Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: Is the C&C 30 MK1 a capible offshore boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Let's go back to the standing rigging for a moment.

ltgoshen, I'm not trying to be an alarmist or anything, but there was recently a thread from another C&C 30 here in the Annapolis area who observed that no matter what he did, his leeward rigging was always way too slack.

The problem ended up being that his mast partners were missing, and his compression post was sinking. I think he had rot at the bottom or something. Apparently this problem is somewhat common to these boats, but it is repairable, and not a boat-killer.

I'm not saying that's you're problem, but take some time and ensure that your mast partners are in place, and in good shape and inspect the base of your compression post for rot or "sinking". I encourage you to go to the C&C forum and ask about this so that you know what you're looking for when you inspect these items.
--------------------------

As to the question of whether or not your boat is ok for off-shore use, I've pondered this myself about my own Pearson 30, and this is the answer I came up with:

Our boats are either overbuilt coastal cruisers or underbuilt off-shore boats. They are very tough, which is why it's so tempting to take them so far, but they do lack some structural components that would enable them to take an off-shore pounding and survive in better condition. It's not just the lack of tankage in my opinion.

I'm not trying to deter you, in fact, I say go for it. Just know the boat's weakpoints and limitations and try to mitigate them as best you can.
The Older C&C 30's were sitting on wood mine is the newer model made with an aluminum mast steep thru the cabin and mounted otop the keel. It is strong. I have inspected the Standing rigging all looks good. I do have an instrument to tune the rigging and the instructions for doing so. I was just asking how much slack i should expect when under a good blow. By the way I am Planning fy first Port Hop. Looks like the weekend of November 9-11. Weather permitting of course we will shag down to the Georgia coast. Then head back up to hilton head to spend the night at Scull Creek Marina. Then back out side to the bell marker then back to Beaufort. I'm excited.
Thanks fior your help.
BubbleheadMd likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Another consideration is that many more boats are lost on the shore than in the open ocean. While a coastal sailor may find comfort in being near an inlet you may in fact be much safer with ocean around you rather than rocks.
The physical stress has to be experienced to be believed. On my last trip their was four of us and during a storm we were taking two hour shifts and it is amazing how exhausting it was.

If you are tired, and you will be, the urge to head for the inlet is overwhelming while that may be the worst possible option.
sailordave likes this.
Old 10-12-2012
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
The question of whether such and such a boat is suitable to go bluewater sailing is best answered by another question: is the sailor ready to go bluewater sailing?

The old saying about the boat being able to take more punishment than her people rings true. If you know your boat and know yourself, you will know if your C&C 30 Mk1 will take you to Bermuda safely. If you are not sure, get all the experience you can, on the water and from forums like this too.

Good luck and see you out there one of these days...
Yes Sir, I know Iím not ready as of yet. I am cautious. I WANT TO LIVE... HAHA any wa6y I will go for short day trips offshore for the next 18 months or so before I do a "TRIP" I want to really get to know the boat and its abilities. This takes a commitment to cast off every time I can and challenge the weather a bit. I need to learn to reef in a controlled environment, close to home. Port Royal sound is bought three and a half miles wide and 14 miles long. That may be just the ticket in the learning grounds. I will practice anchoring and standing 3 hour watches. I And you are right a bought this forum, I have met some great people that have done nothing but encourage me but at the same time keeping me safe with warnings and advise. I'm glad I found this site. Thanks again for your help.
Old 10-12-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

That's good that you've got a diesel.
Get to know your boat. I've owned mine for 10 years, repaired or replaced all or part of every system, so I know what's in good shape and trustworthy and what isn't and will require attention in the future. That gives me an appropriate level of confidence and a strong working knowledge of the boat so in an emergency I know what's wrong and how to get at it and fix it.

Last edited by msmith10; 10-12-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
Yes Sir, I know Iím not ready as of yet. I am cautious. I WANT TO LIVE... HAHA any wa6y I will go for short day trips offshore for the next 18 months or so before I do a "TRIP" I want to really get to know the boat and its abilities. This takes a commitment to cast off every time I can and challenge the weather a bit. I need to learn to reef in a controlled environment, close to home. Port Royal sound is bought three and a half miles wide and 14 miles long. That may be just the ticket in the learning grounds. I will practice anchoring and standing 3 hour watches. I And you are right a bought this forum, I have met some great people that have done nothing but encourage me but at the same time keeping me safe with warnings and advise. I'm glad I found this site. Thanks again for your help.
If this has not crossed you mind and is not in your plan, please consider crewing an off shore voyage with other captains. There are plenty of nice and knowledge captains are willing to take on a newbies. Do this first before you venture out on you own C&C 30. I am sure your C&C will out live you and me.
msmith10 likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-12-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

LT,

Stick to you plan. The advice of finding someone to do some offshore passage making in the next 18 months is a good idea. Sans that taking a 3 day offshore sailing course will also help a lot too. You short coastal hops will be good experiene in understanding begnin as well as moderate ocean conditions, I am sure you are doing a lot of reading inyour preparations too. Keep moving forward.

