Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Is the C&C 30 MK1 a capible offshore boat?

I have been in and around the Port Royal sound with this boat all summer. I have not ventured off shore yet. It takes like 10 to get to the ocean from my home port. To be frank, itís quite intimidating thinking of going offshore by myself. I will go of shore this month for a day trip. Then, maybe a trip to the next sound south of here for an over-nightersí. I was hoping, I could get some insight if this is capable boat for offshore cruising.
Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Is the C&C 30 MK1 a capible offshore boat?

What you're suggesting is more 'coastal harbour hopping' than 'off shore' sailing. Your boat should be fine for that, esp if you're careful about the weather you choose to go out in.

Off shore sailing is generally considered to be crossing oceans or major bodies of water, usually involving several consecutive overnight sails.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-10-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

You are probably fine for what you are wanting to do. C&C's are generally well built, well designed boats capable of pretty much anything you will experience coastally (just don't go out in hurricanes or tropical storms). I go out into the "ocean" with my old hunter 25 regularly, so you should be fine on that boat, again provided you keep an eye on the weather. Just make sure you have at least two reef points on the main, and ideally a %50 jib or some other type of "storm" foresail. If you have no "storm" jib, practice unfurling your genny 25%, and make sure you can make progress upwind with it. Don't rely on the motor for when the wind comes up. Also practice heaving to, and doing sail changes and reefs while actually under sail. (Reef the main by either going upwind and keeping the jib sheet tight while blowing the mainsheet but maintaining your course, or by heaving-to and reefing the main. Change the jib by either "peeling" the new jib onto the second headfoil slot, then tacking and dropping the original jib, or else by running downwind and covering the jib with the main to allow you to get it down onto the deck and put up the new one.)

If you are talking about doing a trip to Bermuda, that's a different story. The boat can probably make it, but will have to be modified to ensure ISAF compliance. You can find the ISAF offshore rules online, they are extremely helpful in identifying the seaworthy and the not so seaworthy features of your boat.

My father has an '82 C&C 32, and it is a very high quality boat with wonderful sailing qualities. The hull thickness is more than adequate, only the lexan ports were original and held on with glue. They were coming off so we re-glued and through-bolted them. The hatches are original and leak when waves wash over the deck, getting the v-birth wet, so will eventually be replaced though it is rare to get water over the deck generally so we are gonna leave them for a few more years.
Old 10-10-2012
First String

Well my plans would have me doing the 945 nm from The Port Royal Sound in SC to Bermuda in the fall of 2014. After 2 years of practice, I hope I am ready and hope the boat is able. I will use the next 18 months to make some port hopping along Say: Georgetown, Charleston, Hilton Head, Savannah, St Augustine and the like. I want to hug the coast in all conditions to gain experience with sleep deprivation keeping watch, lack of food and general prep. Let me know what you think?
Old 10-10-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

First off, let me say that I have no experience in what I would consider offshore sailing.

That being said, there are much worse choices of a good all around 30 ft boat, but, I'm not really sure what you mean by "offshore".

I'm gonna gamble on a big generalization here; For most people, offshore means going further than, say, 25 miles off the coast for more than 24 hrs with no safe harbors to get into for at least 24 hrs. Farther and longer than that means that you may need more safety gear and more heavy weather experience. You have to face the fact that you could be hours or days from medical attention if injured or sick. Traveling in a boat that averages 5 knots means that you have to be prepared for weather some of us would could not imagine dealing with.

Can the C&C 30 MK I take a beating? Hell yes. More so than many boats.
Can it cross an ocean? Yes.
Is it ideal for crossing the Atlantic? Probably not ideal.

For a short coastal hop, the most important issue after the condition of the vessel is your weather window.

Sailing down the coast for a few hours to the next harbor is not what I would call "offshore" and I think many would agree.

You may find that sailing out on the ocean is kind of boring compared to having rocks, islands, beaches,buoys, currents, and other boats to make things interesting

edit: did not see your next post until after I posted this. I think your plan is pretty solid.

