SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   how do i make it warm (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/92906-how-do-i-make-warm.html)

smallboatlover 10-09-2012 07:35 PM

how do i make it warm
 
Lately it's bin colder thats what happens in the fall :/ . but i want to keep going out on my boat atleast get some work done iside it. how do i get it warm? remember im looking for simple cheap heater. i got $0 to spend so probally left overs or somethign i need heat. or something warmer. i have 2 batteries on board no way to charge them but i top them off and put them on the boat. ideas please before i freeze.

PaulinVictoria 10-09-2012 08:47 PM

Re: how do i make it warm
 
Presumably you mean the Coronado? For $0 you could gradually burn the interior, or the Mistral. Or you could see if you can find an unpressurised alcohol stove and a terracotta pot.

erps 10-09-2012 08:58 PM

Re: how do i make it warm
 
Years ago, when you could buy oil in 2 gallon tins, I made a small wood stove out of an oil tin that I mounted on a piece of plywood in the companion way hatch. I burned presto log pieces in it. I wouldn't say that it made the cabin warm, but it was warmer than the ambient temperature outside.

seaboy 10-09-2012 08:59 PM

Re: how do i make it warm
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallboatlover (Post 931415)
Lately it's bin colder thats what happens in the fall :/ . but i want to keep going out on my boat atleast get some work done iside it. how do i get it warm? remember im looking for simple cheap heater. i got $0 to spend so probally left overs or somethign i need heat. or something warmer. i have 2 batteries on board no way to charge them but i top them off and put them on the boat. ideas please before i freeze.

buy a couple of big tins of vegetable shortening and put a few wicks in each of them, burns hot and bright, good enough to cook on as well, wont get any cheaper than that, iv used that method as a tent heater before in sub zero conditions. make sure you ventalate the cabin though if you have loads of them going.
all the best

joethecobbler 10-09-2012 09:55 PM

Re: how do i make it warm
 
propane heater ?
or build a woodstove as I have. wood is easy to find, I forage for drift wood or hit up construction sites for end cuts. They love it when you pick up after them. got 3 grain bags full right now on deck as I make my way across the Erie and southward.

chucklesR 10-10-2012 09:00 AM

Re: how do i make it warm
 
I have a 1500 btu propane heater that screws onto the top of the 2 lb bulbs. It warms a cabin nicely.

For zero bucks, try rubbing various body parts.

Tim R. 10-10-2012 09:28 AM

Re: how do i make it warm
 
Budget = $0
Solutions = 0

Find a good woman or a dog or both. Neither of them are free though.;)

RobGallagher 10-10-2012 09:51 AM

Re: how do i make it warm
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by treilley (Post 931556)
Budget = $0
Solutions = 0

Find a good woman or a dog or both. Neither of them are free though.;)

Women tend to be more expensive.

A good Lab will dive into frigid water to fetch a stick, haven't met a girl yet who will do that for me.

peterchech 10-10-2012 09:58 AM

Re: how do i make it warm
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesR (Post 931548)
I have a 1500 btu propane heater that screws onto the top of the 2 lb bulbs. It warms a cabin nicely.

How do you set this up in the cabin so as to avoid co poisoning? Can you use this while under weigh?

Ulladh 10-10-2012 10:00 AM

Re: how do i make it warm
 
Hardware store kerosene lantern. heat and light, but keep a hatch open.

V&OŽ Oil Lamp - Camping Equipment - Ace Hardware


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012