?
That's cheatin!
Does your dog ever cook you breakfast, brew a cuppa coffee for you when you come in from the cold, take the helm while you do a sail change, help you reef, wash your clothes, stand watch while you get a bit of sleep, help you get the anchor up on a stormy night, and help you shop?
Wow , smart dog!
Does your dog ever release your frustrations when you get feelin passionate in your bunk?
Now that's creepy!
My girlfriend does few of those things, but my dog is always happy to see me
Andrew65 likes this.
Old 10-17-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmanta View Post
There's an old saying, I'm sure you've heard of it: " A penny saved is a penny earned"..............well, this version goes like this : "A BTU saved is a BTU earned"

Insulate everything to the max
This is excellent advice
Old 10-18-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I got one of these a couple of years ago. They come in a variety of BTUs, but mine also has the dual 1lb propane tank holders. I wanted it for the dead of winter, to do some projects in the cabin. With the hull of the boat at 30 degrees, it simply would not dent the interior temperature. I had it running so hard, the tanks were icing up from the rapid gas expansion. Nothing. The boat itself, was essentially a huge heat sink.
That's because your boat is huge and has the internal volume of a 3br/2ba home on land. Most of us don't have that problem.

I used my Coleman Black Cat propane heater last weekend while I was out cruising. The temperature dropped down to 41F (which I know is no big deal), but I ran the heater on "high" to take the initial edge off, and then on "low" the rest of the time, and I had absolutely NO problem with condensation or excess moisture in the cabin, and the cabin was sooooo cozy. (or was it all the rum I drank?) If the ambient humidity is already high when you use one of these, then you might experience some condensation.

Also, Coleman offers a regulator accessory that allows you to plumb the heater to a large propane tank. Huck could keep the tank out in the cockpit and cut a notch in a spare companionway panel to run the hose through:

Fuel outside of cabin + flameless, catalyzed heat inside of cabin= safer.

Huck,
Do be careful with all of the open flame on the boat, will you? All it takes is a mis-step, and a plate full of tea candles will be scattered all over the cabin lighting the wood bits on fire.

The fellows are right about insulating the hull. You can buy sheets of 1 inch thick, foil-backed insulation panels for about $7.00/sheet from Home Despot. Just ONE of those sheets, properly cut, will insulate all of your window glass, the inside of your forepeak hatch, and probably the hull area along the sides of your V-berth.

I'm building a cockpit cover/boom tent using plastic conduit at $2.00 per 10 foot piece and a $12.00 canvas tarp. This will keep the snow out of the cockpit. Snow is heavy and it sinks boats.

If you can afford a generator, you can scrape a few pennies together for this stuff.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-18-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
That's because your boat is huge and has the internal volume of a 3br/2ba home on land. .....
Not really. The sq ft of our boat would be less than a single wide mobile home/trailer.

I also tried to close both the forward and rear cabins and only heat the salon. Still nothing to write home about. It was 30 outside, maybe it got up to 40 or 45. I will bet you would do better in the water, as the hull would actually be a bit warmer around here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-18-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmanta View Post
...use plastic sheeting to add an extra layer to overhead hatches and portlights.....
I agreed with the rest of the advice, but caution this. It will work, as you trap air between the plastic and the hatch, which is the idea behind double paned windows. However, we have shades that pull over and do essentially the same thing and constantly find condensation collected between the two and have to wipe down small amounts of mildew. We can keep on top of it, because we open and close them frequently, but if we happen to leave one closed for weeks, you can really see it getting a hold. I guess, one just needs to keep on top of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-18-2012

apiratelooksat30 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to apiratelooksat30

I've used the Terracotta pot method as well. Got to be careful, tho....many of the newer ones are either too full of moisture or too thin, and will crack after a couple of uses. For better results, I've used concrete patio bricks (wrapped in foil, in case there's any breakage), and those work well, too. Just heat the bricks up on the stove, and once hot, kill the flames - they'll continue to radiate heat for a while. Always have a hatch cracked for safety. I would use this method when sailing into late Nov. up in New Hampshire - sometimes with the snow spitting about. Nowadays, I have a "Big Buddy" propane heater that works like a charm. Has tip-over and low-ox shutoff, so safety is a little better.

Good Luck!
Old 10-22-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

My 31 footer has remained warm and dry for the last 28 years I have lived aboard her, mostly in BC, even when I have been frozen in 5 inches of ice. The reason? 1 1/2 inch of sprayfoam, covering every bit of metal with at least a half inch of foam, and a good, large ,airtight woodstove, which will burn for up to 14 hours on a load of wood.
Friends have been using the sprayfoam kits, two large 20 pound propane bottle sized tanks hooked up to a spray nozzle. They tell me they are easy to use, and far cheaper than a commercial sprayfoamer.
Old 10-05-2013

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanhermit View Post
I am thinking Hookers, I think the calculation is one Hooker for every 5' 6" of boat. it is recomended to round up, if the calculation does not end up with a whole Hooker.
Hookers are not cheap at all! True, admittedly, they keep you warm for a while, but they are not cheap, one would be enough for you on your boat besides the kid is only 16 years old and doesn`t have a lot of money. He shouldn`t be messing around with hookers...at least not yet. Let him get married and divorced a couple of times before using them money grubbers.

Oh, wait a minute, what kind of Hookers were YOU talking about?

Last edited by Andrew65; 10-05-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-05-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Just don't mention how it was a "three dog night" last night, in front of the hookers. They're liable to misunderstand and take that personally, and then, hooboy, your hide is going to be on the walls.

This may be why Eskimos have dogs, but no hookers. Much safer that way.