Last edited by RobGallagher; 10-10-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2012
First String

S/V East Coast Lady

Here are a few photos od the boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
You are probably fine for what you are wanting to do. C&C's are generally well built, well designed boats capable of pretty much anything you will experience coastally (just don't go out in hurricanes or tropical storms). I go out into the "ocean" with my old hunter 25 regularly, so you should be fine on that boat, again provided you keep an eye on the weather. Just make sure you have at least two reef points on the main, and ideally a %50 jib or some other type of "storm" foresail. If you have no "storm" jib, practice unfurling your genny 25%, and make sure you can make progress upwind with it. Don't rely on the motor for when the wind comes up. Also practice heaving to, and doing sail changes and reefs while actually under sail. (Reef the main by either going upwind and keeping the jib sheet tight while blowing the mainsheet but maintaining your course, or by heaving-to and reefing the main. Change the jib by either "peeling" the new jib onto the second headfoil slot, then tacking and dropping the original jib, or else by running downwind and covering the jib with the main to allow you to get it down onto the deck and put up the new one.)

If you are talking about doing a trip to Bermuda, that's a different story. The boat can probably make it, but will have to be modified to ensure ISAF compliance. You can find the ISAF offshore rules online, they are extremely helpful in identifying the seaworthy and the not so seaworthy features of your boat.

My father has an '82 C&C 32, and it is a very high quality boat with wonderful sailing qualities. The hull thickness is more than adequate, only the lexan ports were original and held on with glue. They were coming off so we re-glued and through-bolted them. The hatches are original and leak when waves wash over the deck, getting the v-birth wet, so will eventually be replaced though it is rare to get water over the deck generally so we are gonna leave them for a few more years.
Old 10-10-2012

Here's a link to the ISAF regulations. If your boat can comply with the category 1 regulations, then it is ready to go to Bermuda.

http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/OSR2012Complete24012012Colour-[11765].pdf

My father and I are planning to do Bermuda in his boat eventually, but it will be a while before we have it completely up to cat 1 and ready to go.

Last edited by peterchech; 10-10-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

My father has an '82 C&C 32, and it is a very high quality boat with wonderful sailing qualities. The hull thickness is more than adequate, only the lexan ports were original and held on with glue. They were coming off so we re-glued and through-bolted them. The hatches are original and leak when waves wash over the deck, getting the v-birth wet, so will eventually be replaced though it is rare to get water over the deck generally so we are gonna leave them for a few more years.[/QUOTE]

Peter, I've redone the hatches on my C&C. Send me a message and I can fill you in if you are interested.
Old 10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
S/V East Coast Lady

Here are a few photos od the boat
Nice boat BTW! My dock mate has the same exact one, very spacious inside and all the go-fast fixings (inboard tracks etc) come standard I believe on the boat.
Old 10-10-2012
First String

By the way, I had some great sailing the other weekend and the noticed that the lee standing rigging was limp. I know that it should be lose more so that the windward side but how much? I have a tuning gauge that came with the boat when I boat. I used the gauge and tuned the boat according to the specs. That being said Its probably fine just wanted to ask if this is norma

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
First off, let me say that I have no experience in what I would consider offshore sailing.

That being said, there are much worse choices of a good all around 30 ft boat, but, I'm not really sure what you mean by "offshore".

I'm gonna gamble on a big generalization here; For most people, offshore means going further than, say, 25 miles off the coast for more than 24 hrs with no safe harbors to get into for at least 24 hrs. Farther and longer than that means that you may need more safety gear and more heavy weather experience. You have to face the fact that you could be hours or days from medical attention if injured or sick. Traveling in a boat that averages 5 knots means that you have to be prepared for weather some of us would could not imagine dealing with.

Can the C&C 30 MK I take a beating? Hell yes. More so than many boats.
Can it cross an ocean? Yes.
Is it ideal for crossing the Atlantic? Probably not ideal.

For a short coastal hop, the most important issue after the condition of the vessel is your weather window.

Sailing down the coast for a few hours to the next harbor is not what I would call "offshore" and I think many would agree.

You may find that sailing out on the ocean is kind of boring compared to having rocks, islands, beaches,buoys, currents, and other boats to make things interesting

edit: did not see your next post until after I posted this. I think your plan is pretty solid.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.