Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: Is the C&C 30 MK1 a capible offshore boat?

After seeing how much the racers tune their rigs before every race I am far less concerned with shroud tightening than I used to be. If the leeward shrouds are just dangling slightly, then I believe that is right for the conditions. If they can flop around, as stated earlier, then that is probably too much. By flop around I mean if they can move in more than an inch diameter circle when the boat is totally loaded up going upwind.

It can get much more scientific than that, but for cruising I keep mine always at the tightest setting since I never really like to change the settings it's just not worth it for daysailing/non-racing.

You have rod rigging right?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

I assume the offshore voyage article referenced above is the cross-Atlantic trip made in a C&C 30 I. So the boat can take the predictable demands, but IMHO its really not suitable, as most any racer/cruiser of the type is not, lacking the storage needed for such a trip, starting with 25 gallons of water...Can one do it...yes. Is the boat a good choice...no.

As an example of what I mean, you can click around and find the story of the folks who entered a CS 30 in a Bermuda race. Now the CS 30 is a sweet racer/cruiser, comparable strength-wise to a C&C 30, but with more carrying capacity. Anyway the weather turned bad, some lose ends became problems, some problems became very uncomfortable and scary, and the crew called the USCG for rescue, leaving the boat to float off to points unknown. The CS 30 is a very nice boat, but not suitable for offshore use.
Old 10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
I assume the offshore voyage article referenced above is the cross-Atlantic trip made in a C&C 30 I. So the boat can take the predictable demands, but IMHO its really not suitable, as most any racer/cruiser of the type is not, lacking the storage needed for such a trip, starting with 25 gallons of water...Can one do it...yes. Is the boat a good choice...no.

As an example of what I mean, you can click around and find the story of the folks who entered a CS 30 in a Bermuda race. Now the CS 30 is a sweet racer/cruiser, comparable strength-wise to a C&C 30, but with more carrying capacity. Anyway the weather turned bad, some lose ends became problems, some problems became very uncomfortable and scary, and the crew called the USCG for rescue, leaving the boat to float off to points unknown. The CS 30 is a very nice boat, but not suitable for offshore use.
I have read many stories about boats going down or sailors needing rescue. Almost always it seems that boat strength wasn't the issue. Usually if the boat had complied with the ISAF cat 1 rules the result would have been different.

Are you suggesting that the laminate schedule and transverse frames on a c&c 30 just aren't strong enough? Or is it a design problem under the waterline? Standard mast too wobbly to survive repeated knockdowns?

Tankage can be a pain, but its possible to bring jugs of water and use sparingly for a week while sailing to Bermuda... design wise I would rather be in a racer cruiser than an old school full keeled boat any day, I don't buy all that crap about fin keelers somehow not being seaworthy, Imho the opposite is true
Old 10-10-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

LT,

I have been following your adventure since bringing the old gal back to life. You are certainly ready for your next phase and I commend you for making slow steady progress and gaining experienece instead of going out once in the ocean, taking unecessary weather risks, and claiming you are offshore sailing or been in all conditions. The more time you spend on her the more those statements will have validity.

I suggest you do as planned and start making some coastal hops to other ports watching your weather windows. Navigating inlets, currents, wave actions, ocean shoals is anoither skill which you will need in going to Bermuda. Your boat is certainly strong enough to handle constant ocean inlet hopping. You may wan t to eventually invest in some bladder extensions for your water systems and a chartplotter for redundency of safety.

We have no problem taking our C&C35MKIII ( you boats slightly larger sister) from the Chesapeake up to Massachucettes offshore which has been a 3 day 600 mile trip easily. We still watch our weather window.

I would suggest you take an offshore sailing course ( usually 3 days offshore) to give you some of the other skills as well as learn what you should have and outfit you boat with for the open ocean crossing to Bermuda.

Good luck and way to go for your restoration.

dave
ltgoshen likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Old 10-10-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Itgoshen, what camera did you use for the video? And +1 on the nice boat!
The only camra I own is the GOPRO Hero.
Thanks
Old 10-10-2012
First String

Thanks for the kind encouragement;chef2sail. I donít want to bite off more than I can chew thatís for sure. I have learned a lot this summer. Iíve only been able to go out 14 times. I have come to realize that the dock is where the danger is. Once Iím out of port and under sail the danger goes way down. I mean the prevailing south wind drives me into my slip. I have to be patience and wait for the slack tide. The dang tide here is like ripping at 3 to 5 knots sometime. A few weeks back, I had someone hit me while I was tied up on the face dock, and did not tell anybody. It messed up the gel-cote on the stern. I patched it. I have a Garmin 215 Black and white Plotter I picked up for $100 bucks. It will take some time to learn all it can do. Someone told me I can mark the dock and it will show me the way back after a day of sailing. That will be great. Its just time, I just need more time. I am shooting for 18 months right now? Weíll see. If Iím not ready then I will not go.\
Thanks again for the encouragement chef2sail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
LT,

I have been following your adventure since bringing the old gal back to life. You are certainly ready for your next phase and I commend you for making slow steady progress and gaining experienece instead of going out once in the ocean, taking unecessary weather risks, and claiming you are offshore sailing or been in all conditions. The more time you spend on her the more those statements will have validity.

I suggest you do as planned and start making some coastal hops to other ports watching your weather windows. Navigating inlets, currents, wave actions, ocean shoals is anoither skill which you will need in going to Bermuda. Your boat is certainly strong enough to handle constant ocean inlet hopping. You may wan t to eventually invest in some bladder extensions for your water systems and a chartplotter for redundency of safety.

We have no problem taking our C&C35MKIII ( you boats slightly larger sister) from the Chesapeake up to Massachucettes offshore which has been a 3 day 600 mile trip easily. We still watch our weather window.

I would suggest you take an offshore sailing course ( usually 3 days offshore) to give you some of the other skills as well as learn what you should have and outfit you boat with for the open ocean crossing to Bermuda.

Good luck and way to go for your restoration.

dave
HDChopper likes this.
Old 10-10-2012
First String

My Boat holds 70 Gals of Water, 20 Gals of Diesel and 30 Gals of waste. But I do respect your opinion. It may not be suitable. That being said. I will gain the experience and learn the capabilities by trial and error. As chef2sail explains below, harbor hopping will help. Thanks for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post

Old 10-10-2012
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Steering the boat with your feet is a clear violation of the ISAF offshore Cat 1 regulations...and the COLREGS if I remember correctly...
Quit relaxing even still. HAHHAA
Old 10-10-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Considering there is no shower in a 30MKI, the water tanks are pretty big for a 30 ft boat. I think my '72 held about 70 or 80 gallons of water in three tanks (one small one was about 10 gallons and separate from the rest of the water system just for drinking water.)
Old 10-10-2012

Ltgoshen, ever consider crewing on a j-29 at ur local Phrf fleet? Some racing will really teach u about pushing boats to their limits, which will come in handy offshore