Dave
msmith10 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Old 10-12-2012
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith10 View Post
That's good that you've got a diesel.
Get to know your boat. I've owned mine for 10 years, repaired or replaced all or part of every system, so I know what's in good shape and trustworthy and what isn't and will require attention in the future. That gives me an appropriate level of confidence and a strong working knowledge of the boat so in an emergency I know what's wrong and how to get at it and fix it.
Just a little back ground on The S/V eastcoastlady . She was on a mooring ball shin deep in rain water. her bimini was blowing in the wind Here is a list of what I have done.
1) pull out the Holli/teak soles replace with fake wood flooring
2) new bilg pump
3) all new halyards
4) All engine filters.
5) drain 17 gals of fuel and replace
6) new Head
7) Pro, cleaned all cusions with new plastic internal covers.
8) rebuild the 3 burner Pressure stove. Works great
9) tune the rigging
10) haul out have cleaned and painted.
11) stuffing box cleaned and repacked
12) New anchor rode and shackles.
13) new Garmin 215 installed.
14 New motor for the pressure water system
15) clean all 4 holding tanks out with bleach and Bacon soda
16) tighten all toe rail bolts to stop the rain water leaks.
__________________________________________________ ________

Left to do:
1) New Life lines
2) new Autohelm motor if and when I can find one.
3) Speed transducer trouble shoot and repair.
4) Sound proof the Engine locker.
So You are right it helps to get to know your boat for sure.
I got started in December and have spent like 4375 dollars not including the slip fees.
Thanks for the advise Im still learning but having a blast.
have a great week end.
davidpm and jameswilson29 like this.
Old 10-16-2012
1979 C&C 30 MK1

flyingjib is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
The Older C&C 30's were sitting on wood mine is the newer model made with an aluminum mast steep thru the cabin and mounted otop the keel. It is strong. I have inspected the Standing rigging all looks good. I do have an instrument to tune the rigging and the instructions for doing so. I was just asking how much slack i should expect when under a good blow. By the way I am Planning fy first Port Hop. Looks like the weekend of November 9-11. Weather permitting of course we will shag down to the Georgia coast. Then head back up to hilton head to spend the night at Scull Creek Marina. Then back out side to the bell marker then back to Beaufort. I'm excited.
Thanks fior your help.
I'm the "other C&C in Annapolis" BubbleheadMd has mentioned here. I ended up rebuilding my mast step. It was all rotted away. PITA but nothing complicated and took a weekend. The new and improved mast step with addition of proper mast partners made things much better. No more flopping leeward shrouds...

As you said, I think from hull # 600 they switched to a sturdy aluminum mast step. No more half glassed water soaked plywood:

Here is how mine looked like:

Last edited by flyingjib; 10-17-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-06-2013
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith10 View Post
Definitely check your mast step, even if your rigging does tune well. This is a common failure on this boat, but not too hard a fix.
My other concern on this boat is the plexiglas portlights-these are too lightweight (1/8") and could be entirely blown in by a broadside from a breaking wave. At the very least I'd want covers I could bolt over them if I knew bad weather was coming.
As for carrying extra fuel, you probably have an Atomic 4, right? I'd rather run low on fuel than carry jerry cans of gasoline, unless you can secure them well and protected.
I'd get to know your boat very well before I'd feel comfortable doing the planned trip. I think the boat is capable if it's in A1 shape, but you want to know where all the weak points are and fix them first.
The Mast step is on a alumumn mount and in great shape, I have tuned the rigg with a fellow sailboat owner at the dock and now seams fine under a windward load.
Old 05-06-2013
First String

O.K well here we go. I have committed deb and I to a 2 night 3 day sail on the upcoming Memorial day weekend. It will be around 70 miles and we will dock the first night on Hilton head at the marina. Hilton Head Harbor
from there we will head out to the THE BLUE BOUNDARY separating Hilton Head Island from the mainland is a wide, sweeping waterway named Calibogue Sound. The sound is melded from the confluence of Mackay Creek, May River, Cooper River, Broad Creek, and six tributaries on Hilton Head Island. Deep and 13 miles long, this waterway curves like the body of a dolphin and connects the Atlantic Ocean with Port Royal Sound. It is a place of history and natural wonders, beckoning discovery.
From there we will head to the Freeport Marina on Dafuskie. This Island in only accessable by boat. It was named by the slaves of the time they called it "the first key" or DAFUSKIE.
We will leave there and head out to the Ocean at tybee roads the shipping channel for the Savannah river and make out turn northwest. Our praviling wind should be from the south putting us wind on wing or a broad reach. We will then make our way to the bell marker "G" at martins industry and make our way back in to the port Royal sound "Back in familure waters. Hope to be on a incoming tide where the 10 miles back home will be a brease.
thanks so much to all you guys for helping and guiding a newby in this process. I'm excited to get out there. I fear if I did not have yall guideing me along it would have taken years to prepair for this trip.[IMG][/IMG]
Faster and jameswilson29 like this.

Last edited by ltgoshen; 05-06-2013 at 08:34 PM.