Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Is the C&C 30 MK1 a capible offshore boat?

Water may not be the issue. Fuel definately is, but can be beefed up with jerry cans 20 gallons of fuel is more than 30 hours on my boat at 2700 rpm unless motoring to current or rough seas.

Mosr boats are safer in the water away from the dock. Ocean Boats are safer in deeper water, they get into trouble more in shallow water. ( i.e inlets, passages into islands, docks)

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Ltgoshen, ever consider crewing on a j-29 at ur local Phrf fleet? Some racing will really teach u about pushing boats to their limits, which will come in handy offshore
Yea, I have reached out a few times. I had a few conversations with the folks over at the Beaufort Yacht & Sailing Club. I may try again. It’s just a bit awkward when you are not member.
Old 10-12-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Post a crew ad on sailing anarchy, or start a thread here even. or else just show up at the weekly beer can races and mention to a few strangers that u want to find a ride. Even if a particular boat doesn't need crew that day, my experience is that it is not unusual for sailors to ask aound and find a boat for a complete stranger. Sailors really are the best people. Just don't be shy

If ur ever up in the new York area I'll get u on a boat up here just pm me.
Old 10-12-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Let's go back to the standing rigging for a moment.

ltgoshen, I'm not trying to be an alarmist or anything, but there was recently a thread from another C&C 30 here in the Annapolis area who observed that no matter what he did, his leeward rigging was always way too slack.

The problem ended up being that his mast partners were missing, and his compression post was sinking. I think he had rot at the bottom or something. Apparently this problem is somewhat common to these boats, but it is repairable, and not a boat-killer.

I'm not saying that's you're problem, but take some time and ensure that your mast partners are in place, and in good shape and inspect the base of your compression post for rot or "sinking". I encourage you to go to the C&C forum and ask about this so that you know what you're looking for when you inspect these items.
--------------------------

As to the question of whether or not your boat is ok for off-shore use, I've pondered this myself about my own Pearson 30, and this is the answer I came up with:

Our boats are either overbuilt coastal cruisers or underbuilt off-shore boats. They are very tough, which is why it's so tempting to take them so far, but they do lack some structural components that would enable them to take an off-shore pounding and survive in better condition. It's not just the lack of tankage in my opinion.

I'm not trying to deter you, in fact, I say go for it. Just know the boat's weakpoints and limitations and try to mitigate them as best you can.
chef2sail likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-12-2012
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road

The question of whether such and such a boat is suitable to go bluewater sailing is best answered by another question: is the sailor ready to go bluewater sailing?

The old saying about the boat being able to take more punishment than her people rings true. If you know your boat and know yourself, you will know if your C&C 30 Mk1 will take you to Bermuda safely. If you are not sure, get all the experience you can, on the water and from forums like this too.

Good luck and see you out there one of these days...
chef2sail likes this.
Old 10-12-2012

Hey and there are always a few mods you can do to beef up your boat structurally. Might be a good idea to get this book
The Elements of Boat Strength: For Builders,Designers,and Owners: Dave Gerr: 9780070231597: Amazon.com: Books The Elements of Boat Strength: For Builders,Designers,and Owners: Dave Gerr: 9780070231597: Amazon.com: Books

and see what can be done.

But again, far fewer boats are lost from total structural failures than are lost to things like open companionway hatches in a rollover, inadequate cockpit draining, inadequate storm gear, broken or leaky hatches, man overboards, etc., that the ISAF rules address in detail...
Old 10-12-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
........But again, far fewer boats are lost from total structural failures than are lost to things like open companionway hatches in a rollover, inadequate cockpit draining, inadequate storm gear, broken or leaky hatches, man overboards, etc., that the ISAF rules address in detail...
and many (maybe more?) voyages go wrong because crew(s) become incapacitated or panicked or otherwise out of their comfort zones...
chef2sail likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-12-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

Definitely check your mast step, even if your rigging does tune well. This is a common failure on this boat, but not too hard a fix.
My other concern on this boat is the plexiglas portlights-these are too lightweight (1/8") and could be entirely blown in by a broadside from a breaking wave. At the very least I'd want covers I could bolt over them if I knew bad weather was coming.
As for carrying extra fuel, you probably have an Atomic 4, right? I'd rather run low on fuel than carry jerry cans of gasoline, unless you can secure them well and protected.
I'd get to know your boat very well before I'd feel comfortable doing the planned trip. I think the boat is capable if it's in A1 shape, but you want to know where all the weak points are and fix them first.

Last edited by msmith10; 10-12-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2012

Yeah the portlights on C&C's were usually glued in. The ones on my father's 1982 C&C were literally coming off, the glue had failed after 30 years of sun and salt water. We replaced them with new acrylic (the older this stuff gets the more brittle it gets) and re-glued, this time through-bolting them in as well. I seriously doubt his portlights are 1/8" thick, as the ones on my father's boat were 3/8 and the boat is only 2 ft longer. Maybe they are 1/4", which I agree you prob want at least 3/8...
Old 10-12-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith10 View Post
Definitely check your mast step, even if your rigging does tune well. This is a common failure on this boat, but not too hard a fix.
As for carrying extra fuel, you probably have an Atomic 4, right? I'd rather run low on fuel than carry jerry cans of gasoline, unless you can secure them well and protected.
Its a Yanmay 2GM it only sipps fuel as I have tested it. 20 Gal tank will get me to Charleston from Beaufort and half the way back. 172 miles.